Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Could honestly see Anita being our RB (if Janmaat goes).

He played full back at Ajax sometimes, played it previously with us, then the last 5 (4? whatever.. last few) games of last season he was one of our best players at RB under Rafa. 

Not sure Gamez will be a starter, seems more a squad player for anywhere across the back 4. He's been a squad player at Atleti too, playing (starting) mostly in the Copa del Rey and backup in the league/CL

Atleti are one of the best teams in Europe, I'd be massively surprised if he left there just to be a backup again at a much much worse team

Edit: What Mole said

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/vurnon-anita-how-many-positions-11668022

Just how many positions is Anita capable of playing?

Nominally he’s a defensive-midfielder, but in recent months Anita has played left-back, right-back - and now at Southend he operated as right-forward in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

For a good few years Anita flattered to deceive at Newcastle, but Benitez clearly loves his versatility and workrate - and his faith in the diminutive Dutchman is certainly being rewarded.

His goal at Roots Hall was a thing of beauty - reacting quickest to a loose ball to arrow an effort across Mark Oxley in the Southend goal and into the far corner of the net.

Clearly Anita is not a right-sided midfielder, but his tireless work ethic has made him a firm Benitez favourite in a short space of time.

Anita will have a massive role to play this season, that’s for sure.

He was playing the right-most of a midfield 3 IMO, not wide right. His best position, whether he can do it every week in the PL is one thing but in the Championship I would definitely give him the shirt.

Always had him more to the left of a middle 3 (thats the only way I saw him getting a regular spot). His coming to the right was because of McLarens ploy of Krul playing it out short , Janmaat pushing up, Sissoko going more central and Anita would drop into right back from centre midfiled. Had me going mental.

Nee way he'll just be allowed to leave. I'd also be happy if he was signed up for longer. There's a reason we had to pay 8.5m to Ajax for him and there's a reason he was a regular starter for them too.

Great attitude and he's getting to grips with the game here now I think. Technically great on the ball and versatile. Benitez loves a player like that.

Does this Hayden kid for the bill for defensive midfield?

Never seen so much adoration on here for a player who has been so poor for so long.

He was good at RB for sure though. But he's been overall very poor at CM. I can see him getting games this season but not at CM.

"Technically great on the ball"? As in neat first touch, slick 5m pass sideways? He makes Jermaine Jenas look like Andrea Pirlo.

Never seen so much adoration on here for a player who has been so poor for so long.

He was good at RB for sure though. But he's been overall very poor at CM. I can see him getting games this season but not at CM.

"Technically great on the ball"? As in neat first touch, slick 5m pass sideways? He makes Jermaine Jenas look like Andrea Pirlo.

Someone said he was our best player yesterday

Someone said he was our best player yesterday

TCD has previously tried to deflect criticism of Colback by claiming that Anita is the same. I don't see how anyone who watches a game rather than read up on the stats could come to that conclusion. Anita closes down space far quicker, that alone makes him far more effective when tackling, which is after all a major requirement for a defensive midfielder/full back.

Nah, he's always been better than he's been given credit for by the hustle mongs.

He's generally been absolutely shit, as most have been for the last few years tbf. Disliked him a lot as a player but warmed to him a lot at the end of last season.

Will be very useful this season.

I'm just really happy to see he's working his tail off and Rafa is trusting him to play in both fullback and midfield positions. I think it says a ton to what our manager thinks of him when he's played him in all of these positions and performed quite well, beginning last season and into preseason.

No.  I've said Colback is a poor CM, Vurnon Anita is also a poor CM. Neither can impose themselves on a PL midfield game consistently.  Think this is down to a lack of physical prowess for the both of them.  Sure Anita is faster and is better positionally - he still struggles badly when up against a Stephen N'Zonzi. Neither can protect a defence.  Neither can score many goals.  Neither is creative. When you ask either of them to play a more expansive game - they cannot do it - they give the ball away so instead they both pass responsibility on the ball 5m sideways or perhaps back to Mbemba.  Neither can carry the ball forward from midfield. Neither will ever be much cop regular as PL midfielders. 

They are shit in many similar ways. Tiote and Shelvey have major issues themselves.  Taking responsibility on the ball isn't one.  Tiote can cover ground physically and impose himself on a match (this can be good or bad).  Shelvey can pull off a forward pass.

Tiote hasn't covered ground physically in years until the run-in under Rafa by the way, where i'll say 100% he was EVERYWHERE and in the right place all the time.

I love Vurn as our utility player by the way and with his attitude and work ethic, I'm happy for him.

I'm just really happy to see he's working his tail off and Rafa is trusting him to play in both fullback and midfield positions. I think it says a ton to what our manager thinks of him when he's played him in all of these positions and performed quite well, beginning last season and into preseason.

:thup:

Was thinking it must be getting time to move on to Anita to have the same conversation again. I hope the one next month is as riveting.

It would be handy if TCD could list his opinions on the current squad in his sig, so all posters are aware even if they're a bit forgetful.

Was thinking it must be getting time to move on to Anita to have the same conversation again. I hope the one next month is as riveting.

It would be handy if TCD could list his opinions on the current squad in his sig, so all posters are aware even if they're a bit forgetful.

Whole new squad virtually now.  Will be interesting if we don't outclass our opposition like the last time.

I might create a thread about my opinions which I can evolve as time goes on.  I can use to copy and paste into specific discussions too. 

Great idea Interpol