Douglas

BONTEMPI

We're the club with the most potential out of the three.  Although Fulham are close, especially with the London factor.

London factor is well over played it only has any relevance if your successful. For s*** teams it's hardly an advantage at all.

If he chooses Fulham or West Ham over us he wants his head looking at.

Have we had a bid accepted for Douglas like?

My post was using the scenario that all 3 clubs had accepted offers. Of course i know we haven't.

But i don't consider Fulham and West Ham a threat, the only way they beat us to signing him is if we get cheap and don't give Twente what they want.

Meh. More concerned they'll be offering him a bigger wage. Especially West Ham.

Well if he joins a club like Fulham or West Ham for more money then we are best not signing him.

People keep saying this as if it's some huge honour to represent us. Maybe for a born and bred Geordie it is, but I imagine for most football players any transfer deal is a tradeoff between wages, club profile and player prospect/squad role. Realistically we have to compete in the wages department just like everybody else if we want to attract the best players.

I agree with you that we do have to compete on wages but our long term prospects of success are greater than that of Fulham or West Ham i.e better squad, higher recent league position, strong fan base, and potential to lure other quality players to further strengthen the team (see Debuchy indicating he would like to join).

How much more would West Ham or Fulham offer than us? If the differentials are not too great i.e we offer £40K and they offer £45K a week I'd like to think a sane player would forgo the extra in favour of better prospects of long term success.

We're the club with the most potential out of the three.  Although Fulham are close, especially with the London factor.

London factor is well over played it only has any relevance if your successful. For s*** teams it's hardly an advantage at all.

My post was using the scenario that all 3 clubs had accepted offers. Of course i know we haven't.

But i don't consider Fulham and West Ham a threat, the only way they beat us to signing him is if we get cheap and don't give Twente what they want.

Didn't you say similar regarding Luuk de Jong? Anyway, to discard West Ham and Fulham as serious contenders for his signature is incredibly arrogant and shortsighted if you'd ask me.

Didn't you say similar regarding Luuk de Jong? Anyway, to discard West Ham and Fulham as serious contenders for his signature is incredibly arrogant and shortsighted if you'd ask me.

Did i? in any case that was a very different scenario, Twente were asking for ridiculous amounts they are not this time.

Also i dont believe it is, we are in Europe, we are contending with the likes of Spurs and Arsenal, we are showing ambition to go further.

West Ham are likely to be in a relagation battle and Fulham are mid table at best.

The Dutch factor of Jol will probably be a factor

That would actually have some relevance if he wasn't Brazilian :lol:

Did i? in any case that was a very different scenario, Twente were asking for ridiculous amounts they are not this time.

How do you know?

How do you know?

Assumptions based on reports in the media.

Also i dont believe it is, we are in Europe, we are contending with the likes of Spurs and Arsenal, we are showing ambition to go further.

West Ham are likely to be in a relagation battle and Fulham are mid table at best.

Could have sworn Jol was Dutch like ;)

How do you know?

Do you not think FC Twente will want to maximise its fee, especially now there are apparently 3 Premiership clubs in for one of their players? Again, you are passing assumptions of as facts if you think NUFC will just meet whatever asking price FC Twente may have in mind and he will then choose us over them as we are obviously a much more attractive proposition. Don't you ever learn?

How do you know?

Do you not think FC Twente will want to maximise its fee, especially now there are apparently 3 Premiership clubs in for one of their players? Again, you are passing assumptions of as facts if you think NUFC will just meet whatever asking price FC Twente may have in mind and he will then choose us over them as we are obviously a much more attractive proposition. Don't you ever learn?

How are Fulham and West Ham a more attractive proposition though? Gladbach was different because De Jong was promised a starter role as CF and CL football.

It's hardly the same.

I never said we would meet their evaluation i was talking about if we did, then i couldn't see Fulham and West Ham providing much competition.

I just hope there's a back-up option if this falls through. We simply cannot be left with Williamson-Taylor-Colo as our only CB if we want to move forward next season. Not with so many more games that we'd potentially be playing.

Fucking West Ham, man. Detestable club. 

I just hope there's a back-up option if this falls through. We simply cannot be left with Williamson-Taylor-Colo as our only CB if we want to move forward next season. Not with so many more games that we'd potentially be playing.

f***ing West Ham, man. Detestable club. 

Aye, Liverpool and West Ham are my two most disliked clubs in the PL. A lot of scum in there

Yeah but Jol has a lot of pull in the Eredivisie in general.

We would have to be in pole position to sign him. Out of the 3 I don't think it's arrogant to say we are the biggest club & we do have European football.

I'm getting a little tired of our fuckwit low bids though, if we aren't f***ing serious why bother?  We can't continue to miss out on every one of our targets over a few quid here & there.

Guest Roger Kint

We would have to be in pole position to sign him, out of the 3 I don't think it's arrogant to say we are the biggest club & we do have European football.

I'm getting a little tired of our fuckwit low bids though, if we aren't fucking serious why bother?  We can't continue to miss out on every one of our targets over a few quid here & there.

What would you have offered as a first time bid?