Douglas

BONTEMPI

Where did i say it was set in stone he would start over Saylor? i just said adding another quality player is necessary if we want to achieve CL football and continue to do so for seasons to come.

As i said yesterday Douglas wouldn't just come in and usurp Saylor he would have to prove himself like others before him and perform better than Saylor to consistently start above him.

Competition is healthy.

Anyway i'm going to calm down now, as Douglas can't officially play for Holland until the 28th August so we have plenty of time to put an offer down for the player.

But if we don't then :angry:

Also i agree on Williamson being a good back up but not a first choice back up, if we bought Douglas his status on the squad would be where he should be IMO.

James Perchs performance v Spurs saved us €5.5m

I wonder if this is the way it's being viewed.

Colo, Taylor, Williamson, Perch, Good as our CB options, perhaps we think we can get by.

Personally feel fullback and another attacker are more pressing needs, especially fullback. A CB would have been nice though.

Williamson isn't good enough , Taylor is injury prone, Good is a kid, ok on Perch but if we are looking to qualify on CL football he should'nt be so high in the pecking order.

CB should be very high on our list of priority's, it's an extremely weak position.

If we miss out due to the sum of 500k it is f*cking stupid, same with if miss out on Debuchy due to the sum of 1m.

Two obvious signings which would obviously improve us and two players we have tracked for a very long time and we miss out due to we don't want to pay an extra 1.5m for the both of them.

It's f*cking retarded, i'm for getting deals but when the difference is so small especially when we already have had 5 million come into the club this summer we should just pay it.

Especially when a club has agreed a fee for a player.

Williamson was good enough to help us reach 5th?

Also, you dont know what money has been allocated for each position we want to upgrade/improve.  Paying that extra 1.5 mill or whatever might mean reducing what we have to spend on a full back or forward.

Seems to me that some folk just want to sign players regardless of strategy and planning.  Since we have been promoted Ashey, Decker, Pardew and Graham have made some great signings and have proven themselves great negotiators.

You know full well that if we are to be a CL contender than Williamson should be nowhere near their team long-term......

Also regardless of strategy and planning? Pardew has admitted he's a target, we have put a bid in.... we clearly want him it's just obvious Mike has a set amount he will go to and he will go no further no matter if it's a penny more.

Ofcourse they are great negotiators but you can't win everytime, sometimes you have to pay what the club wants.

Missing out on Debuchy and Douglas for the combined amount of 1.5m would leave a horrible taste in my mouth.

This is just an example of Mike always wanting to get a bargain and if he doesn't get it then he won't pay it, there's a balance to be had here.

Andy O'Brien and Titus Bramble played for us in the champions league.

Andy O'Brien and Titus Bramble played for us in the champions league.

And how many goals did we concede lol? plus the level of CL has arguably gone up since then.

Seem to remember us qualifying for the second round...

We are a club with a budget and we dont just go and pay whatever is asked.

Guest icemanblue

So, people were wondering why he would pick Fulham over us?  :hmm:

Because they've bid for him, and we haven't?

Where did i say it was set in stone he would start over Saylor? i just said adding another quality player is necessary if we want to achieve CL football and continue to do so for seasons to come.

As i said yesterday Douglas wouldn't just come in and usurp Saylor he would have to prove himself like others before him and perform better than Saylor to consistently start above him.

Yeah that's what I mean though, Douglas may not want competition, he may want guaranteed first team football. I'm not saying that is the case mind.

If we are to sign a centre back I would prefer that they were either of the highest quality (i.e Coloccini) to walk straight into our starting XI and improve us 10 fold, or they were young and willing to sit on the bench, but still able to provide decent cover or even stiff competition to Saylor and eventually take over Colo when he leaves. I don't know if Douglas falls into any of those categories as I've never seen him play.

It's not like RB and ST where respectively we need a player to come straight in and improve us and a player to provide cover, at CB we have an excellent pairing already in place and acceptable cover in reserve.

(I rambled a bit there but you get the idea)

Yeah that's what I mean though, Douglas may not want competition, he may want guaranteed first team football. I'm not saying that is the case mind.

If we are to sign a centre back I would prefer that they were either of the highest quality (i.e Coloccini) to walk straight into our starting XI and improve us 10 fold, or they were young and willing to sit on the bench, but still able to provide decent cover or even stiff competition to Saylor and eventually take over Colo when he leaves. I don't know if Douglas falls into any of those categories as I've never seen him play.

It's not like RB and ST where respectively we need a player to come straight in and improve us and a player to provide cover, at CB we have an excellent pairing already in place and acceptable cover in reserve.

We've already done that.

If we are to sign a centre back I would prefer that they were either of the highest quality (i.e Coloccini) to walk straight into our starting XI and improve us 10 fold, or they were young and willing to sit on the bench, but still able to provide decent cover or even stiff competition to Saylor and eventually take over Colo when he leaves. I don't know if Douglas falls into any of those categories.

Fair enough if that's the case but it's not like Douglas is massively high profile like Sakho for example i don't think he will demand to start every game.

He will want to start sure, but i don't think he will cause issues in the dressing room if he doesn't IMO.

We've already done that.

Curtis Good?

Fair enough, but I'm more on about a player in the Santon mould (although that's slightly contradictory as he's our best fullback), young and very highly rated in one of the top leagues. We don't really know a great deal about Good yet though so he may turn out to be a world beater, or he may be in the same boat as Vuckic in a few years time where he's effectively in a make or break season.

colo, saylor & perch are your 3 choices with williamson filling in if 2 of that 3 go tits....i can live with that personally if we allocate the (potential) money for douglas elsewhere

just gotsta hope there's no massive injury to any of the 3 like saylor had last year, but to be honest take the best 3 CB's out of any of the teams around us and they'd struggle

can see why we're not pursuing douglas myself, hopefully losing him means we get others in place such as debuchy

Guest Roger Kint

colo, saylor & perch are your 3 choices with williamson filling in if 2 of that 3 go tits....i can live with that personally if we allocate the (potential) money for douglas elsewhere

just gotsta hope there's no massive injury to any of the 3 like saylor had last year, but to be honest take the best 3 CB's out of any of the teams around us and they'd struggle

can see why we're not pursuing douglas myself, hopefully losing him means we get others in place such as debuchy

Agree with all that.

i think perch changed the landscape with his performances last year, made it much less of a necessity to get another CB in...also signing anita means he shouldn't be "as required" to cover in MF meaning hopefully less williamson over the season

i wonder if good will end up replacing wiliamson over the course of the next 2 seasons as CB no. 4

as it stands i honestly think the best we can hope for is debuchy in and spend the next 3 months identifying a non-african striker to cover when the lads fuck off to ACoN

We should pursuing Douglas and Debuchy, it's not like money is an issue and them combined is less than Carroll or De Jong....

Also there's no point relying on Saylor's fitness because he blatantly will get injured at some point.

I don't want to be relying on Williamson and Perch for months at a time again, especially with the extra games.

i think perch changed the landscape with his performances last year, made it much less of a necessity to get another CB in...also signing anita means he shouldn't be "as required" to cover in MF meaning hopefully less williamson over the season

i wonder if good will end up replacing wiliamson over the course of the next 2 seasons as CB no. 4

as it stands i honestly think the best we can hope for is debuchy in and spend the next 3 months identifying a non-african striker to cover when the lads f*** off to ACoN

Pardew did specifically say they were hoping to add a CB who could get goals from corners etc.  But things may have changed, we may have a smaller budget for that player now and other resources might be going into signing another player for a different position.

Things change, the transfer team at NUFC has done very well recently.  I trust them, its a nice feeling.  :smug:

Guest Roger Kint

We should pursuing Douglas and Debuchy, it's not like money is an issue and them combined is less than Carroll or De Jong....

Also there's no point relying on Saylor's fitness because he blatantly will get injured at some point.

I don't want to be relying on Williamson and Perch for months at a time again, especially with the extra games.

I will trust Pardew and co's judgement over yours tbh. Your first point is FMtastic

Guest icemanblue

You just want to see transfers, mate. That much is painfully obvious.

You keep on making these assumptions, like the one I've kindly highlighted above, and seem to have convinced yourself it's the truth. Time to take a step back, see where we are, where we've come from, and how we've got here.

let's not kid ourselves here like, ashley runs the club as a calculated gamble where player comings and goings are concerned....so far it's been very successful since promotion but he'll look at 4 first team CB's...3 of them looking very good indeed at the moment and probably consider the gamble not to add another worthwhile...we also signed good of course

i'm not saying it's 100% the right approach but it's not far wrong really, what i'd argue he/we should be doing is looking to sign douglas and ship williamson for 1-3m somewhere to balance it out financially and personnel-wise ensuring enough games for everyone