Douglas

BONTEMPI

Most meh transfer saga of them all this.

We need a centre back and we're targeting him which is fair enough because he is under value for whatever reason. However, from what I've seen in the two games I've watched him he didn't impress and it seems like it's going to be hassle either way with others bidding / Twente relationship / int'l situ.

Genuinely would prefer us to go out and get a different Vidic esque destoyer / hard cunt.

FWIW to the point above Ruiz, N'Zogbia and Gervinho are all good players regardless of how (well or not) they performed last season.

(insert gif below)

Said this just after the breaking news about us going for Carroll, and not so long after, this stuff about Anita/Douglas and no bids made. Quite a long shot i know. Hunch hunch. 

To add to my "hunch" Pardew mentioned that we waited for an answer from Hoilett, just find it hard to believe that it's our strategy (going our in public regarding Toilet)

To add to my "hunch" Pardew mentioned that we waited for an answer from Hoilett, just find it hard to believe that it's our strategy (going our in public regarding Toilet)

It won't be us going public without being prompted by agents/selling club/player etc.

It's all who knows anyways like all transfers as good as it can be to speculate.

He was never interested in coming, the bid was irrelevant. You knew from the moment he was claiming "a side bigger than Newcastle" were interested he wasnt viewing us well. Comes across as a tit.

Guest Roger Kint

Some would make cracking deal brokers like :lol:

"So they want 8m for him."

"We'd accept 6m"

"No, we'll give you 8m and that's that!"

Wasnt that a Simpsons episode? :lol:

We spend years scouting, researching and following these players.

Then it seems we have utterly no idea how much they're going to cost us.  And if we do, we don't really want to pay it.

So why not scout for players within our budget?

Not again. :facepalm:

What about it?  Humour me.

Do you not realise how daft your post makes you come across as?

Explain.

We're told hundreds of times from the staff at the club how much thought and research goes into our signings, players we've watched for years.

We then bid a figure that the club laughs at, and tells us to go away.  Fair enough, we move on to other targets.

What I can't fathom is why we bother in the first place with all the research, if what we're prepared to pay is so shambolic.  Maybe we're just chancing our arms, but why don't we have these things sorted before the transfer window?  We seem to waste weeks and months chasing players like this, when we just don't seem to have a chance of getting them at the money we're prepared to pay. 

We've proven in the past that if the right bargain isn't available, we're prepared to wait - even if it means gambling by having slightly too few players.  I sincerely hope they don't take this gamble in the first half of the season, esp. if Cisse gets injured and Ba gets ramadanitis again.  No Best to bail them out anymore, of course.

Firstly, what does how much we're willing to pay have to do with Douglas saying he wants to stay at Twente for the time being (not that it means much either as he needs to stay for his international aspirations anyway)? I'd also be interested to know why you think this offer we have been rumoured to have made for him is so laughable too.

Secondly - Tiote, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Santon, Cisse and you could potentially also add Ba and Marveaux to that list.

We got all of those in relatively stress free, what's the problem with the way we work? We look for value, we play hardball. As Dave mentioned, we pay everything up front too which gives us the right to offer less than what we value a player at. Also don't understand why so many people seem so keen for us to open up with a big offer/an asking price?! It's madness; you start low and then go from there.

You've pretty much asked why we don't bother researching how much it will cost to get a player to sign for us, I'm fairly certain we do but we try and get them cheaper than that (and why the hell not?) as well as biding our time. Again, what's wrong with that? People need to be patient and appreciate that good work is going on behind the scenes. It's completely stupid for anyone to want to question the way we handle transfers given our success over recent years.

:thup: bit worrying that 'United for Newcastle' has cropped up on the forum again and one of it's founders is questioning the club's transfer policy...probably one of the few things that most fans agree has been a success...

We're also trying to sign players that are in a way over and above our station. It's fuck easy to sign players if you're signing Craig Gardner or some rank average player. But if you're aiming for the best, which is what we've done then you're going to have rejection and failure both in terms of bids and in terms of the player's demands.

We saw it last season and this season. We were rejected by Gameiro, we were rejected by Gervinho, we were priced out of a move for Cisse. However the ones we do get are turning out to be mint because we're aiming high.

:thup: people were tearing their hair out last year saying we hadn't signed enough strikers, there was a big, black cloud hanging over the place until Ba started scoring...

`Firstly, the subject of Douglas’ citizenship means that he would not officially become a Newcastle player until the end of August............blurb..........

Douglas has already been granted Dutch citizenship,`

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/07/20/newcastle-united-aim-to-move-douglas-deal-along-72703-31433930/#ixzz21FZGGDqh

erm if hes a dutch citizen then he could come play here anytime.  Technically he could keep his home in holland and chopper back and forth. He would still be dutch resident by end of august: so he can get into dutch team.

He realise he may be 3rd choice Cb?

Guest Phil K

He was never interested in coming, the bid was irrelevant. You knew from the moment he was claiming "a side bigger than Newcastle" were interested he wasnt viewing us well. Comes across as a tit.

Was my view all along. Has all the intelligence of the ball he's kicking. Screw him, and let him go to this "bigger side"

As for the end of August thing - it's something to do with becoming eligible to play for Holland, not citizenship.

Are these old quotes?

http://www.voetbalplus.nl/online/nieuws/21550/FC_Twente_wil_duidelijkheid_van_Douglas.html

Besides Fulham, Newcastle also has an interest, reports De Telegraaf. Twente chairman Joop Munsterman, does not need to sell Douglas and will play hardball during negotiations. "It is unclear exactly what Newcastle United and Douglas want" Munsterman said in interview with De Telegraaf. "Douglas says one week that he wants to leave and the next week that he wants to stay."

I think people assume signing players is like FM ffs.

Make a bid, rejected.

Click, click, click. Rejected.

Click, click, click. Accepted.

Signed within 3 minutes.

Why don't yoo joost do that Ashley? Huhh? Joost pay them what they want.

The 'Just pay what they want ffs, it's only a couple of million!!!' really annoys me.

I know football is a little different but there seems to be a complete lack of comprehension of negotiation.

It's hard to believe that fans with these sentiments follow the same club that paid £17m for Michael Owen and £10.5m for Albert Luque - we've learned our lesson but people still complain!

In fact, you could even use the examples of Alan Smith and Xisco and argue that Ashley has learned the lesson personally...

Its a bit of a knobish thing to say but I don't see how it suggests he isn't interested, we're still the only club he's talking about by name.  The comment smacks of a poor attempt at hurrying us up.

Guest antz1uk

Was my view all along. Has all the intelligence of the ball he's kicking. Screw him, and let him go to this "bigger side"

As for the end of August thing - it's something to do with becoming eligible to play for Holland, not citizenship.

it's everything to do with citizenship, that's what makes him eligible to play for holland

although I do think we should just fuk him off

Guest Phil K

it's everything to do with citizenship, that's what makes him eligible to play for holland

although I do think we should just fuk him off

From what I have heard, the citizenship is already done, but is NOT cleared for the national team.

But I agree - I'm getting well and truly p*ss*d off with his pompous attitude.

I know I know its tribal

Twente defender Douglas waiting on Newcastle agreement‎

Tribalfootball.com - 4 minutes ago

FC Twente defender Douglas is waiting on the margins over a mooted move to Newcastle United . The Journal says Newcastle remain hopeful of signing the ...

I know I know its tribal

Twente defender Douglas waiting on Newcastle agreement‎

Tribalfootball.com - 4 minutes ago

FC Twente defender Douglas is waiting on the margins over a mooted move to Newcastle United . The Journal says Newcastle remain hopeful of signing the ...

Awesome news. :clap2: