Douglas

BONTEMPI

Knew this wasn't over! Bring him in, then try for Debuchy and if at all possible add a striker (Carroll on a loan on the last day of the transfer window?) and our squad would be as good as it can get for a non-CL team.

:thup:

Guest BooBoo

Really wary of this for some reason. I really like Colo/ Taylor as a partnership and if we got this guy, I dont think he'd be happy sitting in the bench/ playing in Europe. I know Taylor is prone to injuries but I'd still rather we got someone in a bit younger and likely less demanding.

Really wary of this for some reason. I really like Colo/ Taylor as a partnership and if we got this guy, I dont think he'd be happy sitting in the bench/ playing in Europe. I know Taylor is prone to injuries but I'd still rather we got someone in a bit younger and likely less demanding.

We already did.

Guest BooBoo

Really wary of this for some reason. I really like Colo/ Taylor as a partnership and if we got this guy, I dont think he'd be happy sitting in the benc/ playing in Europe. I know Taylor is prone to injuries but I'd still rather we got someone in a bit younger and likely less demanding.

Good is still too young though. Someone in the bracket of 21-23 and perhaps not fully exposed to regular first team football. I'm actually surprised we didn't go back for Mariappa.

We already did.

We already did.

If our manager is able to cope/handle someone as delicate as HBA, I'm sure he'll be fine with this lad if we got him.

We've already done that though. We need to improve squad depth by having players that are ready to come in now. People might have a soft spot for Taylor, but he can't be relied upon due to his injuries and the competition might be good for him as well.

Your worried about buying a quality CB to compete with Taylor because your concerned he might bench Taylor?

I'm sorry but that's a loser mentality, to get where we want to be we need more than 2 top class CB's if Douglas comes in and performs better than Taylor and Taylor doesn't like it then boo hoo.

If we ever have the possibility to add quality to the squad we should take it, especially considering Taylor's injury record.

Your worried about buying a quality CB to compete with Taylor because your concerned he might bench Taylor?

I'm sorry but that's a loser mentality, to get where we want to be we need more than 2 top class CB's if Douglas comes in and performs better than Taylor and Taylor doesn't like it then boo hoo.

If we ever have the possibility to add quality to the squad we should take it, especially considering Taylor's injury record.

:thup:

Guest BooBoo

Oh be quiet.

All I'm saying is that I rate our current centre back partnership. Of course I want squad depth but personally I'd be disappointed to see Colo/ Taylor broken up as I was impressed with their performances in the first half of last season.

We may have to play more games than Man United this season.

They have Jones, Smalling, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans as centre backs and still ended up with Carrick at centre back tonight. Not for the first time either.

Think Douglas, Taylor, Colo, Williamson, and Perch with the latter two perhaps being pushed by Good and Tavernier would serve us well, and we could well end up needing 5 or 6 players in those 2 positions over the course of a year.

Guest salmon

Oh be quiet.

All I'm saying is that I rate our current centre back partnership. Of course I want squad depth but personally I'd be disappointed to see Colo/ Taylor broken up as I was impressed with their performances in the first half of last season.

Agree with this to an extent, but were one Saylor injury away from Colo-Williamson/Perch for the rest of the season and with europe in the mix too theres no harm in another quality CB

I really think we ride our luck in terms of CBs. Most teams in the league have at least 4 CBs that they wouldn't be scared of putting in.

Man U: Vidic, Ferdinand, Smalling, Jones, Evans

Man City: Kompany, Lescott, Toure, Richards, Savic... plus other Toure who could start at CB for most teams in the league if he wasn't such a good footballer.

Spurs: Dawson, Gallas, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Caulker, Bassong

Arsenal: Vermaelen, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Djourou,

Chelsea: Terry, Luiz, Cahill, Ivanovic

Liverpool: Agger, Skrtel, Coates, Carragher, Kelly

Spurs have a bit of overkill but generally the top teams have an array to pick from. If we want to start competing with these sides I really think that we need at least 3 quality CBs that we can play with especially with the amount of competitions we're in.

Williamson is a decent guy and pro but he's not up to the job. Perch has been superhuman for about 6 months but he's not really the long-term answer. Douglas sounds more or less perfect for me to be our 3rd CB. He's at a good age and of a good standing but I don't think he's high profile or too expensive (in terms of wages and fee) to be a guarenteed starter ahead of Taylor.

Guest BooBoo

I think we're all in agreement that we need squad depth. I'll be surprised if we bring more than one further player in. I'd currently prioritise:

1.RB- Simpson is the glaring weak link in the XI. Debuchy hopefully.

2.Striker- Our back up, Shola, simply can't be relied upon for goals.

3. CB- Decent first choice, back up is limited although a few options.

Something tells me that the hunt for a new CB is going to be put on the backburner. As it stands, we have Colo, Saylor, Williamson, Perch, Tavernier (and Good) who can play there and I reckons in some people's eyes, that is enough cover for now...

A new CB would be nice though.

Every club chasing CL football needs 3 quality CB's atm we have two and one is injury prone, we have enough squad players and young back ups but not a genuine quality CB who can push Taylor for a spot.

I don't expect Douglas to walk in and drop Taylor without a word spoken, he will have to push his way in.

Competition is healthy and quite frankly if we are to qualify for the CL like Pardew says we are trying to do we need another quality CB amongst other things.

Just a mere decent CB who would be happy to sit on the bench isn't good enough IMO and we already have those anyway.

Every club chasing CL football needs 3 quality CB's atm we have two and one is injury prone, we have enough squad players and young back ups but not a genuine quality CB who can push Taylor for a spot.

I don't expect Douglas to walk in and drop Taylor without a word spoken, he will have to push his way in.

Competition is healthy and quite frankly if we are to qualify for the CL like Pardew says we are trying to do we need another quality CB amongst other things.

Just a mere decent CB who would be happy to sit on the bench isn't good enough IMO and we already have those anyway.

:thup: :thup:

I've always thought we have some sort of agreement in place to move for him after his Dutch national team issue deadline has expired. It's been way too quiet with regards to him, a class act in the final year of his contract who has frequently expressed a desire to move to a stronger league. Really hope we get him.

The fact there has been so few alternative rumours at this time of the window seems to suggest we've got Debuchy and possibly Douglas just sitting and we are biding our time for the last 12-48hrs of the window... Possibly just wishful thinking on my behalf perhaps...

Guest BooBoo

Yeah can't see anyone else entering the picture now. I think our targets are Debuchy, Douglas and Carroll as per Pards last week. Anything else would be very much out of the blue.