NUFC: The Premier League Years

Guest BooBoo

had a history lesson the day of the Arsenal away game in 01/02.  Our teacher was a Liverpool-loving Northern Irishman.  He spent the whole hour laughing at us saying that we might win, telling us we'd get thumped and had fluked our league position.  It was the day before we broke up for Christmas IIRC.  Told us if Newcastle won then he wouldn't give us homework over the holiday

I remember about 12 of us hunting him down the following morning to gloat.  The b****** was still bitter and could only muster a s*** response.  Still gave us homework anarl, the c***.

I was at a college party dressed as Ali-G that night. :lol:

2006/07 - otherwise known as 'Roeder's full season'

High points:

Edgar's goal

Martins form in the middle of the season

Martins vs Spurs

Roeder getting the sack

The first emergence of Carroll

Harper wheeling away as we won on penalties for the first time in 10000 years

Doing the double over Spurs

Palermo

Low points:

50% of the home games

The dismal home defeat to Sheffield United

The even dismal-er defeat at Alkmaar

Paul Huntington and his fucking gay hair

Roeder losing the plot and giving that speech about failure being 'stitched into the badge'

The pathetic season-closer at Watford where Martins went AWOL, N'Zogbia texted during the team talk and Pattison injured Owen

1-5 defeat to Birmingham in the cup (where Ramage and Pattison gave two of the worst performances I have ever witnessed)

The year I started following...

02/03.

Highlights:

Beating Juventus.

Beating Feyenoord in the final minutes with that Bellamy goal.

Lowlights:

That night in Marsielle.

:lol:

:nope:

Yeah for some reason I thought that was the same season after dropping out of the group stages.

Anyway how about being disappointed with a draw away to Inter after all their play acting and time wasting?

Also how about conceding within something like 90 seconds to Inter?, I honestly thought I was watching the highlights because it was that bad of a start.

High points:

Edgar's goal

Martins vs Spurs

Roeder getting the sack

Palermo

Low points:

50% of the home games

Roeder losing the plot and giving that speech about failure being 'stitched into the badge'

The pathetic season-closer at Watford where Martins went AWOL, N'Zogbia texted during the team talk and Pattison injured Owen

1-5 defeat to Birmingham in the cup (where Ramage and Pattison gave two of the worst performances I have ever witnessed)

And you kept following after seeing that?

aye, some people that were non-ST holders sat next to us for the Inter home game and came in about 5 minutes late.  They didn't believe us when we told them we were 1-0 down and had 10 men.  Made them count the players on the pitch to prove we weren't lying.

The history teacher I mentioned earlier went on the wind-up the following morning.  Had revenge later that season though when his beloved bindippers were knocked out by Basel.

For some reason I have little memory of 94/95. I can remember playing Bilbao and Antwerp, sending Palace down and beating Swansea 3-0 in the cup but aside from that bugger all aside from when I watch highlights. Very odd considering I would have gone to all the home games. Guess it was a bit of a comedown having started going in early 93.

High points:

Edgar's goal

Martins vs Spurs

Roeder getting the sack

Palermo

Low points:

50% of the home games

And you kept following after seeing that?

Thought it could only get better from there.

Remember getting tickets for the Marseille home leg just after school on the match day, went through with 3 mates and went to pick the tickets up and the box office said we hadn't booked any, ended up getting 4 tickets in the milburn paddock directly above the dugout for the same price as 4 level 7 tickets would have been as they had none left.

It was my first full season following Newcastle properly.

I remember the season before that. A highlight that stood out was a game against Derby I believe it was.

I was at the beach with my mam, step dad and the dog. My step dad got a text on his phone ( I remember the days when you could get updates via text on your phone for £2.50 per message, with a Nokia 3210 as well, top of the range back then) to tell us that we were 2-0 down. Anyway we got into the car and we only had about 17 minutes left and we scored as we listened on the radio. We were only half a mile away from home when we scored again. Once we arrived home we hurried out of the car and scrambled to get the TV on and SSN on, for some reason me and my step dad believed that we had scored in between the time of getting out of the car and into the house, we turned the TV on to find out we had as well.

My dog was old bless him and could hardly walk far and he'd just knackered himself at the beach and we had to carry him out of the car running in order to get into the house as quick as possible.

Guest BooBoo

1998/99.

For me this was very much the lost era in my time supporting the club. It was my first year away at uni and I couldn't afford to get back for many games. The Internet was still not particularly widely available (certainly not in student digs) and I had to rely on Ceefax or the copies of the Pink and Sunday Sun that my Dad sent me to catch up.

Luckily I missed one of the most mind numbingly dull league campaigns we've had. Dalglish was sacked after two draws which was madness after allowing him to spend big on Hamann, Guivarch and Nobby. I never felt like Dalglish gave his all for this club and whilst he was unlucky with injuries in his full season, his cowardly tactics in the cup final v Arsenal pissed a lot of fans off. It was still ridiculous to sack him and Shepherd appointed Gullit which was always a terribly uncomfortable match. Typical knee jerk Shephered, "Hmm Kenny is too defensive, we need some flair." Gullit with his sexy football shite was the predictable appointment.

Gullit soon ditched Guivarch who looked awful in his few appearances. He bizarrely bought Duncan Ferguson who I'm fairly convinced was bought long term to replace Shearer rather than play with him. It was no secret that Gullit resented Shearer's influence from day one. Ferguson's debut was one of the few highlights in the league, scoring twice v Wimbledon. Predictably Fergie proved to be terribly injury prone and they were his only league goals that season. Gullit was stuck with Shearer.

The league season was going nowhere but another fortunate cup draw had us heading to Wembley. Before the semi final v Spurs we played 4/5 cup games at St James, although the on loan Louis Saha scored a cracker at Blackburn in the 3rd round. The semi final was a class day, like the year before we pretty much took over Old Trafford although the game was incredibly tight. Sol Campbell inexplicably punched the ball in extra time for a penalty before one of my favourite Shearer goals sealed it. Him and Gullit hugged at the end on the pitch. Hmmm.

Wembley may has well have been a replay of the year before. Once again, we played the champions, once again we looked beaten as soon as we fell behind. It's debatable which was the worse performance at Wembley, this or Arsenal. For me it was the Man Utd game, we were shocking with the Newcastle fans resorting to singing "all we are singing, is give us a goal" in the last ten minutes.

It wasn't a season of stand out performances. Hamann impressed but quickly pissed off to Liverpool at the end of the season. Actually it was a game at Liverpool after Christmas that epitomised the season. 2-0 up at Anfield after an hour after a Nobby goal and an incredible rounding of the keeper by the horrible Andreas Andersson in front of the away fans. We then utterly capitulated with shitbag Owen leading a fight back that saw us thumped 4-2. Four goals in about twenty minutes. Sexy football my arse!

We trailed in 13th with nothing but an expensive trip to Wembley to show for it. Thank Christ I missed most of this one.

I struggle to remember anything from 06/07. 3-2 win at Spurs is about it. My personal favourite last year, closely followed by 10/11. 10/11 just felt like a big 'FUCK YOU' to the people who had took the piss most when we went down and the rest of the country, Sunderland and Villa in particular. Last year was just class, especially from March through to the end.

Great idea for a thread, I'll go for 01-02 as it was the season I fell back in love with football. I was 13, having been following us since 94/95, and starting to really understand football.

During the summer of 2001 we spent some big bucks on Laurent Robert and, bizarrely to me, Craig Bellamy. I used to hang around with a Liverpool fan who ripped the piss relentlessly that we'd spunked £6m on a guy who scored about 6 goals for Coventry. Bellamy got his first goal for us from about half a yard in the Inter-toto cup which did little to stem the Bellamy based abuse. Some of the inter-toto games were on five, I seem to remember Nobby scoring a decent goal against 1860 Munich, we got through a fair few matches and Troyes stood between us and the Waffa cup proper, and after a 0-0 draw in France I for one assumed that would be that. Before the second leg though we had the first ever Premiership plus match away at Chelsea, which I didn't have the dosh to pay for so I listened to it on Metro, which would become a superstition that season. So on the first Sunday of the season I listened to Mick Lowes explain that Shay had let a tame Zenden shot through his legs in the opening 10 minutes and assumed that would be that given our record at Stamford Bridge. However, we got our first signs that this wouldn't be a regular season and Clarence Acuna came on and equalised. Random memory thrown in here but Rob Lee's testimonial happened in the summer and we got beat 1-0 off Bilbao. A mate who attended said all there was to report was that Laurent Robert had a mighty shot on him, which turned out to be very true as Acuna found out.

We then went on to batter the mackems in a 1-1 draw at St James' in a Sunday TV game, Bellamy got our goal and Nobby missed a great chance at the end. Shearer came on, returning from injury. Some pop concert was on which fucked the travel up I seem to recall. The Troyes disaster happened, but getting from 1-4 to 4-4 was another sign that this was a team streets ahead of the previous 3 seasons. Elliott was accredited with the equalised even though it was Aaron Hughes, maybe the other way around, but nevermind. We then played Man Utd at home and won 4-3 in an incredible game, Shearer getting the winner although it was given to Wes Brown as an OG. The Premiership had replaced MOTD and they showed the main game last, and the show was on at 7pm to begin with but this was later changed. Again I listened to this game with the company of Metro Radio, highlight of which was my mate celebrating Robert's free kick as a 3rd goal even though it was the half time replay. Idiot.

After the internationals we stuck 4 past Boro at the Riverside although each team got a pen for fouls by their respective keepers, Schwarzer was red carded allowing Shearer to equalise whereas Given was only booked due to the covering defenders, and then saved Greening's shit pen. We went on to win easily, but Mick Lowes left Metro Radio unannounced around this time. I'd been lsitening to his commentary since I'd started following the lads so it was strange. Fortunately Justin Lockwood was a brilliant replacement and provided some excellent lines to go with our progress. Our league cup campaign got underway with a needlessly drawn out 4-1 extra time win over Brentford, the Bees led for a while until Shola equalised, Bellamy came on and got an extra time hat trick. "He's still shit" was the afforementioned mates opinion. We also lost 3-0 at West Ham on Sky, Glenn Roeder was linked with Warren Barton but dismissed it saying Di Canio had torn him a new arsehole so he wouldn't bother. The cheek/accuracy. Otherwise the month had 2 dull as fuck 1-0 wins, one over Leicester midweek (re-arranged from Troyes tie) and one over Bolton in the pissing rain, Shearer scored his pen whilst Ravenelli had his saved by Shay. We won 1-0 at Barnsley too in the cup, that man Bellamy again. Come to think of it, we won 1-0 at Ipswich thanks to Nobby in December I think...return of the entertainers indeed.

However we went on to lose at home to Liverpool much to my annoyance as gobby Liverpool fan was obviously pleased, but the clocks went back about this time which meant I didn't have to see him again until March. Other notable things in October were a 4-0 thrashing of Bolton when Jussi was sent off for handling outside the box, Bo Hansen went in goal. Silly Bo. We then randomly got beat 2-0 off Spurs with a tactical blunder which saw us switch to 3-5-2, it didn't happen again. This was particularly annoying as my history teacher was Spurs fan and he rubbed it in big time. Fortunately we beat Everton, Gazza played I think but the goal I remember was their keeper, Gerrard I think, ran into their centre half and Bellamy had a tap in. Acuna also scored, don't remember the other scorer.

November included what was a perfect weekend for me (at the time). On the Saturday we went to Manchester to see WWF/E live (:lol:) and I listened to us hammer Villa to go top of the pile, Shearer's wonder goal and Bellamy megging Schmeichel. I then saw the wrestling, came home and scored for my Sunday league team, pointless personal anecdote aside we were mint and I was loving life. Of course this is Newcastle so we lost at Fulham, think Shearer missed a pen in the dying moments but we'd lost by that point anyway.

I'll continue this another time as it's late and I want to do December justice!

For some reason I have little memory of 94/95. I can remember playing Bilbao and Antwerp, sending Palace down and beating Swansea 3-0 in the cup but aside from that bugger all aside from when I watch highlights. Very odd considering I would have gone to all the home games. Guess it was a bit of a comedown having started going in early 93.

I remember the start of that season vividly. Think we went the first 6 games scoring 3,4,5,3,4,5. Rob Lee scoring goals for fun, Steve Watson starting centre forward, Venison's goal, Hooper saving a Klinsmann penalty(?).

Guest neesy111

That the 3-3 when he came on as sub? Good game that. Now you've mentioned it I remember Anderton scoring a screamer in that game and it getting applauded by our lot.

Both teams got cheered off, my old man says it's one of the best games he's ever seen.

Just an idea to ease the boredom of this rather dull pre season (so far). Pick a season from Newcastle's PL era and discuss your own personal memories, great games, heroes and villains. Feel free to facepalm.

I'll go with our second season back 94/95. We started with a few new additions from WC1994 in Hottiger and Albert and started on fire, winning I think our first six games. It was still the Keegan party era and it was a fantastic time to support the club. Rob Lee and Steve Watson in particular started the season brilliantly with Andy Cole still in his pomp. We had the brief Euro jaunt, smashing Antwerp 10-2 on aggregate and then foolishly blowing a 3-0 lead v Bilbao to go out on away goals. It seemed over just as it had begun.

In the league, I remember being at a beam back for the Man Utd away game. Unfortunately we never turned up and Man Utd eased to a 2-0 win. It was the game that Keegan got a stork on for Gilliespie who scored the killer second. After that the season wobbled with Cole losing form to the point he was sold to Man Utd in January. I recall being at school when the news broke with loads of rumours that we'd actually got Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes or Gary Neville in return. Fergie being no fool, clearly ditched the black sheep in Gillespie who had has his moments for us but was never in the same calibre of the other Man Utd youngsters who would be around for years. We were left without a quality striker to play with Beardsley but Paul Kitson did okay and we got through to a quarter final in the FA Cup at Goodison. KKs sides never seemed to perform well in the cups and we bowed out 1-0 with Ruel Fox missing a late open goal. To compound the annoyance, Everton went on to lift the cup and bump us out of the UEFA qualifying slots. The season fizzled out a little bit although a fantastic 3-3 draw v Spurs late on was a highlight. Darren Anderton scoring one of the best goals by an opposing player I've seen at St James.

It felt very much like a consolidation season after the first season back up and was to precede the summer of 95 that would be arguably the most exciting pre season I've ever known. KK bringing in Ferdinand, Warren Barton, Shaka Hislop and David Ginola in one of those summers that seemed to be always sunny and go on for ever. Great days.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-revisited/1994-95/let%E2%80%99s-party-like-it%E2%80%99s-1994/

Interesting read. People thought the Keegan Revolution was stalling...

Guest BooBoo

2003/2004

AKA the season when we finished 5th and booed the side off.

I wanted to revisit this year as I always thought there was a hell of a lot of crap written about this season, certainly in retrospect of the years that followed; none of which ever came close to this campaign.

After the  amazing 02/03 it almost seemed a given that we would have another Champions League campaign and strong league campaign. The summer was deathly quiet with only Lee Bowyer being signed and Shepherd making comments about the club keeping its powder dry. At the time it didnt seem too bad a plan, keeping a solid squad together and adding an all round midfielder who had CL experience. Unfortunately in one of the classic NUFC balls ups, we didn't register Bowyer's suspension from European competition and he ended up serving double the ban, reaching 12 matches.

The CL qualifier v Partizan was one of the pivotal moments in our recent history and started a spiral that would (IMO) wind up in relegation five years later. Leading 1-0 from the away leg, we never got going in the home game and Partizan pushed us out on penalties. The sense of frustration after such a good season before was unbelievable, it was a real sense that the players had robbed us of another CL adventure; all the hard work blown after an arrogantly listless home leg. The league campaign suffered a huge hangover and it took ages to get going. We were still overly reliant on an ageing Shearer with Bellamy and especially Robert seeing their influence that had been the catalyst for the past two seasons, wane. Bowyer's influence was minimal and the younger troupe of Ameobi, Dyer, Bramble and Jenas had wildly inconsistent seasons. We really seemed to push on though after a 4-0 thrashing of Spurs (those two Robert goals) and broke into the top four after Christmas. There was still a nagging doubt that the Robson team was coming to an end of its era and we only won once in the 8 game run in, albeit an excellent 2-1 home win v Chelsea.

Meanwhile, we had a fairly cushy run in the UEFA Cup, only PSV offered significant resistance but we got through to a semi final v Marseille were all the chickens seemed to come home to roost. We were shite on the night of the second leg in France, Drogba starting his annoying run of goals against us. Everything about NUFC that night was poor, the performance on the pitch was equalled by a mute away following, squashed into a dangerously steep corner with terrible views. Its not an exaggeration to say the boisterous home crowd completely intimidated Newcastle on and off the field. We went out without a whimper and Viana was the fall guy, chickening out of a tackle in the build up to Drogba's second. After the game, there was a real air of mutiny. Fans were fed up and the frustration of Partisan, inconsistent league form and a squad that was showing signs of disunity boiled over. In Marseilles airport after the game, fans berated Sir John Hall for the way the club had been run under Shepherd and that his unwillingness to spend the previous summer had cost us. To give him credit, Hall listened to fans for a good hour acknowledging that we'd slipped back and that maybe we needed a younger coach to ease Robson's retirement or "move upstairs".

The last thing the club needed was a home game against already relegated Wolves some three days later. Wounds from Marseilles were still fresh and it was a highly frustrating game when nothing went right. Shearer missed that late penalty and people went apeshit. Most walked out, snubbing the lap of honour, some booed the team off and shamefully booed Viana onto the pitch. No nothing critics later used it as a stick to beat Newcastle fans with, "Ungrateful Geordies boo old man Robson." It was nothing of the sort, but rather a knee jerk to a mind bendingly frustrating conclusion to the season. Yet another close but no cigar in a cup and the CL qualification was slipping away.  For a lot of supporters we'd been tantalised by success for ten years and bottled it every time on the final few laps. This one, a lot of long standing fans just seemed to snap.

In the end we scraped 5th with draws at Southampton and Liverpool but the rot for Bobby had well and truly set in. Looking back, a firm decision had to be made that summer, back the fella or sack him. Shepherd did neither, keeping him on but seemingly removing any power decisions from him. He also told him that next year would be his last; excellent motivational man management there Fred. That summer, Bobby said one thing and the club did another. "We don't need Nicky Butt when we've already got Hugo" Bobby said. Two weeks later, Butt had signed. It was a calamitous piece of dithering by Shepherd that only resulted in further unrest, a dismal start to 04/05 and a chain of events that would end up in the nightmare of the Souness era.