The other games today - 2012/13

Neil

Cracking game at our place on Saturday.

We are showing definite signs of improvement the last couple of games.

It's so refreshing to have a manager who will change things tactically to match the opponent. We closed Swansea down very well, and always looked to win the ball back when we didn't have it. We're trying to pass the ball around much, much more.

It'll be better as he has more time to change the squad to acquire more players comfortable with that kind of approach, but the difference he's made already is pretty remarkable.

The new signings, those we've seen, look good. Vlaar and El Ahmadi pass and retain the ball fantastically well, and this is having a rub-off effect on other players, particularly Bannan and Clark. Lowton looks more and more comfortable at this level, too.

I am also very impressed with Holman. His work rate is astonishing, he's constantly closing down and harrying opponents. He reminds me a little of the way James Milner was when we had him playing centrally - he at least looks like he could grow into that role.

Really, really early days yet, as Lambert himself said, and we will have plenty of set backs along the way, but as long as we don't expect too much from this season, and accept that it won't all be plain sailing, people will be happy with that kind of approach.

It's so refreshing to have a manager who will change things tactically to match the opponent. We closed Swansea down very well, and always looked to win the ball back when we didn't have it. We're trying to pass the ball around much, much more.

It'll be better as he has more time to change the squad to acquire more players comfortable with that kind of approach, but the difference he's made already is pretty remarkable.

The new signings, those we've seen, look good. Vlaar and El Ahmadi pass and retain the ball fantastically well, and this is having a rub-off effect on other players, particularly Bannan and Clark. Lowton looks more and more comfortable at this level, too.

I am also very impressed with Holman. His work rate is astonishing, he's constantly closing down and harrying opponents. He reminds me a little of the way James Milner was when we had him playing centrally - he at least looks like he could grow into that role.

Really, really early days yet, as Lambert himself said, and we will have plenty of set backs along the way, but as long as we don't expect too much from this season, and accept that it won't all be plain sailing, people will be happy with that kind of approach.

I think he'll be a brilliant manager for you. Patience is the key, but he's forward thinking and very good at spotting where things don't work.

His experience from playing abroad and building sides with a winning mentality is something I'd imagine serves him well. Norwich scored so many late winners during their march up to the Premiership.

Seems as if you turned a corner at SJP.

That was definitely a start.

It's a long, long road, though. Half the squad are either still imbued with O'Neill's approach to the game (big men at back in the middle, big man up front, wingers, nothing else matters), some are kids having to learn to change, and some are new arrivals who will need time to settle.

As I said, definitely still be a few really poor performances and results over the course of the season, we've only just started, but Saturday was the first time I've enjoyed a match at Villa Park for a long time.

Saw a bit of your game and agree with everything you have written. Congratulations on the win.  Im glad Villa fans are warming to Holman. Hell play a fantastic role for you this season and as he gets more confident and comfortable in the side. He has alot better technique and end product than hes shown for you thus far.

That was definitely a start.

It's a long, long road, though. Half the squad are either still imbued with O'Neill's approach to the game (big men at back in the middle, big man up front, wingers, nothing else matters), some are kids having to learn to change, and some are new arrivals who will need time to settle.

As I said, definitely still be a few really poor performances and results over the course of the season, we've only just started, but Saturday was the first time I've enjoyed a match at Villa Park for a long time.

What do you make of Barry Bannan? He seems as if he's got very much to his game and could really develop in a more passing environment to me. Is his movement, work rate and energy enough for him to reach another level?

He did really badly for most of last season, but then again, so did all of them.

He tends to play the "Hollywood" pass too often for my liking, but it looks as if Lambert might be trying to get him to make better decisions on what ball to play.

How's Albrighton doing? Couple of years ago he seemed to make a class impact but has seemed to go off the radar a tad recently. Injury?

Broken foot.

Due back soon, I think. He was injured for a chunk of last year as well, although when fit, he, like the rest of them, was way off form.

It's a matter of time, to be honest. He;s been a touch unlucky, too.

There's an argument that we can't really afford to play with Bent, as he's only about goalscoring and contributes nothing else, but Lambert, certainly in the last game and to a lesser extent, the one before, has got him dropping back and helping out a lot more.

I actually really like the look of Weimann up front, though, I think he's got a decent future ahead of hime. Benteke did well when he came on, too.

I think getting Agbonlahor fully fit will help, too, as we sometimes lack that bit of pace to stretch teams.

It's all interesting. Early days yet, but 100 times as interesting as the snoozefests of the last two seasons (and, to be honest, it's more like the last four seasons at home).

Wenger saying here it is early days but they have put a lot more work into the defensive aspect of training.

Says Bould deserves credit for it too.

Wenger writes the training programme and it is Bould's responsibility to do the defensive coaching.

Will review it after 15 games.

Wenger saying here it is early days but they have put a lot more work into the defensive aspect of training.

Says Bould deserves credit for it too.

Wenger writes the training programme and it is Bould's responsibility to do the defensive coaching.

Will review it after 15 games.

Very interesting. Certainly seems to have helped.