The other games today - 2012/13

Neil

dived against liverpool at sjp ladst season.

that when Enrique pulled him back? Was a pen tbh, tried to stay on his feet too long.

it was a dive in my book. jose pulled his shirt a wee bit, but not enough for him to go down like that.

Are we doing the:

'no contact/actively seeking contact from defender*' = dive;

'making the most of contact' = no dive, earning freekick you're entitled to

distinction?

Can't say I've ever seen a Suarez dive from HBA, which falls into the former category. Seen him do Jonas style-winning freekicks.

* - ie. kicking your leg out at the defender, as you dive down.

Are we doing the:

distinction?

Can't say I've ever seen a Suarez dive from HBA, which falls into the former category. Seen him do Jonas style-winning freekicks.

This is what I mean, he stays on his feet when it's beneficial to him/the team and goes down when it's not therefore earning the FK, as any good professional would these days.

Madrid's second goal is so bloody good. Great from Di Maria first, then absolute class from Benzema.

Absolutely world class goal. Benzema didn't even look at the goal, yet he'd picked out the square of netting the ball was going to hit. I absolutely love Di Maria too; glides past players in a way not dissimilar to wor Hatem.

Class player but I cannot stand him. Typical Mourinho cheat.

Yup, tonight is the best I think I've seen him play though. No surprise it came when he wasn't spending all game looking for fouls and actually got on with playing.

Just one of the reasons why Hatem is so lovely, no diving or looking for a free kick, he's simply better than that.

Well that's absolutely rubbish but I like your bias.

??? Like Yorkie says, since coming here, I can't remember a single dive, he always seems to go on playing. I wasn't saying that he's better than Di Maria, btw.

You could argue that either way tbf but they're slightly different players so it'd be futile.

Even the diving thing aside, i don't see Ben Arfa as someone who actively seeks to win the free-kick. We have Jonas for that. Ben Arfa's centre of balance is really good; he isn't the Hulk or anything but he actually takes a fair bit of pushing off the ball.

EDIT:

Are we doing the:

distinction?

This is what I mean, he stays on his feet when it's beneficial to him/the team and goes down when it's not therefore earning the FK, as any good professional would these days.

That's fair enough then. I thought you were putting him in the same bracket as Di Maria, as far as persistent FK-seeking goes.

I hate when pundits give players credit for staying on their feet when they could've dived to the ground.

My view on this subject is probably too ancient compared to todays cynical game, full of diving and cheating.

Are we doing the:

distinction?

That's okay in my book. :dontknow: Same as Perch going down when Reina went for the headbutt. Helping the referee make the right decision through exaggeration - while unsavoury - at least results in the correct decision being given by refs, who are only human and sometimes require the theatrics in order to come to the correct conclusions!

Winning advantages undeservedly (ie where there is no illegal contact, or no intent for illegal contact) is another matter entirely.

It's early days like but Arsenal certainly seem to be more together as a unit this season than in previous years as they don't seem to have as many big egos. Still find it mental as well how at the start of every season people say they will drop out of the top 4, they'll comfortably finish there this season.

Possibly might even snatch third as I don't rate Di Matteo as a manager at all and Chelsea look terribly unbalanced.

It's early days like but Arsenal certainly seem to be more together as a unit this season than in previous years as they don't seem to have as many big egos. Still find it mental as well how at the start of every season people say they will drop out of the top 4, they'll comfortably finish there this season.

Possibly might even snatch third as I don't rate Di Matteo as a manager at all and Chelsea look terribly unbalanced.

First or second for me.

Can't say i'm surprised at all, they brought some proper quality in and i had a feeling Bould might have some impact ( although not this big) and i felt Giroud would do better but still too many times i have seen Arsenal written off and too many times make the haters eat a huge slice of humble pie.

Isco is class btw !

Can't say i'm surprised at all, they brought some proper quality in and i had a feeling Bould might have some impact ( although not this big) and i felt Giroud would do better but still too many times i have seen Arsenal written off and too many times make the haters eat a huge slice of humble pie.

Isco is class btw !

I think at this moment Bould's probably getting more praise than he probably warrants if you like as their defensive problems are certainly no quick fix and Wenger tonight has said it's an area that he identified needed more work on and they have been doing that in training this season. Of course Bould deserves praise, but the way people have been going on is if Bould has suddenly came in and told Wenger how the defence should be coached which isn't the case.

Just think they look more of a team than they have done for quite some time now.

Plus I said before the start of the season that those writing them off are mental. Still think they need another forward (not because I don't rate Giroud as I think he will come good), but he gets injured they don't really have a competent enough central striking backup.

My bad. Come to think of it, the controversy around that penalty was more of due to the defender being first on the ball..?

My first point still stands though, although it has to be said he is not as bad as many others.