The other games today - 2012/13

Neil

Baines and Pienaar are some combo

Baines is one of my favourite non-nufc players. Such a good player and has completely the right attitude, always gives 100% and rarely has an off game

It's funny, the simple things they do are so effective (ie. the "give and go" where Baines does an over-lapping 1-2, and Baines marker gets done because he's ball-watching) yet its so under-utilised by other flank pairings.

Arguably the best understanding between a full back and winger in the league. Admittedly Pienaar is not a winger per se but it's a joy to watch - and strange because it seems to work pretty much every single game. :lol:

If we can get Coleman and Mirallas working well on the other side then we'll start to have some fucking team. A similar style as well - Coleman (who although nowhere near Baines' levle, is slowly improving) bombs on, Mirallas drifts.

Don't think there's any "arguably" about it really, but aye.

Mirallas looks good. Seems desperate to score goals though - and not in a good way, but a Daniel Sturridge type way. Maybe he's just trying to secure his place in the team or something, I don't know.

Yesterday's match was great. The good Wigan showed up, and Everton looked good too (if not a little defensively vulnerable). Garth Crooks said you'll finish fourth or fifth :lol: First weekend of October is probably a little premature for that, but you're certainly on the right course.

Baines is one of my favourite non-nufc players. Such a good player and has completely the right attitude, always gives 100% and rarely has an off game

It's funny, the simple things they do are so effective (ie. the "give and go" where Baines does an over-lapping 1-2, and Baines marker gets done because he's ball-watching) yet its so under-utilised by other flank pairings.

Arguably the best understanding between a full back and winger in the league. Admittedly Pienaar is not a winger per se but it's a joy to watch - and strange because it seems to work pretty much every single game. :lol:

If we can get Coleman and Mirallas working well on the other side then we'll start to have some fucking team. A similar style as well - Coleman (who although nowhere near Baines' levle, is slowly improving) bombs on, Mirallas drifts.

Mirallas looks good. Seems desperate to score goals though - and not in a good way, but a Daniel Sturridge type way. Maybe he's just trying to secure his place in the team or something, I don't know.

Yesterday's match was great. The good Wigan showed up, and Everton looked good too (if not a little defensively vulnerable). Garth Crooks said you'll finish fourth or fifth :lol: First weekend of October is probably a little premature for that, but you're certainly on the right course.

Could tell we weren't going to win yesterday just due to the expectation of it. The media suddendly declaring that we're mint against a Wigan side who are set for another relegation battle; all the hallmarks of us not winning. And so it proved, Wigan gave it their all but what pleased me was I think we would've lost that game for the past few seasons. But now even when we're not playing well throughout a game, we have goals in us. Yes, there's no doubt this has been to the damage of our previous defensive solidity but I'm really enjoying watching us this season - and so are neutrals I'd dare say. We'll see after (another) international break whether we're going to be challenging for the 4th/5th spot or if it's just been an uncharacteristically good start.

On a slightly unrelated note, I don't particularly buy the whole "see how you cope with a few injuries" reason - the default reason thrown at any team which is higher in the league than they supposedly should be. We've consistently coped well with injuries in recent seasons - we've had plenty of experience at it!

Could tell we weren't going to win yesterday just due to the expectation of it. The media suddendly declaring that we're mint against a Wigan side who are set for another relegation battle; all the hallmarks of us not winning. And so it proved, Wigan gave it their all but what pleased me was I think we would've lost that game for the past few seasons. But now even when we're not playing well throughout a game, we have goals in us. Yes, there's no doubt this has been to the damage of our previous defensive solidity but I'm really enjoying watching us this season - and so are neutrals I'd dare say. We'll see after (another) international break whether we're going to be challenging for the 4th/5th spot or if it's just been an uncharacteristically good start.

On a slightly unrelated note, I don't particularly buy the whole "see how you cope with a few injuries" reason - the default reason thrown at any team which is higher in the league than they supposedly should be. We've consistently coped well with injuries in recent seasons - we've had plenty of experience at it!

It's annoying that the same spiel will be levied at any team who is seen to be over-performing, but even more annoyingly: it's actually pretty true. As we found out in December last year when our CBs were wiped out and we had really inexperienced players to come through in those positions :lol:

The sort of form required to keep your form going will rely on your star players staying fit. Without Baines, Fellaini, Jelavic and/or Pienaar - you're very beatable. [Just as we are without our top guys]. You have people to come in for them, and they can do a job, but they can't perform at a top four team level standard. That's what Chelsea/Citeh/Man Utd and, to a lesser extent, Arsenal and Spurs have.

Edit: as in, you can cope - as you say - but not at the same level as you are now.

It's annoying that the same spiel will be levied at any team who is seen to be over-performing, but even more annoyingly: it's actually pretty true. As we found out in December last year when our CBs were wiped out and we had really inexperienced players to come through in those positions :lol:

The sort of form required to keep your form going will rely on your star players staying fit. Without Baines, Fellaini, Jelavic and/or Pienaar - you're very beatable. [Just as we are without our top guys]. You have people to come in for them, and they can do a job, but they can't perform at a top four team level standard. That's what Chelsea/Citeh/Man Utd and, to a lesser extent, Arsenal and Spurs have.

Edit: as in, you can cope - as you say - but not at the same level as you are now.

Oh, absolutely. Not saying we'll just keep going along on our merry ways with 3 or so key players all out at the same time; just that, in the same breath, I very much doubt we'd suddenly collapse, which is the underlying implication of the "let's see how you do with injuries!" claim which is - as you rightly point out - levelled at any teams doing well.

The one big plus point for us is we have a host of players who can play in numerous positions to dampen the impact of (inevitable) injuries. And for the first time in a long time, I feel we have a number of match winners in our side. Fellaini was controlled very well yesterday for the most part for example but we had others who can create stuff.

Of course, it's 7 games. If you win today you would be 2 points behind us - and everyone seems to think we're playing class and you've stuttered along. So it goes to show that it really is just a start currently. But we know our usual starts. I'm just delighted we're not 17th or thereabouts as usual. :lol:

so 320 consecutive games starting by Friedel is ended guess we know what the press will be attacking AVB over now

It is a bit shady. Friedel's performances this season hardly justify A) signing Lloris in the first place and B) dropping Friedel. The guy's 41 and still one of the best keepers in the PL.