The other games today - 2012/13

Neil

Our season in a nutshell there, tonight.

Played well in patches, created chances, didn't take them, unbelievably lightweight midfield then starts letting pressure get put on the defence, it all gets a bit wobbly, and is topped off by a display of utterly woeful defending.

I like a lot of what Lambert is doing, and the fans have been behind him to an amazing degree, but I think tonight might have been a tipping point for a lot of people. If you look at our recent run of results, no matter what the bigger picture or mitigating circumstances, you've got to wonder what is going on.

Oddly, we'll get past Bradford and into the final, but it won't really matter, as either Chelsea or Swansea would beat us the way we are at the moment.

A few injuries, and we're a team mostly composed of kids. Some of those kids might turn out alright, some of them aren't good enough, but some of the ones who could be good enough are getting dragged down at the moment.

if we don't get in some experience this window - a left back, a centre back (if at least Vlaar or Dunne aren't back very soon), a physical presence in midfield at the very least - then we are playing an awfully dangerous game.

Guest taps01

Our season in a nutshell there, tonight.

Played well in patches, created chances, didn't take them, unbelievably lightweight midfield then starts letting pressure get put on the defence, it all gets a bit wobbly, and is topped off by a display of utterly woeful defending.

I like a lot of what Lambert is doing, and the fans have been behind him to an amazing degree, but I think tonight might have been a tipping point for a lot of people. If you look at our recent run of results, no matter what the bigger picture or mitigating circumstances, you've got to wonder what is going on.

Oddly, we'll get past Bradford and into the final, but it won't really matter, as either Chelsea or Swansea would beat us the way we are at the moment.

A few injuries, and we're a team mostly composed of kids. Some of those kids might turn out alright, some of them aren't good enough, but some of the ones who could be good enough are getting dragged down at the moment.

if we don't get in some experience this window - a left back, a centre back (if at least Vlaar or Dunne aren't back very soon), a physical presence in midfield at the very least - then we are playing an awfully dangerous game.

All sounds very familiar.....at least you are creating chances!

Bradford in a semi-final and we can't get anywhere near that :( Fucking hell

Bet my house on Villa beating them in the second leg and going through.

Mine too.

It isn't that I'm worried about, though, it's the league. Vital game on Saturday, try picking the spirits up after this evening.

michael owen ‏@themichaelowen

What a game this is. Bradford are on fire!

Very conscientious Micky... :facepalm:

:lol:

Between that and him posting a pic of his Ballon D'or saying he's only 3 behind Messi, I'm starting to like Owen.

He's such a troll.

Oh yeah, definitely. But just being there and being in this position seems so distant right now.

Oh yeah, definitely. But just being there and being in this position seems so distant right now.

It's a double edged sword, really.

We went to Wembley twice under Pubehead, and it was a nice day of boozing each time, but really, the two matches were dire. The Chelsea semi final was the most depressed I've been after a football match since the first day of the 86-7 season when I broke all world punting records by correctly assessing we were going down that season.

;-)

Bradford in a semi-final and we can't get anywhere near that :( f***ing hell

It's a double edged sword, really.

We went to Wembley twice under Pubehead, and it was a nice day of boozing each time, but really, the two matches were dire. The Chelsea semi final was the most depressed I've been after a football match since the first day of the 86-7 season when I broke all world punting records by correctly assessing we were going down that season.

;-)

similar, we went to cup finals and they were nicde days out, then the semi final defeat against chelsea was gut wrenching as that would have lead to a final against some midlands team which we are sure we'd have won.

Villa remind me a bit of Boro in the couple of years before they went down - reliant on a lot of kids who couldn't keep them up, a few very heavy defeats, mixed with some good cup runs. Lambert looks to be gambling on building for the future but if its at the cost of a short term risk of relegation he may get sacked before anyone gets a chance to see how he would've done in the long run.

tell you what brummie, you can get slightly better than evens on villa to qualify, which surprised me, it's took 35quid of my money.

Nice spot, I'll be on that too.

Just piled on with £20 on Villa to qualify for the final at 2.12.  Beginnings of a forum bet?  In which case, sorry you won't be going to Wembley, brummie.

Villa remind me a bit of Boro in the couple of years before they went down - reliant on a lot of kids who couldn't keep them up, a few very heavy defeats, mixed with some good cup runs. Lambert looks to be gambling on building for the future but if its at the cost of a short term risk of relegation he may get sacked before anyone gets a chance to see how he would've done in the long run.

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think I've ever seen a team with as many kids as this before. I mean, tonight they were looking to Agbonlahor for experience - one of the dimmest people in football. Just one experienced, clever leader in the middle of defense or midfield would make the world of difference.

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think I've ever seen a team with as many kids as this before. I mean, tonight they were looking to Agbonlahor for experience - one of the dimmest people in football. Just one experienced, clever leader in the middle of defense or midfield would make the world of difference.

In several games this season, our oldest player has been Guzan, 28, and the next oldest 24.

The other day, we started with a line up in which the player with the most PL appearances was Barry Bannan.

It's a bold experiment, but what has happened is they've got the balance wrong - lots of the kids are decent, but that doesn't mean you can throw them all together and they'll all be decent, it's a totally different thing.

Nathan Baker is an incredibly promising CB but raw. Ciaran Clark is a decent midfielder and an ok defender. Lowton looks good at RB. Bennett doesn't look good enough at LB. Throw them all together at the same time and they're going to struggle.

The other thing is that a run of bad results, and kids lose morale quicker, they're harder to motivate.

Tonight was about the same problem we've had all season. Lightweight midfield and shaky defence, and the former puts more pressure on the latter, plus some moments of awful defending.