Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest firetotheworks

My frustration is slowly but surely turning to contempt.

I would at least understand our 'style' of play if it meant that we were good defensively, or that the floated corners to Williamson worked, or Cabaye collecting the ball from the defence behind the centre circle was of any benefit, or playing long balls to Cisse and Ba was anything more than a disguised pass back to the opposition, or if whenever any of the above things, along with others didn't work, we changed the way we played.

But lessons are not being learned imo, and the way we played at the end of last season seems lightyears away. He needs to sort it out, and he seems to know that he does. The problem is that I see absolutely no sign of us trying it, let alone doing it.

How many times has he changed things around this season after his starting tactics haven't been working?

Don't get me wrong it's good that he can spot this during a match, but it's still concerning that he's had to do this quite a few times.

Sick of him already using the Europa League as an excuse as well. Sir Bobby never used Europe as an excuse and some of our post European performances where fantastic. If you give players an excuse then they will use it to mask their performances.

Stop talking a good game Alan and let's see some improvements on the pitch.

I must admit, as much as I like Pardew, it's starting to become really annoying that what comes out of his mouth in pressers etc never seems to match what we're doing on the pitch.

He's like one of those really shit ventriloquists :lol:

My frustration is slowly but surely turning to contempt.

I would at least understand our 'style' of play if it meant that we were good defensively, or that the floated corners to Williamson worked, or Cabaye collecting the ball from the defence behind the centre circle was of any benefit, or playing long balls to Cisse and Ba was anything more than a disguised pass back to the opposition, or if whenever any of the above things, along with others didn't work, we changed the way we played.

But lessons are not being learned imo, and the way we played at the end of last season seems lightyears away. He needs to sort it out, and he seems to know that he does. The problem is that I see absolutely no sign of us trying it, let alone doing it.

Summed up my thoughts on it perfectly.  He's bought himself a lot of time through our league finish and style of play towards the back end of last season.  But a lot of fans are starting to say the same thing and are growing frustrated with how shit we've been this season.

It's even more frustrating that we've played some quality stuff under him, so we now it's possible.  We got pumped 4-0 by Wigan and he reverted to type and went back into his safety first shell.  So fucking annoying.

The Ba argument can't even be used anymore.  As Cisse's done a job out wide in a 3 and he's also already shown he will leave Cisse out the side if need be.

I must admit, as much as I like Pardew, it's starting to become really annoying that what comes out of his mouth in pressers etc never seems to match what we're doing on the pitch.

He's like one of those really shit ventriloquists :lol:

Pretty great analogy.

Can't believe he used the 'we were tired from the efforts this week' excuse.

What, the European game? Where we rested almost the entire team?

Makes me laugh when managers use the tired excuse,my dad is 54 plays an hour of 5 a side on a wednesday night and a full match on a saturday morning as well as working full time as a brickie.

Some mugs will fall for it.

well my dads a fireman.  :catmag:

:lol: for the record, my dad is none of the above.

I think you get managers who have an idea of how they want a team set up, formations, etc and then encourage/coach/coerce the players to fit into that system.

Other managers look at what they've got and choose a system/style that suits the players at his disposal. Both these attitudes have there merits imo and there have been very successful managers from both schools of thought.

I think Pardew is in the former camp. His problem is that the team isn't really performing the way he wants because they're not best suited to that style. His other (and massive) problem is that i don't think he gets to choose (100%) the players that are bought and sold.

So, i think he's looking at it and is trying to find a system that suits the players he's got. But he's not getting it right (yet). He'll know this better than anyone but to keep the players believing in him he focuses on the positives of the performances

A good post wasted, most of the team we started with yesterday have been here for more than a year. He's had more than long enough to work out who fits where.

Guest firetotheworks

...and he's also seen what actually works, as well. That's the frustrating thing. He will absolutely not play Ba on the left like. I hate to think that it's as spineless as him doing it not to offend him, but it's starting to look more and more likely.

Ba is playing well through the middle and he's happy to start Cisse out wide in a three against Bordeaux, move him there against Man U and even start him on the bench in the last two league games.  That being the case, you would have thought we'd have seen the 4-3-3 with Papiss wide or someone like Sammy, Fergie or even Obertan.  Instead, we played Shola :lol:

How many times has he changed things around this season after his starting tactics haven't been working?

Don't get me wrong it's good that he can spot this during a match, but it's still concerning that he's had to do this quite a few times.

Sick of him already using the Europa League as an excuse as well. Sir Bobby never used Europe as an excuse and some of our post European performances where fantastic. If you give players an excuse then they will use it to mask their performances.

Stop talking a good game Alan and let's see some improvements on the pitch.

I'm not sure I remember this accurately, but didn't SBR make only minor changes for the European games? IIRC we had quite a consistent starting 11 for all major competitions - injuries/suspensions allowing. The more the same players play together, the better understanding they will develop. At the moment our starting 11 have been chopped and changed for nearly every game we've played (variety of reasons) and imo this is the reason we haven't got going yet.

...and he's also seen what actually works, as well. That's the frustrating thing. He will absolutely not play Ba on the left like. I hate to think that it's as spineless as him doing it not to offend him, but it's starting to look more and more likely.

I also find this very, very frustrating. I imagine Pardew does too fwiw and I think Ba will be moved on before too long, as much for his wage demands and general trying to have his cake and eat it with release clauses etc etc as anything else.

I've had long standing concerns over Tiote and Cabaye (personally I dont think either would get in a English CL side) whilst time will tell whether Cisse is true quality or just a player who went through a mad purple patch last season.

Cabaye wouldn't be a playmaker for a top side but he would get in ahead of Milner, Barry & a few of the Arsenal lads. Woudl be a regular for Everton.

Tiote would get into any team outside the top 4/5 imo.

My biggest single gripe with Pardew is that there seems to be no over arching plans. Not for selection, formation, playing style, nothing.

I'm not sure he has a plan for anything. What formation does he want us to play? How does he want us to play? What youngsters has he identified to break into the first team set-up?

Everything seems very ad hoc. Does he have any long-term plans for Marveaux/Anita?

I think he needs to be brave and drop Jonas for Ferguson. It's a no-brainer for me

If we go back to 4-4-2 yeah but we played 4-5-1 last night and later on moved to 4-2-3-1 and against a team who are obsessed with possession and control(Liverpool) it would make sense if we match up again.

Sure I read someone on here saying pretty much this a while ago.  Might have been you in fairness? 

Basically, if you're Plan B, has to keep becoming your Plan A.  Then you have a problem.

Story of our season so far isn't it?

My biggest single gripe with Pardew is that there seems to be no over arching plans. Not for selection, formation, playing style, nothing.

I'm not sure he has a plan for anything. What formation does he want us to play? How does he want us to play? What youngsters has he identified to break into the first team set-up?

Everything seems very ad hoc. Does he have any long-term plans for Marveaux/Anita?

spot on imo. hard to believe its true though. results is not enough to keep us and especially players happy. our best players cant be happy if this anti-football continues.

spot on imo. hard to believe its true though. results is not enough to keep us and especially players happy. our best players cant be happy if this anti-football continues.

Formation & resulting style of play is obviously up in the air, the rest seems pretty clear really. If Ba's out id fully expect us to go back to 4-3-3.

One thing that has bugged me is the amount of times our players just stand and watch whoever has the ball, especially when Ben arfa has it, but even when one our cm's has the ball.. the other cm's are either nowhere near him or are just standing watching. West brom passed through our centre midfield yesterday with ease on a number of occasions, especially 2nd half and it wasn't like they were doing anything special, they just showed for the ball, moved and released to another runner.. just why on earth can we not do this? The amount of times we end up just passing to the back 4 because there are no options is incredible.. usually just ends up in us just punting the ball out from krul/defence. Ben arfa and cabaye for Ba's goal against spurs is about the only time i can think of this season where we have passed and moved.

i think everyone knows what our best XI and formation is.

The problem with it is that Ba was out on the left in our most effective formation but as he's in-form at the minute and Cissé isn't, it would be madness to put Cissé up top and I'm unconvinced with him on the left.