Alan Pardew

Dave

crikey, we have an exceptional 5th place finish and people seemingly want him out after 2 very poor home performances (i'm not including west ham, that was more below what our par should be than very poor).

looks like i'll be spending less time on the footy bit till the hysteria either dies down or is justified.

edit, it also seems like one or two are reverting to type in looking for negatives in every story because of their personal distatste for the owner and manager.

:thup:

It's not about getting rid. It's just really dissapointing to see really good technical players not being utilized properly.

Basically the team and the manager don't fit.

MA wants to buy better priced players from abroad, who are going to tend to be more technical sorts, but we don't have the manager who seems to know how to setup for the type of game they would thrive in.

Pardew is far more geared to the team we had with Barton, Nolan, Carroll etc, as the core I feel.

By only watching the highlights from one game (5-1 vs scum) you can see the difference in movement between our team today and the one back then. It's absolutely apalling these days, no matter what style or setup, how the fuck are you going to manage the sport football without it?

Guest icemanblue

So, what happened last year? A fluke? :lol:

Looks like it. He got West Ham to the FA Cup final then got sacked 6 months later. He won the FL Trophy at Southampton then got sacked 5 months later.

Interesting. So he's just incredibly adept at being flukey, but only during his first season in charge?

Looks like it. He got West Ham to the FA Cup final then got sacked 6 months later. He won the FL Trophy at Southampton then got sacked 5 months later.

Interesting. So he's just incredibly adept at being flukey, but only during his first season in charge?

And a great season is a fluke, but a poor couple of months is normal? Strange.

It just wouldn't be the first time an extreme high is followed by a extreme low  ;)

It's no good citing last year as evidence for the defence when the same people that said for large parts of last year that there were serious issues with the style of play and the approach to games are the same ones talking about the same problems.

It's not about flukes, I simply don't think that last season was as fantastic as some people like to paint it as and I said as much fairly often. Some people are acting as if it's fickle but look back over old posts and you'll see that it's the same old problems coming back to haunt us.

The only time I was truly confident in the team last season was during the run of six wins, playing a system that was then completely abandoned. How can something like that be defended?

It's definitely a straw man to say that people are baying for his blood too, but he seriously needs to up his game. Is that unfair?

It's no good citing last year as evidence for the defence when the same people that said for large parts of last year that there were serious issues with the style of play and the approach to games are the same ones talking about the same problems.

It's not about flukes, I simply don't think that last season was as fantastic as some people like to paint it as and I said as much fairly often. Some people are acting as if it's fickle but look back over old posts and you'll see that it's the same old problems coming back to haunt us.

The only time I was truly confident in the team last season was during the run of six wins, playing a system that was then completely abandoned. How can something like that be defended?

It's definitely a straw man to say that people are baying for his blood too, but he seriously needs to up his game. Is that unfair?

It's perfectly fair since our quality of play is making us look like the second-worst team in the league, but I don't think he gets to shoulder all the blame.

We're basically playing the same (mostly uninspired) tactics as last year, but the difference is that individuals aren't preforming.

Pardew in my opinion has always been a mediocre tactician but an effective motivator and man manager. The question we should be asking is why the latter part isn't working anymore.

Guest icemanblue

We're going through our first major rough patch of his tenure. Yes, there are worrying aspects of our game that need improving. However, like you said, these issues were present at most times last year. We still finished 5th.

This season has been stop/start due to injuries and suspensions to key players, forcing Pardew to play, what he obviously considers to be, players that require protection (Simpson, Williamson). Yes, these players should have been replaced during the summer, but I doubt anyone truly believes Pardew has much of a say in that. This has meant that our gameplan has been altered to attempt to stifle opposition and attempt to nick wins. This worked quite well at the start of last season. He's a defensive minded manager, and appears reluctant to attack games when he does not have his full strength team.

For me, last season has bought him a lot of credit. I'm willing to stick with him until we can begin to field our 'proper' eleven, then I'll expect to see a vast improvement in style of play.

Guest icemanblue

It just wouldn't be the first time an extreme high is followed by a extreme low  ;)

Pretty sure Southampton were doing alright when he was sacked, weren't they? Wasn't he sacked for non-football related reasons?

You say it's the same tactics but it's not the same as the only time last season that we looked capable of controlling a game or winning by more than a goal.

Serious questions need to be asked as to why that is.

nah the only time i was truely convinced of Pardew was when he first took over from CH,  when he first took over we went from somewhat direct play of CH to some great mixture of passing and attacking game with some directness thrown in.  It was a period in this latter half of the season when i thought wow, this guy knows what he's doing , but sadly that turned out to be a honeymoon period, the following next season, yes we finished 5th but our football style has deteriated into route one defend deep and hit on the break with long balls,  didn't complain too much as it got results.  I wasn't even that convinced with that handful of games when we played well towards the end of last season, it was pretty much open season against teams that didnt have anything to play for but we did by trying to get that 4th spot.

there were big warning signs, getting smashed by teams like fulham and wigan during that season, showed when Pardew wanted to deploy an attacking line-up it just falls on its arse.  Pardew has got no clue when it comes to tactic in regards to attack.

Guest icemanblue

You say it's the same tactics but it's not the same as the only time last season that we looked capable of controlling a game or winning by more than a goal.

Serious questions need to be asked as to why that is.

Not sure I understand this, mate.

Also at West Ham i may be wrong here but i'm pretty sure towards the end of his tenure that the owner was getting involved with first team affairs and undermining Pardew.

None the less it's way to early to be taking about this, does he need to up his game? without a doubt he doesn't have a clue tactically at the moment but he's obviously earned some time to sort it out.

Guest bimpy474

Its not just us under performing, other teams have figured us out a bit too. Man Utd playing a narrow diamond was just one example.

That and hoy it football may keep you up, but you go anywhere near the top with it. Last year we did but in no way was that just hoy it football, we mixed it up better. This season has been just smash it forward.

Revolting, horrible to watch and not football imo.

Pretty sure Southampton were doing alright when he was sacked, weren't they? Wasn't he sacked for non-football related reasons?

Not sure, but I've often heard qotes about Adkins taking the team from near the bottom of league 1 to the Prem.

Guest icemanblue

"We're going through our first major rough patch of his tenure."

Result-wise that's true. Performance-wise, this is the more or less the norm.

Don't agree with that, at all. This season, with a couple of exceptions, perhaps.

Also at West Ham i may be wrong here but i'm pretty sure towards the end of his tenure that the owner was getting involved with first team affairs and undermining Pardew.

None the less it's way to early to be taking about this, does he need to up his game? without a doubt he doesn't have a clue tactically at the moment but he's obviously earned some time to sort it out.

im convinced the only way we can finish this season in any decent position, is if we go straight back to turgid football,  back to the defend deep, start cautious and catch teams on the break with direct play.

not saying its the best way.  But it's the only way Pardew knows how to do it.  He has shown that his great strength is organizing a team to defend and he does it well.