Alan Pardew

Dave

The implication being Pardew says nowt in the week or the minutes before a game?

His game plan was spot on.  It was Lambert's half time team talk that changed the game, not pardews. 

:facepalm:

So why can't Pardew change game's at HT then as clearly proven by the stats?  Why can't he counteract to when the opposition make changes?

why would he change things at half time in a game we're dominating?  He didn't his team talk was " more of that".  Lambert changed things because he had to. Pardew struggled to come up with an answer to their changes....but the best alternative I have heard is Sammy Ameobi would have made all the difference.  Clearly that is bollocks.

Guest neesy111

look on the bright side people, we got battered 2nd half but only conceded a goal to a dodgy pen thats an improvement from our usual getting battered for a half tendencies

:sadnod:

Guest neesy111

The implication being Pardew says nowt in the week or the minutes before a game?

His game plan was spot on.  It was Lambert's half time team talk that changed the game, not pardews. 

So why can't Pardew change game's at HT then as clearly proven by the stats?  Why can't he counteract to when the opposition make changes?

why would he change things at half time in a game we're dominating?  He didn't his team talk was " more of that".  Lambert changed things because he had to. Pardew struggled to come up with an answer to their changes....but the best alternative I have heard is Sammy Ameobi would have made all the difference.  Clearly that is bollocks.

He clearly did change things as we sat about 10 yards deeper 2nd half, like we did against West Brom, Swansea, Reading etc this season and the tactic was to kick it longer.

Just because Villa went for it doesn't excuse why we utter shite all 2nd half, he's paid as manager to sort that out and his answers to it were utterly predictable and made no change whatsoever.

How is that the best alternative you've heard? Have you even read this thread?

The league table doesn't lie after 24 games and we've been dreadful for prolonged periods of the season. The manager of a football club is responsible for results and performances and our results and performances have been dismal for months. No idea if Pardew is going to get binned or not but he certainly deserves to on the evidence of this season.

Quite how anyone can defend his decisions/results this season is beyond me. Well it's not as some people simply love to be contrary and wind people up.

The league table doesn't lie after 24 games and we've been dreadful for prolonged periods of the season. The manager of a football club is responsible for results and performances and our results and performances have been dismal for months. No idea if Pardew is going to get binned or not but he certainly deserves to on the evidence of this season.

Quite how anyone can defend his decisions/results this season is beyond me. Well it's not as some people simply love to be contrary and wind people up.

tonight people haven't been defending his season but the furore about the second half on tonights game.

In the short term (I.e. last match) - he sent out a starting XI and tactics that did enough to win the game in the first half, unsure about his second half adjustments but got the 3points. Good enough for a win.

In the medium term (I.e. last 3/4mths) - has had a difficult season in terms of performances AND results; some of it self-inflicted (like trying to shoe-horn Cisse out wide to accommodate Ba's goals, always trying to defend a lead rather than push on) but he's also had other factors to deal with which perhaps aren't directly his fault (lack of suitable playing squad for 3 competitions leading to overplayed players and out of form players, directly resulting in a bigger injury list particularly key players). Don't think he's done a great job of grinding out results, but has previous of this last season so not going to write him off just yet.

In the long term (I.e. last 18mths) - the awful Autumn run has taken some of the shine off what was a swift progression for the club on and off the field. Think he overachieved last season and will probably admit at the end of this season that he got caught up in all of the hype and excitement at finishing 5th (talk of top 4, etc). A mid-table finish and some signs of progress on the pitch would restore my belief that last season wasn't a one-off.

Nevertheless, he's also shown that he understands his role at the club and how the owner wants things to work, so that's another tick in the box as far as I'm concerned as I'm sick of changing the manager every other season. That's not to say I'm happy with a manager for the sake of continuity, but he's still in credit after his first 18mths for me.

While I understand where you're coming from I can't give him and credit for the way he's been using excuses as if they were being plucked from "Excuses for Dummies."

You've mentioned injuries and we have had some, we've still had enough to get something out of West Ham, Swansea or Southampton instead of 3 league defeats off the bounce.  Tonight he's used Ba leaving as an excuse for heads dropping, Ba was here for those games and he just used a different excuse.

Towards the end of last season i thought I might have been wrong about him, even though large parts of last season wasn't as good as the results might suggest.  This season though, he's dropped more bollocks than a doctor in a vasectomy clinic.  He doesn't only drop bollocks which most people recognise, he repeats them and that to me is beyond being accidental, it's a major flaw and one that he's unlikely to put right at his age and after managing for so long.

Last season was as well as we'll ever do with him, I don't think we'll qualify for Europe again if we keep him and if we accept that then we probably are accepting mid-table.

there is one simple reason I can defend him, we've not been consistently dreadful, we've had many games where awesome one half awful the 2nd but rare we were just awful for 90 mins. We've also had plenty of games we're we've just shot ourselves in the foot through ridiculous defending for 10 mins or so (stoke game comes to mind in that regard). We've had consistently dreadful results but not performances as a whole

Do you not think it's a worry that in successive matches he's seemingly been outwitted by Brian McDermott and Paul Lambert; two managers under massive pressure and with significantly less talent at their disposal?

He clearly did change things as we sat about 10 yards deeper 2nd half, like we did against West Brom, Swansea, Reading etc this season and the tactic was to kick it longer.

Just because Villa went for it doesn't excuse why we utter shite all 2nd half, he's paid as manager to sort that out and his answers to it were utterly predictable and made no change whatsoever.

it was backs to the wall after villas resurgence. Not a defensive change that invited villa into the game.

I was disgusted with Pardew changes against Reading. But this was nowt like that.

It's a bastard isn't it when all of these crafty managers change games and we can't react to them.

tonight people haven't been defending his season but the furore about the second half on tonights game.

Some people have tbh.

Do you not think it's a worry that in successive matches he's seemingly been outwitted by Brian Mcdermott and Paul Lambert; two managers under massive pressure and with significantly less talent at their disposal?

:thup:

He could have tucked Sissoko into DM to help Perch, subbed Jonas for Anita and play him on the flanks to help Debuchy out with Agbanlahor if need be, why the hell would bringing Sammy on be the best alternative (who suggested that anyway)? There were a number of alternatives that would make more sense the subs he made, which only caused us to lose any semblance of shape we had and bring Villa on us even more.

there is one simple reason I can defend him, we've not been consistently dreadful, we've had many games where awesome one half awful the 2nd but rare we were just awful for 90 mins. We've also had plenty of games we're we've just shot ourselves in the foot through ridiculous defending for 10 mins or so (stoke game comes to mind in that regard). We've had consistently dreadful results but not performances as a whole

Sorry but that's just not true. We've been awful for months with the odd 20 minute spell here and there.

Can't remember us being 'awesome' at all this season. I can remember us being consistently 'dreadful though' tbf.

I didn't understand why Jonas stayed out on the left when Debuchy was getting roasted by Agbonlahor over and over again. Seemed a simple and easy switch to me, using Jonas for the one thing he's still decent at.

Just got back, was sitting in the Holte End with a Villa friend, even some of their lot were shouting "HOOF!" at us in the 2nd half. Fair enough Villa came out a different team 2nd half, but it was no excuse for not trying to push on and extend our lead. As soon as Pardew noticed Villa had a bit of fire in their belly he shut up shop, luckily it worked tonight but more often than not it doesn't. The last 20-30 minutes were embarressing, struggling to get past the halfway line and I can't remember many long balls to Shola working.

Jonas was shocking all game, extremely poor touch, doesn't even offer us much defensively any more. Don't know why he's in the first XI even without the new lads.

Absolutely Dave and if it's seemingly fairly easy to make tactical changes that have such a huge impact on the game that (apparently) opposition teams can do little about... Why have we been waiting eighteen months for Pardew's NUFC to win from behind?

:lol:

Of course we have, how long do we have to be dreadful before it becomes consistent?

Guest neesy111

Absolutely Dave and if it's seemingly fairly easy to make tactical changes that have such a huge impact on the game that (apparently) opposition teams can do little about... Why have we been waiting eighteen months for Pardew's NUFC to win from behind?

18 months?

It's almost 26 months. :jesuswept:

I didn't understand why Jonas stayed out on the left when Debuchy was getting roasted by Agbonlahor over and over again. Seemed a simple and easy switch to me, using Jonas for the one thing he's still decent at.

no argument with that. the one thing jonas does is work, doesn't matter if it's the left or right, if he's going to do it may as well do it to the best advantage.

awesome may be exaggerating but we've had a fair few times where we have played quite well, now I don't know why in gods name we can't keep it up for 90 mins but theres enough signs there especially recently where I'd be prepared to keep faith with him

Guest neesy111

no argument with that. the one thing jonas does is work, doesn't matter if it's the left or right, if he's going to do it may as well do it to the best advantage.

Does anyone remember Jonas playing regularly on the right while at us?