Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest sicko2ndbest

Well given you are bringing up a quote from months ago and I think it's fair to say Ben Afra, Santon, Ba, Sammy, Ferguson (probably missing a couple for example a few have mentioned Abeid maybe getting more games as well as Campbell) are further forward than they were at the start of last season I am probably not far off the mark.

I will have to stipulate Ben Arfa although an exciting prospect hadn't had enough exposure to do what he does best and Ba wasn't looked at as the player he is now.

Not to mention 3 of our purples have gone backwards in Ba, Cab and Cheik

Well given you are bringing up a quote from months ago and I think it's fair to say Ben Afra, Santon, Ba, Sammy, Ferguson (probably missing a couple for example a few have mentioned Abeid maybe getting more games as well as Campbell) are further forward than they were at the start of last season I am probably not far off the mark.

I will have to stipulate Ben Arfa although an exciting prospect hadn't had enough exposure to do what he does best and Ba wasn't looked at as the player he is now.

I know this is a silly post but I still have to bite :lol: Ba? Joint top scorer in the league this season?

He hasn't done bad this season at all, but the Reading and Villa (in particular) results should have been better, we can't afford to drop points like that too often. Some of the results in Europe were really unconvincing as well. Abandoning the tactics that took the team to 5th last year is just mind boggling as well (yet another 433 reference). I've no doubt that we'll get in to gear soon though and we'll go on a bit of a run.

what? abandoning which tactics that took us to 5th?  Tactic this season are exactly the same as last season,  keep our shape, stay deep and hit the opposition with long range counter attacks.

we are playing the same as last season, only difference is the oppositions are wiser to our game now. 

This season is so similar to last in many ways. We're playing poorly and I've been quite perplexed by some of Pardew's decisions but lets face it, we're picking up points without hitting our stride. I'm fully expecting a run of form soon, Krul, Colo and Saylor make a massive difference and we've looked better in the last two games.

Last season after 9 games we were 4th and 6 points better off so we are similar in that we played poorly early on but we did get better results.

History would have suggested he wouldn't have finished 5th last season though surely? I agree with the rest of your post though.

True and that's why I didn't bring history up until somebody else did.

So summing that up Mick, essentially an entire seasons worth of solid results has earnt 0 extra faith in Pardews ability as a manager for you compared to any other manager. As you ignore history when judging someones potential to achieve. Assume you'd given up on Shearers England career pre Euro 96 then.

History suggests that finishing 5th isn't going to happen again as his best finish before last season was 9th so I don't think looking at history does him any favours.  What Shearer did as a player has absolutely no bearing on what Pardew will do as a manager in the future and I was never bothered about Shearer playing for England.

Also, it was mentioned that we have changed managers far too many times in the past and that’s right.  The flip side of that is that we’ve appointed too many poor choices in the past and that’s why they’ve gone.  Stability doesn’t create a good manager, a good manager creates stability.

I’m not writing Pardew off as it would be mad to do so, I do have reservations about him and it’s up to him to change that and he’ll only doing it by performing at an acceptable level.

The point was to give you an example of losing faith in something that has proven its ability previously. History should ofcourse be considered. I seriously question your claim that a good manager creates stability, i wish it were that way. There are far to many variables though that can easily affect a sides form. The context of a season will throw up new challenges, he may not have the answers for all of them. That doesnt mean hes become a lesser manager.

Moyes name is being thrown around now as a strong example of a good manager & his side is best known for having the two most inconsistant periods of form over a season to the point that people are actually surprised his side has actually started well for once. Wenger has been doubted massively, Mancini was,  the guy who won the last Champions league was sacked from his previous job. I dont think stability exists much in football atall. We had our best season in yonks with this guy, the players love him & hes working under a difficult board. I agree that yeah, we shouldnt be writing him off.

Guest Dontooner

Some like to see progression in football and some just like our best 11 to slog it out so as long as we win.

My take is, progression on our style of football has being little or backwards with or without of best players. On the other hand we have players that can win us games by themselves.

The point was to give you an example of losing faith in something that has proven its ability previously. History should ofcourse be considered. I seriously question your claim that a good manager creates stability, i wish it were that way. There are far to many variables though that can easily affect a sides form. The context of a season will throw up new challenges, he may not have the answers for all of them. That doesnt mean hes become a lesser manager.

Moyes name is being thrown around now as a strong example of a good manager & his side is best known for having the two most inconsistant periods of form over a season to the point that people are actually surprised his side has actually started well for once. Wenger has been doubted massively, Mancini was,  the guy who won the last Champions league was sacked from his previous job. I dont think stability exists much in football atall. We had our best season in yonks with this guy, the players love him & hes working under a difficult board. I agree that yeah, we shouldnt be writing him off.

I'm not going to go on about history, especially when it's Shearer and England as England doesn't concern me and I have no idea if people were writing him off before Euro 96.  As for stability, I didn't say good managers always create stability, I can't think of a poor one that ever has.  Wenger certainly has and I've never doubted his ability as a manager.  He’s clearly a top manager and I will back Pardew against anybody if he manages to emulate Wenger.  Not that I think he will emulate him or even get close to doing so but that’s not my personal benchmark for him either.

My personal benchmark for Pardew is for him to have us playing to the best of our ability.  I expect him to get performances out of the team that are at least equal the sum of its parts and I don’t currently think he’s achieving that.  I’m not saying that he can’t in future but to do so he’s going to have to change the way he sets us up as it’s not suiting our players.

I don’t believe Cisse, Tiote or Cabaye are poor players, performances from those three for much of this season suggest that they aren’t up to playing well and that is far from the truth.  As a team we are not performing at the level we’re capable of and I can’t pin that on individual players.  If one or two players were below par then I’d put it down to those players, when it’s the team as a whole you have to look beyond the players for the reason.

I don't know why nobody will spell it out, Pardew is not a very good manager, he wasn't before he joined us and he isn't now. We finished 5th last season despite not playing very well for most of the time, mainly because Chelsea, Liverpool and Everton had such poor seasons. Would Moyes do better with our squad, absolutely he would, would Rodgers, well at least he has a plan. Watch the way Swansea played last week against City and then Liverpool in midweek, and then watch the ugly dross we come up with. It's horrible and Pardew seems unable to grasp that.

Our good technical players, Santon, Cabaye, Ben Arfa are completely wasted the way Pardew sets up the team. The premier league is pretty much dross this season and last, the fact we are in the top half illustrates that perfectly.

Ugh. What a fish-tastic post, marra.

He's still early on in his time here, results are the important thing for Pards at the moment as they buy him time to evolve the playing style towards his preferred way (a variant of 4-3-3/4-5-1).

He could be trying to get the team to play on the floor with 3 front men but if we're conceding every week then we won't get results.

I'm not going to go on about history, especially when it's Shearer and England as England doesn't concern me and I have no idea if people were writing him off before Euro 96.  As for stability, I didn't say good managers always create stability, I can't think of a poor one that ever has.  Wenger certainly has and I've never doubted his ability as a manager.  He’s clearly a top manager and I will back Pardew against anybody if he manages to emulate Wenger.  Not that I think he will emulate him or even get close to doing so but that’s not my personal benchmark for him either.

My personal benchmark for Pardew is for him to have us playing to the best of our ability.  I expect him to get performances out of the team that are at least equal the sum of its parts and I don’t currently think he’s achieving that.  I’m not saying that he can’t in future but to do so he’s going to have to change the way he sets us up as it’s not suiting our players.

I don’t believe Cisse, Tiote or Cabaye are poor players, performances from those three for much of this season suggest that they aren’t up to playing well and that is far from the truth.  As a team we are not performing at the level we’re capable of and I can’t pin that on individual players.  If one or two players were below par then I’d put it down to those players, when it’s the team as a whole you have to look beyond the players for the reason.

Well said Mick - got it in one.

Depends who you give the benefit of the doubt to, some give it to Pardew also. Tiotes absense > Cabayes game > Cisse's game + def injuries = our season & their form. Could in part be as simple as that. Doubt its a coincidence Cabaye got in an advanced scoring position for once with Tiote behind him. We'd all agree on needing to improve.

This season is so similar to last in many ways. We're playing poorly and I've been quite perplexed by some of Pardew's decisions but lets face it, we're picking up points without hitting our stride. I'm fully expecting a run of form soon, Krul, Colo and Saylor make a massive difference and we've looked better in the last two games.

Last season after 9 games we were 4th and 6 points better off so we are similar in that we played poorly early on but we did get better results.

That's true, we haven't started quite as well, I really do think injuries have played their part though. Especially Krul, we'd have won at Reading with him playing imo, and probably Everton too.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I know this is a silly post but I still have to bite :lol: Ba? Joint top scorer in the league this season?

It is a silly post I meant Cisse :))

Alan Pardew says Newcastle believe they can finish in top four

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew says his team believe they can finish in the top four of the Premier League this season.

The St James' Park club missed out on qualifying for the Champions League last season and are 10th at the moment.

But when asked if they could finish in the top four this time, Pardew said: "Yes I do. I genuinely do. I still think we are in a good position."

Newcastle face Liverpool on Sunday, looking for a first league win at Anfield in 18 years.

But Pardew is confident his side can end that barren run.

"I believe I can win every game," Pardew told the BBC's Football Focus programme.

"I am Newcastle manager, I shouldn't be in a job if I don't think I can win every game.

"We beat Manchester United 3-0 at home last year so if that doesn't give you confidence nothing will."

Pardew spoke of his respect for Liverpool and their manager Brendan Rodgers but admitted he had been left baffled by the lack of backing his counterpart received in the summer transfer window.

"I felt for him in the last window because he wasn't given the tools," said Pardew. "He lost a striker that he made clear wasn't the striker for him and he should've been replaced but he wasn't. He was always on the back foot from that."

Pardew fought off a number of approaches for his top players during the transfer window and insisted they would not be allowed to leave on the cheap.

"It was a tough summer. I convinced [owner] Mike [Ashley] that we needed another year with this team," said the Magpies boss.

"We deserved it after last year, so we kept it all together even though some big hitters came in. But they are going to have to pay a lot of money for our players.

"Trust me. We don't sell anyone cheap. Whoever we sell will be at the right price for us to move forward. It is the only way we can compete."

You can watch the full interview with Alan Pardew on Saturday's Football Focus on BBC One at 11:30 GMT.

Ryan Giggs says Giggs believe they can finish in top four

Giggs manager Ryan Giggs says his team believe they can finish in the top four of the Premier League this season.

The St James' Park club missed out on qualifying for the Champions League last season and are 10th at the moment.

But when asked if they could finish in the top four this time, Giggs said: "Yes I do. I genuinely do. I still think we are in a good position."

Giggs face Scholes on Sunday, looking for a first league win at Anfield in 18 years.

But Giggs is confident his side can end that barren run.

"I believe I can win every game," Giggs told the BBC's Football Focus programme.

"I am Giggs manager, I shouldn't be in a job if I don't think I can win every game.

"We beat Manchester United 3-0 at home last year so if that doesn't give you confidence nothing will."

Giggs spoke of his respect for Liverpool and their manager Brendan Rodgers but admitted he had been left baffled by the lack of backing his counterpart received in the summer transfer window.

"I felt for him in the last window because he wasn't given the tools," said Giggs. "He lost a striker that he made clear wasn't the striker for him and he should've been replaced but he wasn't. He was always on the back foot from that."

Giggs fought off a number of approaches for his top players during the transfer window and insisted they would not be allowed to leave on the cheap.

"It was a tough summer. I convinced [owner] Mike [Ashley] that we needed another year with this team," said the Giggs boss.

"We deserved it after last year, so we kept it all together even though some big hitters came in. But they are going to have to pay a lot of money for our players.

"Trust me. We don't sell anyone cheap. Whoever we sell will be at the right price for us to move forward. It is the only way we can compete."

You can watch the full interview with Ryan Giggs on Saturday's Football Focus on BBC One at 11:30 GMT.