Alan Pardew

Dave

You missed out:

Good performances: nothing to do with Pardew.

Good signings:  nothing to do with Pardew.

Any wins: Nowt to do with Pardew, just individual brilliance.

Not at all. Are you not at all concerned by our inability to retain possession? And do you think Pardew is currently getting the best out of what he has got at his disposal?

Possession is undoubtably a concern.

As for what Pardew has at his disposal; I'd say we're a top half side with a handful of top players who massively overachieved last season. I personally feel we over rate some of our players such as Cisse, Cabaye and Tiote. A fair finish for this squad would be between 7th-9th. To finish 5th last year was incredible and considering we didn't really push on in the summer with transfers, i never really thought we'd match it this year. I reckon we'll finish 8th, do fairly well in the EL and I think that will represent a pretty good season. The bar has been raised very high.

Very good post! I agree with this a lot, have a look at what players we have that could make a top four team and we should get a dose of reality:

Krul

Colo

Cabaye

Then we have top eight players:

Tiote

HBA

Cisse

BA

Santon

Jonas

Saylor

We deffo need to get some reality into our predictions.

Q: Who's saying we can/should be able to get into the top four with this squad?

A: See thread title.

Well aware of the thread title but want to make the point that Pards can only make a meal with the ingredients at his disposal and people are wanting "haute cuisine" performances from the team week in week out...

You missed out:

Not at all. Are you not at all concerned by our inability to retain possession? And do you think Pardew is currently getting the best out of what he has got at his disposal?

As for what Pardew has at his disposal; I'd say we're a top half side with a handful of top players who massively overachieved last season. I personally feel we over rate some of our players such as Cisse, Cabaye and Tiote. A fair finish for this squad would be between 7th-9th. To finish 5th last year was incredible and considering we didn't really push on in the summer with transfers, i never really thought we'd match it this year. I reckon we'll finish 8th, do fairly well in the EL and I think that will represent a pretty good season. The bar has been raised very high.

Very good post! I agree with this a lot, have a look at what players we have that could make a top four team and we should get a dose of reality:

Krul

Colo

Cabaye

Tiote

HBA

Cisse

BA

Santon

Jonas

Saylor

Well aware of the thread title but want to make the point that Pards can only make a meal with the ingredients at his disposal and people are wanting "haute cuisine" performances from the team week in week out...

Bollocks man. If Swansea can knock the ball around are we that incapable? No one's asking for nutmegs and overhead kicks, just some basic passing and ball retention that most half decent sides can manage.

It's impossible to take seriously the views of the Pardew haters, because everything they say is given an unnecessary and rather daft negative spin.

Poor results: Pardew's fault.

Poor performances: Pardews fault.

Poor decisions going against us: Pardew's fault.

Injuries: Pardew's fault.

Sending offs: Pardew's fault.

Ashley not strengthening: Pardew's fault.

It's as laughable as it is excruciatingly boring.

good points,  i can understand the criticism of the turgid one dimensional approach from pardew.  but the rest is too much.

The rest of what? Most of the complaints are about the turgid one dimensional football.

how were you expecting us to play today? just turn up and roll them over?  this was liverpool at anfield, not some relegation fodder team.

had we played like we did today vs a team stuck near the bottom of the table then yeah ok i can understand but we didnt.

yes we didnt keep the ball very well, but we dont do that even vs teams that are below LFC's standard,  so there's no surprise there.  so for you to expect us to go to lfc and play well considering how s*** we already been all season is a bit strange to me.  That was a result for us.

Another positive I'm taking so far this season, is that of the 5 draws, only Everton did we deserve to lose. Reading & Villa were poor but still should have really won, Sunderland & Liverpool were pretty similar as well. I think these draws are more likely to turn to wins as we go on. Plus we don't seem prone to a hiding like we were last season by mid-table/bottom-half clubs (Fulham, Wigan, etc).

You missed out:

Krul

Colo

Cabaye

Tiote

HBA

Cisse

BA

Santon

Jonas

Saylor

Bollocks man. If Swansea can knock the ball around are we that incapable? No one's asking for nutmegs and overhead kicks, just some basic passing and ball retention that most half decent sides can manage.

Of course we are capable! I honestly don't think it's worth doing if you don't have the players who are constantly moving and have good technique as well as vision. You can see what Liverpool want to do now and the players they play in midfield, all of which like the ball and can pass and move well. Today was a good example.

I don't think we have as many "ball players" as people think we have to play this type of tikki takka style, maybes Cabaye, colo, HBA and Jonas could be ones apt for this...

It's impossible to take seriously the views of the Pardew haters, because everything they say is given an unnecessary and rather daft negative spin.

good points,  i can understand the criticism of the turgid one dimensional approach from pardew.  but the rest is too much.

The rest of what? Most of the complaints are about the turgid one dimensional football.

how were you expecting us to play today? just turn up and roll them over?  this was liverpool at anfield, not some relegation fodder team.

had we played like we did today vs a team stuck near the bottom of the table then yeah ok i can understand but we didnt.

yes we didnt keep the ball very well, but we dont do that even vs teams that are below LFC's standard,  so there's no surprise there.  so for you to expect us to go to lfc and play well considering how s*** we already been all season is a bit strange to me.  That was a result for us.

But we have against that type of team, that's why people are getting annoyed.

thats fair enough but not today. 

Liverpool at Anfield have won one in six, more teams have won at Anfield than Liverpool.

Liverpool at Anfield have won one in six, more teams have won at Anfield than Liverpool.

lets balance things out if want to use stats,

this season nufc before entering anfield , havent won a single match away.

It's built up frustration, I can't recall us having a good game since probably Stoke last season.

Their play against everton and us was pretty decent to be honest. They will be in the top half I would have thought. They only have Suarez up front on his own, I think that is half the reason their possession play doesn't quite develop as well as they wish...

It's built up frustration, I can't recall us having a good game since probably Stoke last season.

you thought that was a good game? we practically out Stoked them, we played long balls all match even used their pitch side towel to dry the ball as we launched it long from throwings.

you thought that was a good game? we practically out Stoked them, we played long balls all match even used their pitch side towel to dry the ball as we launched it long from throwings.

We dominated though and Cabaye ran the show as well as getting two goals. I can't think of a game since that we dominated. The football wasn't the best but we outplayed them.

We didn't 'out stoke' stoke at home last season, we played good football. You are perhaps getting mixed up with the away game last season?

What's happened in the past is irrelevant on the day. The fact is that Liverpool are bollocks and will do well to finish in the top half.

Another positive I'm taking so far this season, is that of the 5 draws, only Everton did we deserve to lose. Reading & Villa were poor but still should have really won, Sunderland & Liverpool were pretty similar as well. I think these draws are more likely to turn to wins as we go on. Plus we don't seem prone to a hiding like we were last season by mid-table/bottom-half clubs (Fulham, Wigan, etc).

Why should we have won against Villa and Reading? We were bollocks and created next to nowt.

I know, that's hardly a positive and that stat' will get worse the longer we go without winning, does that make every draw from now on better than the last?

You missed out:

Have we had a good performance this season?

We've been good in patches - but we haven't hit top gear yet.  We did last season and it will happen this season.

Another view at this. If we are a team that want´s to defend and then counterattack. Then I have to say that I rarely seen a worse team than us. There are just no one that ever make any runs, especially not at full speed, when we gets the ball. Someone talk about playing like Chelsea, or crap like that, but hey. They are a wonderful counterattacking team.

Another view at this. If we are a team that want´s to defend and then counterattack. Then I have to say that I rarely seen a worse team than us. There are just no one that ever make any runs, especially not at full speed, when we gets the ball. Someone talk about playing like Chelsea, or crap like that, but hey. They are a wonderful counterattacking team.

yet on our good run last season i've rarely seen counter attacking done better and thats with the same group of players we have now. the reason for the change ?, i'd like to say your guess is as good as mine but i doubt it would be.

10 games in, 10th place and 3 points off fourth.

2 defeats to Man United and Chelski.

Last three games, 2 away draws to the Mackems and Liverpool and a home win.

We have a set of fixtures now coming up where we need to take some serious points. The next six league games could really shape our season. No more excuses of playing poorly, we have to go and dominate games against these teams and keep the ball. It will be interesting to see where we are Mid December.