Alan Pardew

Dave

As some others have said, very little has changed since last season in terms of playing style (bar the successful 4-4-3 experiment). Now, we're just unable to fall back on moments of individual brilliance as our main attacking strategy.

Also, the gap between midfield and attack when strikers pick up the ball is absolutely ridiculous.

I think we need a technical coach to help him. Stone/Carver is just jobs for the boys stuff.

If that is so and he cant see that himself, then he isn't good enough for the level he is currently aiming at.

But what is that level Bimpy? I get the impression that DL and MA would be happy to consolidate this year with an average season/top 10.

The lack of investment tells you that.

What he tells us mate, he keeps saying we are aiming at the Champons League this season. If he cant see he is becoming as limited as the squad in achiving that.

I'm not intending to do anybody down or belittle the squad but we were incredibly lucky in some games last year. It was just one of those seasons where we seemed to get the breaks and bounces. Not that this slice of luck wasn't long overdue btw.

But with that, the investment Chelsea have made, the remergence of Everton, the Martin Jol appointment and subsequent investment at Fulham I just can't see us emulating last season for many a long year.

It's safe to say it would take a lot of lucky bounces each season to finish above any of Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Everton given the way they have invested and, Everton aside, will continue to invest.

We're effectively playing for 5th/6th and hoping for a few breaks here and there.

I agree mate but i would rather Pardew stop talking like we are Champions League challengers. We know he needs players but i'm doubting that if he got those players that he has the ability for us to kick on.

He cant get the decent set we have now to keep the ball and play decent football. When you see sides like W.B.A, Wigan, Norwich etc playing far better football with supposed inferior players, my worry is mounting.

And understandably so.

Like you say, even if we pick up a quality RB and CB in the summer, can he get them to work in any given system to make any difference?

I think that has to be a very genuine question going forward.

what cack, and robson did often say about having the extra games was a problem but a one he was pleased to have.

Bobby managed the situation and he didn't have a team for Europe and a team for the league.

not denying any of that, but he did mention it, particularly pre match.

I'm with a few on here who say it isn't the formation as such, When Man Utd use different tactics, they still keep the ball even if a certain formation isn't working.

Our problem is lack of movement and utter inability to keep the ball, oh yeah and i see our set penises have got no better, i mean how many more free kicks or corners does Cabaye have to take to see his delivery is shocking.

our lack of movement is part of the tactics.

just like fat Sam's west ham, we are encouraged to hold our shape, meaning players are limited to roam , hence the lack of movement,

the more player movement the more holes for the opposition to expose.

but....the but is that it screws up your teams ability to pass and move forward as players are too far apart.  Hence the dependents on long balls.

so formations means fuck all because players are told to keep their shape.

I'm with a few on here who say it isn't the formation as such, When Man Utd use different tactics, they still keep the ball even if a certain formation isn't working.

Our problem is lack of movement and utter inability to keep the ball, oh yeah and i see our set penises have got no better, i mean how many more free kicks or corners does Cabaye have to take to see his delivery is shocking.

:memelol:

Laughing way too much at this.

Guest bimpy474

I think we need a technical coach to help him. Stone/Carver is just jobs for the boys stuff.

If that is so and he cant see that himself, then he isn't good enough for the level he is currently aiming at.

But what is that level Bimpy? I get the impression that DL and MA would be happy to consolidate this year with an average season/top 10.

What he tells us mate, he keeps saying we are aiming at the Champons League this season. If he cant see he is becoming as limited as the squad in achiving that.

I'm not intending to do anybody down or belittle the squad but we were incredibly lucky in some games last year. It was just one of those seasons where we seemed to get the breaks and bounces. Not that this slice of luck wasn't long overdue btw.

But with that, the investment Chelsea have made, the remergence of Everton, the Martin Jol appointment and subsequent investment at Fulham I just can't see us emulating last season for many a long year.

It's safe to say it would take a lot of lucky bounces each season to finish above any of Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Everton given the way they have invested and, Everton aside, will continue to invest.

We're effectively playing for 5th/6th and hoping for a few breaks here and there.

I agree mate but i would rather Pardew stop talking like we are Champions League challengers. We know he needs players but i'm doubting that if he got those players that he has the ability for us to kick on.

He cant get the decent set we have now to keep the ball and play decent football. When you see sides like W.B.A, Wigan, Norwich etc playing far better football with supposed inferior players, my worry is mounting.

And understandably so.

Like you say, even if we pick up a quality RB and CB in the summer, can he get them to work in any given system to make any difference?

Totally agree, its a wait and see thing isn't it. If and its a big if, Pardew gets a couple of players this January, well.....

just like fat Sam's west ham, we are encouraged to hold our shape, meaning players are limited to roam , hence the lack of movement,

but....the but is that it screws up your teams ability to pass and move forward as players are too far apart.  Hence the dependents on long balls.

Correct.

The lack of movement is part of his plan beleive it or not. :lol:

I'm beginning to think that getting one or two better players won't actually change anything.  :sad:

Guest bimpy474

Aye, it seems that the movement/rigid/freedom of play is Pardew flaw......really worrying me like.

you know the real irony of today is, it looked like we actually tried to pass the ball or keep hold of it more than we looked to play it long especially in the first half, but we failed miserably, mainly due to it looking like the players have been coached out of it for far too long.

And understandably so.

Totally agree, its a wait and see thing isn't it. If and its a big if, Pardew gets a couple of players this January, well.....

Exactly. I've said for ages a good RB would transform the side. You'd have to hope Pardew would enable that to happen.

i dont want to hear about 4-3-3 or 4-5-1

because all Pardew does is stick one of his bean poles out wide.

it will either be Shola, Cisse or Demba Ba out wide, it's fucking comical. 

Ouch. It would be funny if it wasn't our team.

Guest bimpy474

And understandably so.

Exactly. I've said for ages a good RB would transform the side. You'd have to hope Pardew would enable that to happen.

If he changes shape, and gives a bit of freedom i think we also need a centre mid who breaks beyond the strikers. Gosling is the only one we have who even resembles it.

i think Cabaye can forget about the promise that Pardew made to him which convinced him to move here in the first place.

The talks of a nice passing game, lol  With almost one and half season under Pardew now, the penny sure must have dropped for Cabaye.

Technically Pardew didnt lie, his interpretation of a passing game consist of long range 30-40 yards passes out to team mates on the wings or up top.  Still a pass.

Strange how we've pretty much exclusively played or at least started with a 4-3-3 in Europe.  Granted it's been against lesser opposition, but we actually retain possession, pass it short and use the ball.  All of this with our 'back up' players......

More worrying, is that Pards often says the right things in interviews.  Speaking about lack of control, too direct, don't create enough, need more options from set pieces etc.  But then nothing changes whatsoever and after all this time, we're still playing the same tactics as when he first rocked up.  Yet we don't have the likes of Barton, Carroll and Nolan to make those tactics effective!  It's frustrating, if he sees these problems, how in the fuck does he not know how to change them or at least address them?

When was the last time anyone genuinely enjoyed our style of play and thought we dominated a game from start to finish in the league?  I think it was Stoke home last season.  Feels like a chore to watch us these days.

:lol: bimpy man, what is it with you?

Tbh i'm getting sick of Pardew and his "if you control the midfield, you control the game" stuff. We absolutely dont do that in any way whatsoever.

True. Rarely when we win do we do that.

Aye, also the set penises are really fecking me off. Talk about lack of imagination and thought behind them. I mean at least try a short one or something different.

Even a Sunday League team would come up with something else. Its now got to the point of embarrassment.

:lol: Set penises!

Guest bimpy474

i think Cabaye can forget about the promise that Pardew made to him which convinced him to move here in the first place.

The talks of a nice passing game, lol  With almost one and half season under Pardew now, the penny sure must have dropped for Cabaye.

Technically Pardew didnt lie, his interpretation of a passing game consist of long range 30-40 yards passes out to team mates on the wings or up top.  Still a pass.

That and Cabaye had spent his entire career in a midfield 3, and now is expected to flog his guts out chasing a midfield 3 nearly every other team we play puts out.

Why buy him and take a great of percentage of his game away by using him in a two is beyond me.

i dont want to hear about 4-3-3 or 4-5-1

because all Pardew does is stick one of his bean poles out wide.

it will either be Shola, Cisse or Demba Ba out wide, it's f***ing comical. 

Ouch. It would be funny if it wasn't our team.

hey thats his trade mark,  almost always have two big strikers in the starting line-up, he use to shove Leon Best out on the wings as well when we tried 4-5-1/4-3-3 last season remember?

Guest bimpy474

Tbh i'm getting sick of Pardew and his "if you control the midfield, you control the game" stuff. We absolutely dont do that in any way whatsoever.

Aye, also the set penises are really fecking me off. Talk about lack of imagination and thought behind them. I mean at least try a short one or something different.

Even a Sunday League team would come up with something else. Its now got to the point of embarrassment.

Well i'm consistent :lol:. Set penises just seems so ampt, seeing as they're cocking awful

Well i'm consistent :lol:. Set penises just seems so ampt, seeing as they're cocking awful

:lol:

we need littlelunchbox's input on this one

The formation is a big problem, but it's bonkers to suggest all our issues are down to that alone. Player confidence, decision-making, off the ball movement, set piece tactics, discipline and substitutions are all well below par and wouldn't be magically solved by moving Ben Arfa forward 20 yards. It's far too simplistic to suggest all Pardew needs to do is change the formation IMO.

Guest bimpy474

The formation is a big problem, but it's bonkers to suggest all our issues are down to that alone. Player confidence, decision-making, off the ball movement, set piece tactics, discipline and substitutions are all well below par and wouldn't be magically solved by moving Ben Arfa forward 20 yards. It's far too simplistic to suggest all Pardew needs to do is change the formation IMO.

Exactly what i, the self styled genius i decided to be tonight was saying.

Ahhh bollocks, i'm so fed up i'm not going to play FM13 tonight, shitting football, i'm going to splat something on Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.

Mother i'm never going to grow up so just bog off allright.

Guest sicko2ndbest

....... Tiote........

...Anita......Cabaye....

HBA.................Ba

............ cisse........

Would cure the lack of creativity