Alan Pardew

Dave

Losing Tiote, Perch & now Jonas as Cabayes partners, including Cabaye himself at one point has been a big issue. Its hard to attack fluidly when your main central creative force is staying back covering his partner & thats isolating the strikers also.

Defensively we've not been to bad, the goals are a bit random (Ba's own goal, Suarez long ball, mishit shot yesterday tapped in) Generally when we only conceded 1 a game last season we'd just outscore them using Ba & Krul/blocks would save the rest.

Hopefully we'll see a difference with Tiote back for Swansea, if he can chill out a bit. We really need a confident win to get us going.

That's not my point though. We've hardly had our preferred back 5 (6 if you include Tiote) out this season and have had to make a lot of changes between matches, which might explain the focus on defensive solidity before offensive fluidity.

Edit: the same point could be made for the midfield in general, where we've seen more than our fair share of forced permutations, as Jayson correctly points out.

That's not my point though. We've hardly had our preferred back 5 (6 if you include Tiote) out this season and have had to make a lot of changes between matches, which might explain the focus on defensive solidity before offensive fluidity.

???

Right. So you completely missed my point that we focused on defensive solidity first and foremost all last season too?

We don't have to make changes for the Europa League btw. That could be used to get the first team playing good stuff and building confidence without the pressure of Premier League results and against inferior opposition. I remember Robson's team whacking Breda 5-0 on the Thursday night then on the Saturday evening came within a stupid penalty of beating an incredible Arsenal side at Highbury.

You can't use changes to the side as an excuse when it's the manager's decision to chop and change the personnel and formation from game to game even when he hasn't got injuries or suspensions.

???

Right. So you completely missed my point that we focused on defensive solidity first and foremost all last season too?

There's no denying Pardew started to experiment with different attacking formations last seasons once we were settled though. My point is this time around maybe it is understandable we are having to work harder on the defensive side of things, as the back five hasn't settled yet. Santon has been the only ever present, and even then we've had to play him in different positions due to the inavailability of others.

We don't have to make changes for the Europa League btw. That could be used to get the first team playing good stuff and building confidence without the pressure of Premier League results and against inferior opposition. I remember Robson's team whacking Breda 5-0 on the Thursday night then on the Saturday evening came within a stupid penalty of beating an incredible Arsenal side at Highbury.

You can't use changes to the side as an excuse when it's the manager's decision to chop and change the personnel and formation from game to game even when he hasn't got injuries or suspensions.

That's an entirely different discussion though. I for one am perfectly happy to use the early stages of the European campaign to give the likes of Tavernier and Ferguson some official game time and develop their game if we can afford it. If we would have played our first team all the time I'm failry certain people would be claiming it was the cause for the injuries and suspensions. :lol:

Guest Vinkent

Does the team have enough depth? No. Are we working with very little atm ? Yes. Would getting rid of Pardew solve the problem? I think not.

Does the team have enough depth? No. Are we working with very little atm ? Yes. Would getting rid of Pardew solve the problem? I think not.

Do WBA/Everton/Norwich/Villa/Swansea/Fulham* have depth? No. Are they working with very little atm? Yes. Would giving them Pardew give them a problem? I think so.

;)

* - teams who are more enjoyable to watch than we are

We don't have to make changes for the Europa League btw. That could be used to get the first team playing good stuff and building confidence without the pressure of Premier League results and against inferior opposition.

Ba in particular can barely play 65 minutes a week without looking like one of his lungs has just been removed.

Pardew's going nowhere, nor do i want him to. As dire as we are at the minute we're still within touching distance of where we want to be. In terms of the league table.

If he was given the boot we'd be right back to laughing stock status and no manager worth a bean would take the job anyway.

Pardew's going nowhere, nor do i want him to. As dire as we are at the minute we're still within touching distance of where we want to be. In terms of the league table.

If he was given the boot we'd be right back to laughing stock status and no manager worth a bean would take the job anyway.

I remember reading this line of thought after the Liverpool game - how we had a nice run of 4 easy games coming up and we would pile on the easy wins then....oops!

Beating crap teams can only ever be taken for granted if we are going to use superior technique and personnel to outwit them over 90 mins. When the tactic is to battle them and defend deep against big physical sides, then the wins are going to be harder to come by. I said this last week.

Guest Vinkent

Do WBA/Everton/Norwich/Villa/Swansea/Fulham* have depth? No. Are they working with very little atm? Yes. Would giving them Pardew give them a problem? I think so.

;)

* - teams who are more enjoyable to watch than we are

Fair point made that they are more enjoyable to watch at the moment but in all honesty I believe theyre nearly at 100% and arent unreachable now in the league. Norwich, Villa, Swansea all have staying in the league on their mind and I don't honestly believe  the rest could finish 5th like us last season. I agree we're not playing well at all at the moment but we're still mid-table. I agree Pardew needs to get it sorted soon but like all managers, he's not perfect. It's been a funny season for all so far and think it needs to be reviewed as such.

Not sure anyone (including me) is saying Pardew needs to go/be replaced.  He just needs to address the basic errors (injuries and suspensions aside) that we are making every week.

IMO these are not viable excuses when you consider the lack of investment.

Yep. Has anyone suggested that by the way? Think people have concerns but even his critics seem to acknowledge he's done well.

Few of the hystericals mentioned it yesterday but likely just letting off steam.