Alan Pardew

Dave

Why? We've got naturally talented attacking players, not so much with the defensive side.

It's in Pards interests to make us hard to beat before making us an attacking threat.

All your posts are the same. :lol:

It's in Pards interests to make us hard to beat before making us an attacking threat.

:thup:

very true, but he accomplished that last season or are we having to start off every season afresh making sure we are hard to beat  before focusing equally on being an attacking threat ?

:undecided:

never seen that before

bit baffling tbh, although it explains why we're always trying to stop opposition playing rather than concentrating on getting at them ourselves

It wouldn't be the worse tactic against Man City or Chelsea. Unfirtunately it falls apart when it comes to the dross teams who we now find difficult to beat...because we're too busy worrying about how they might beat us.

very true, but he accomplished that last season or are we having to start off every season afresh making sure we are hard to beat  before focusing equally on being an attacking threat ?

I would imagine it would be dependent on whether the personnel has changed which is hasn't so maybe we should (or have, although it doesn't look like it) change the priorities.

Not saying I agree with it, just that I can very much understand why he'd do it.

I would imagine it would be dependent on whether the personnel has changed which is hasn't so maybe we should (or have, although it doesn't look like it) change the priorities.

Not saying I agree with it, just that I can very much understand why he'd do it.

i could understand it last season, i could just about understand it if we hadn't had that spell when he played the way many of us had been wanting for a large part of the season. i have no idea why he's reverted to it from the start this season.

i could understand it last season, i could just about understand it if we hadn't had that spell when he played the way many of us had been wanting for a large part of the season. i have no idea why he's reverted to it from the start this season.

Me neither, unless those big defeats we suffered last season hit him hard as it's his side of the game? The way we don't collapse this season when going behind is something that has improved or maybe he just wants to get points on the board to preserve his job and he feels grinding out points is the best way of doing that. Who knows? Either way, if still true it certainly goes a long way to explaining why we're so rigid going forward and poor at set-pieces.

Me neither, unless those big defeats we suffered last season hit him hard as it's his side of the game? The way we don't collapse this season when going behind is something that has improved or maybe he just wants to get points on the board to preserve his job and he feels grinding out points is the best way of doing that. Who knows? Either way, if still true it certainly goes a long way to explaining why we're so rigid going forward and poor at set-pieces.

the big defeats were before we went more expansive apart from wigan and i doubt anyone expects him to,play that way in every game, unfortunatly he's been treating chelsea away the same as norwich at home.

maybe he just wants to get points on the board to preserve his job and he feels grinding out points is the best way of doing that.

That's what I think. There's probably some clauses in his contract about losing a certain percentage of games so he plays it safe.

Why? We've got naturally talented attacking players, not so much with the defensive side.

He's already made us a difficult side to beat though IMO (something that he deserves a tremendous amount of credit for), do you not think he should be pushing on and trying to build on that?

The next logical step seems to be to focus on our attacking play, which on the evidence if this season he either isn't doing at all or else he has no idea how to go about it.

Its an ongoing thing isnt it, you dont suddenly just become a hard side to beat. Its based on the preperation he puts in for each individual game. Which you'd imagine is halved now if he's doing the same for European games.

Its an ongoing thing isnt it, you dont suddenly just become a hard side to beat. Its based on the preperation he puts in for each individual game. Which you'd imagine is halved now if he's doing the same for European games.

You would still think picking up Nolan would be high on his list of priorities. Even if he did only have half the time to work with the players.

You would still think picking up Nolan would be high on his list of priorities. Even if he did only have half the time to work with the players.

He didnt have many chances did he. Hard to deal with a mishit shot going right to someones feet at that speed, especially with him jumping back onside at the last second. Was a bit of luck + clever play from him. We should've cleared it so the lad couldnt get the original shot in.