Alan Pardew

Dave

It's not about the 433 itself as a formation. It's about what gives our best attacking player, Ben Arfa, the best chance to hurt teams. I didn't mind him at all playing behind Ba for example as he did away to Man Utd last season. In fact I quite enjoyed watching him play more central, and I thought with a good run of games there he'd really flourish.

As things stand, HBA is shackled, badly, in his current role, and I applaud him for continuing to track back and cover his defensive duties despite his frustrations. It's easy for a footballer like him these days to shrivel up and hoy the toys out. It's what is expected of him of course, being a professional and all.

Something isn't going right somewhere, and I'm not sure Pardew can put his finger on it. The much famed "Team spirit" seems to have dissipated a bit compared to what we've seen in the last couple of seasons, and I believe it may have something to do with the transfer sagas of the summer (Agents, heads turned etc..) coupled with second season syndrome, injuries, suspensions, etc..

I hope this is just a phase, an exception, rather than the rule.

In the uber competitive environment of the PL windows of oppurtunity come along rarely and everybody at the club is tuned into 'the vibe' of how a side is doing. The remarkable 5th place finish had a massive momentum to it and we failed to capitalise and build on that. This will be writ large on the minds of everyone at the club especially the best players. That's where the spirit has gone.

It's not about the 433 itself as a formation. It's about what gives our best attacking player, Ben Arfa, the best chance to hurt teams. I didn't mind him at all playing behind Ba for example as he did away to Man Utd last season. In fact I quite enjoyed watching him play more central, and I thought with a good run of games there he'd really flourish.

As things stand, HBA is shackled, badly, in his current role, and I applaud him for continuing to track back and cover his defensive duties despite his frustrations. It's easy for a footballer like him these days to shrivel up and hoy the toys out. It's what is expected of him of course, being a professional and all.

Something isn't going right somewhere, and I'm not sure Pardew can put his finger on it. The much famed "Team spirit" seems to have dissipated a bit compared to what we've seen in the last couple of seasons, and I believe it may have something to do with the transfer sagas of the summer (Agents, heads turned etc..) coupled with second season syndrome, injuries, suspensions, etc..

In the uber competitive environment of the PL windows of oppurtunity come along rarely and everybody at the club is tuned into 'the vibe' of how a side is doing. The remarkable 5th place finish had a massive momentum to it and we failed to capitalise and build on that. This will be writ large on the minds of everyone at the club especially the best players. That's where the spirit has gone.

alternatively, we could have carried on the momentum by playing the way we did at our best last season, even if we couldn't carry it on at least try to copy what it was we were doing well, especially when it becomes obvious that the alternative doesn't work.

i'm sure the players know the way the clubs transfer policy works and we will bring in what we can.

the most annoying thing for me is that the biggest signing we made seemed perfect to fit in to what we were doing well only for us to go against it all.

Just like Ba and Cisse i have concerns with Tiote and Anita as a partnership they are both DM's and have the fear of them stepping on each other's toes.

Honestly Tiote-Anita-Cabaye is the best partnership we have right for a midfield 3 but honestly long term i don't see it being a fruitful partnership.

Jonas was ideal but his form and gone downhill pretty quickly, Ba was ideal for the left of the attack but he seems to only want to play central now and Debuchy seemingly was coming in at RB to add extra width.

All 3 major pieces for 4-3-3 to work and 3 seem to have faltered for one reason or another.

Just like Ba and Cisse i have concerns with Tiote and Anita as a partnership they are both DM's and have the fear of them stepping on each other's toes.

Honestly Tiote-Anita-Cabaye is the best partnership we have right for a midfield 3 but honestly long term i don't see it being a fruitful partnership.

Jonas was ideal but his form and gone downhill pretty quickly, Ba was ideal for the left of the attack but he seems to only want to play central now and Debuchy seemingly was coming in at RB to add extra width.

All 3 major pieces for 4-3-3 to work and 3 seem to have faltered for one reason or another.

anita has shown at right back thats he's more than just a DM and i'm hoping as he settles in we see the range of passing and showing for the ball that he reputedly did in holland.

alternatively, we could have carried on the momentum by playing the way we did at our best last season, even if we couldn't carry it on at least try to copy what it was we were doing well, especially when it becomes obvious that the alternative doesn't work.

i'm sure the players know the way the clubs transfer policy works and we will bring in what we can.

the most annoying thing for me is that the biggest signing we made seemed perfect to fit in to what we were doing well only for us to go against it all.

Pardew seems to prefer one particular way that much is clear. He's been as you say counter intuitive all this season. I can only think he's too worried about making Ba unhappy again or futher his exteneded family, agent, friends, hangers on and half of the African continent. He's trying to hard to please everyone (the sign of a weak manager) AND within that prison win games.

I certainly don't envy him.

anita has shown at right back thats he's more than just a DM and i'm hoping as he settles in we see the range of passing and showing for the ball that he reputedly did in holland.

Yeah i know but the thing is Anita was at his best for Ajax getting the ball off the CB's and starting plays also in some occasions going into the back 4 when Vertonghen made runs forward.

Which would obviously mean Tiote would have to be a bit further forward which he really wouldn't be effective in.

What i'm really getting at is that i feel Anita or Tiote alongside a box to box midfielder or deep playmaker would be a much better fit instead of Anita and Tiote.

Just have the feeling that long term that their compatibility isn't exactly high just like Ba and Cisse's isn't but for different reasons.

Obviously it's the best we can do at the moment though.

I don't understand what our players are supposed to be doing on the pitch, they remind me of England at times, little commitment, little responsibility taken and most of all absolutely no inventiveness or movement with a few notable exceptions. We didn't always play technically brilliant footy last season, but we were always hungry and had absolutely the right attitude. No idea what's happened to that.

This is where the tagetting players primarily for thier value rather than what we need them for falls down. Cabaye is the closest thing we have to an allround midfielder and to replace him with similar would I imagine cost a packet. If we carry on like this and he's shackled to the firefighting role I have a feeling he'll be off. There is so much more to his game.

This is where the tagetting players primarily for thier value rather than what we need them for falls down. Cabaye is the closest thing we have to an allround midfielder and to replace him with similar would I imagine cost a packet. If we carry on like this and he's shackled to the firefighting role I have a feeling he'll be off. There is so much more to his game.

i'm not sure we do in the way you are insinuating but like all clubs (bar the chosen few) we have to look to value.

Yeah i know but the thing is Anita was at his best for Ajax getting the ball off the CB's and starting plays also in some occasions going into the back 4 when Vertonghen made runs forward.

Which would obviously mean Tiote would have to be a bit further forward which he really wouldn't be effective in.

What i'm really getting at is that i feel Anita or Tiote alongside a box to box midfielder or deep playmaker would be a much better fit instead of Anita and Tiote.

Just have the feeling that long term that their compatibility isn't exactly high just like Ba and Cisse's isn't but for different reasons.

Obviously it's the best we can do at the moment though.

box to box midfielders are extinct , this is not the 90's when every team played 4-4-2.  now its just hard to find a box to box man to fit into pardew's archaic back-to-the-future -4-4-2

i look man utd, chelsea, Ciddy, who are their box to box man?

I really want Pardew to turn things around for us because I would hate us to go through another transitional period with a new manager.  He needs to stop pissing about with his team selection midweek to weekend and he needs to let the players have a bit more freedom to go forward and express themselves.  Watching us playing football is like watching somebody trying to use his arms while wearing a straightjacket and it’s as frustrating as hell.  I was actually kicking bottles around on Sunday while waiting for the crowds to leave the ground. 

We need to pick our best players on Saturday and tell them to go and piss all over Swansea, which is easier said than done. 

Ben Arfa has 3 players around him when he has the ball, where the hell are our spare players when this happens?  Ben Arfa has been surrounded by players since his debut and we haven't tried to take advantage of it.  You never see anybody running into or creating space.  I'm sick of seeing us with the ball and having no outlet, creating space is a basic part of football and we don't do it while every team we play against seem able to find plenty.

I think we've always played better when we close the opposition down, we don't even do that now, we wait for them to get to us and they have as long as they want on the ball.  Again, that's basic stuff and we don't seem able to grasp things which you learn at an early age.

Pardew has made plenty of noise about the type of game he wants us to play, where is it?  And, what is it?  He seriously can't want us to play the way that we are and if he does then I can't see what he's trying to do with it. 

Our players aren't shit but you wouldn't know that if you watched the way we are playing, they look clueless and I don't think that they are.  I think we have a very good core of players with our strongest 11 and we're not performing anywhere close to the level that we should be playing at. 

They are not instinct man :lol:

Diame is someone i would describe as box to box, we was linked with someone i would describe as box to box in Moussa Sissoko.

Also Ramires is Chelsea's box to box, Yaya is a fine example of a box to box midfielder.

Ok Man Utd don't have one but their needs and the way they are set up is different.

All i was saying is someone like Sissoko with Anita or Tiote would be better than Anita and Tiote IMO and the partnership would fit better.

Personally we need someone like that in our midfield 3 to link the attacks between the DM who ever it maybe and Cabaye or a deep playmaker type i'm not at confident in Anita-Tiote-Cabaye working well in the long term.

I think you have to have that link man between Cabaye and the DM whether he links by lung bursting runs through the heart of midfield like Yaya does or deep playmaking who links by passing through the midfield i think we are missing someone like that.

If Tiote or Anita can do one of those roles than fairplay but i'm not sure it work so well as a 3 if i'm honest in the long term. Which is why i keep saying that i feel Anita was bought to replace Tiote rather than play alongside him.

All along the 442 was for one reason, it started with protecting the fullbacks and to have a rigid structure when we don't have the ball. It comes from analysing too much prozone and how teams concede form breakaways (when players are out of positon or up the pitch).

I think one of the positives with the way we sign players is, if Pardew went, we shouldn't need a transitional period with a new manager. I'm pretty sure Pardew has very little input into our transfers dealings, so new man would just have to work with what he's given as well. Then it's finding someone happy to work under those conditions.

which is ? beyond doing more homework on players and being unwilling to pay more than we think we should i don't think anyone actually knows how we go about it.

Well this thread is certainly one to lift some spirits. I've already posted my thoughts about Pardew many pages back. Long story short, whilst the season has been very underwhelming and frustrating, I still trust him.

We look for players we can buy rather than specific players we need.

Yesterday I jokingly said its the equivalent of just giving a chef a random collection of ingredients and asking him to cook a great dish, but to be honest I can't think of a better comparison. Take Anita for example, why make him our only significant signing when we clearly had no vision of where he was going to play?

Yesterday I jokingly said its the equivalent of just giving a chef a random collection of ingredients and asking him to cook a great dish, but to be honest I can't think of a better comparison. Take Anita for example, why make him our only significant signing when we clearly had no vision of where he was going to play?

i disagree. we wont pay over the odds for players and are prepared to wait. anita was obviously to play in the middle 3 when he's settled and in case we got a "can't say no" offer for tiote

interesting people shouting about the need for a better centre half for cover but not for central midfield.

i'm guessing they didn't want anita to be our only significant deal of the summer but if aggreements can't be made then so be it.

I think one of the positives with the way we sign players is, if Pardew went, we shouldn't need a transitional period with a new manager. I'm pretty sure Pardew has very little input into our transfers dealings, so new man would just have to work with what he's given as well. Then it's finding someone happy to work under those conditions.

which is ? beyond doing more homework on players and being unwilling to pay more than we think we should i don't think anyone actually knows how we go about it.

I think he may have been alluding to the fact that Pardew's got nothing to do with it?

I'm pretty sure if our chef was buying the ingredients he'd be signing Leroy Lita's or Shefki Quki types tbh.

Poll started 23rd April 2012

How has Pardew done so far?

83% brilliant, 15% good, 1.2% okay.

It seems ludicrous to me that he can go from that to should be sacked in 6 months, especially considering while we're no doubt playing very poorly, we're not exactly rooted to the bottom.

Cant find original article, quotes are here though:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/221302

“Every Monday he comes into work having compiled a defensive report on the opposition. That’s his project, working with our video analysts to provide players with the best information.

This week, for example, he will talk about Manchester City’s angles of attack, their set-pieces, their movement, as well as focussing on individuals. The lads will be made aware of ­Dzeko’s strengths and weaknesses, the best way to nullify Silva, Milner’s ­incredible work-rate, everything.

That takes care of Monday to ­Thursday. On Friday it’s my turn when we look at ways to get at opponents. Put simply, Alan concentrates on how not to lose and I then find ways to win.”