Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest sicko2ndbest

No complaints today, out of interest was Jonas dropped or injured? I think it's safe to say the players are still playing for him like. Nice to see our strongest formation being given time to work.

AP 'not having Jonas's defensive nous in the team today was the reason we conceded 4. We missed him today and he'll be back for Arsenal'

No complaints today, out of interest was Jonas dropped or injured? I think it's safe to say the players are still playing for him like. Nice to see our strongest formation being given time to work.

Yes, that's certainly something i was thinking about at full-time. Each player gave every cell to get a result there, and the agony/delight with every goal conceded/scored was plain to see. It's something i'm quite relieved about as i think i've (somewhat naively, maybe) fallen for the media bullshit that surrounds us whenever we're in a rough patch.

Guest icemanblue

Think we've been fairly good since Southampton away. At least as good as in the equivalent games last season, if not better:

Stoke (a)

Last season was one of our best performances, won 3-1. This year we didn't play as well but Stoke hadn't had a shot on target until the last 10 mins. Should have got 3 points, instead got none.

Better performance last season.

Wigan (h)

Took until the last 10 mins for Cabaye to curl it into the corner from outside the box for a 1-0 win. I remember thinking that if Rodallega had been able to hit a barn door we probably wouldn't have got all the points. This year we carved them open inside 10 mins - red card and penalty making the rest of the game very straightforward.

Better performance this season

Fulham (a)

Total capitulation last year. At times it wasn't great this year either, but still an improvement. Although the side we faced probably wasn't as good either.

Better performance this season

Man City (h)

Same margin of defeat. We probably threatened them more this year, however I thought City were imperious last year. I'd say we were better last season.

Better performance last season.

QPR (h)

I'd say both sides actually gave a better account of themselves this year. I remember thinking that you would never know the aim of the game was to score a goal by watching the last half hour last year. Shola got the winner this year with a strike very similar to Best's winner in January.

Slightly better this season.

Man United (a)

3 goals and hitting the woodwork twice is some effort at Old Trafford. Didn't get a point though, and unlike last year we had 11 men for the duration. You could point to our failure to defend properly this year as well. Hernandez put the ball in the net in stoppage time last year and was ruled offside, this year he did the same and was onside.

Could argue it either way but I'd say we were better this year.

Bearing in mind we sold Best and Guthrie and only brought in Anita for the 1st team, and we haven't had Cabaye or Taylor available for any of the last 6 games, and have only had HBA for one of them, I'd say I'm happy with what Pardew is getting from the players in terms of performances at the moment.

People on here go on as if there is a great deal more to come from the players currently available, but aside from improving at set pieces I just don't see it, and have never seen it. There's very little between what he is producing now and what he produced to win Manager of the season.

If he gets 3 points v Everton (which will be tougher game than last season) then I will be satisfied that he has turned it around from the performances v Southampton and West Ham, which obviously weren't acceptable.

Good post, that.

We've definitely improved since the Southampton defeat. Before Wigan we didn't look like we couldn't buy a win.

Basically i get less worried about relegation with every game that passes, really. Yay this season.

Guest malandro

We've definitely improved since the Southampton defeat. Before Wigan we didn't look like we couldn't buy a win.

Basically i get less worried about relegation with every game that passes, really. Yay this season.

We could hardly of got worse.

I know this isn't going to be popular but I thought our 'improved performance' today had more to do with how MU approached the game than anything we did. They just went out to score more goals than we did and that's what they did. I can't recall a game this season where a team has worried so little about our attacking threat.

Everton and Norwich will be far more informative games.

I know this isn't going to be popular but I thought our 'improved performance' today had more to do with how MU approached the game than anything we did. They just went out to score more goals than we did and that's what they did. I can't recall a game this season where a team has worried so little about our attacking threat.

Everton and Norwich will be far more informative games.

and arsenal imo, "big" team but more takeable than manyoo for at least a point surely?  agree though, once the opportunity to raise themselves (yet lose) against the big boys has passed it'll become clear where we really are...funnily it's probably easier to play better football against bigger teams 'cause that's what they're all about themselves, they're just better than us at it

my worries is and remains teams coming to SJP and shutting the doors, seen nothing to suggest pardew has the first idea how to break them down and will revert to form

He seems to have taken this defeat really badly and so he should in a sense. Maybe the atrocious defending for the winning goal will finally get ball rolling to replace those clowns at the back. Pardew must be doing his nut in when he sees goals like that go in but its only going to keep on happening again and again and again until they're replaced. Ridiculous achilles heel which is costing us stupid amounts of points.

IMHO we could carry Simpson if we bought a solid cb. I know the ground work is done for Debuchy, but I'd rather the club go all out for a cb if it meant choosing one or the other, and knowing us that'll be the score if we're lucky.

End of the day Santon is lucky he has Colo next to him, watching, guiding and there to cover mistakes, Simpson has Williamson, must be difficult for him to cope with. Also it stretches Colo looking after shit to the right of him as well as his own job and protecting his young lb.

That's why I said Pardew has a point in playing that rigid direct style last season because our defenders are f***ing hopeless.

don't believe this for a second myself, if we signed debuchy and douglas on 1st january i don't think it'd change his approach one iota

That's why I said Pardew has a point in playing that rigid direct style last season because our defenders are f***ing hopeless.

don't believe this for a second myself, if we signed debuchy and douglas on 1st january i don't think it'd change his approach one iota

I don't see why not, mate. There's being cautious and there's pissing points away.

IMHO we could carry Simpson if we bought a solid cb. I know the ground work is done for Debuchy, but I'd rather the club go all out for a cb if it meant choosing one or the other, and knowing us that'll be the score if we're lucky.

End of the day Santon is lucky he has Colo next to him, watching, guiding and there to cover mistakes, Simpson has Williamson, must be difficult for him to cope with. Also it stretches Colo looking after s*** to the right of him as well as his own job and protecting his young lb.

Definitely agree with that. I think a solid CH is more important than a RB. The thought however of a quality RB who can attack, take on a man and cross is the stuff dreams are made of :lol:

The system last year was basically we put 3 midfield (cabaye, tiote, jonas) to protect the defense line, and use the direct approach to utilize our strikers' clinical finishing and prevent counter attack. This system worked last season because the key players were always available.  We got huge luck in having most of them free from injury. The result proved that this system "worked".

Not saying that we should continue this formula this season, but I just want to emphasize that this system hugely depends on the availability of those key players which are not ALL available this season. As a result the defense line completely collapsed. On the other hand, this system wont bring us enough goals to cover up the goals conceded and that's why where we are now.

End of the day Santon is lucky he has Colo next to him, watching, guiding and there to cover mistakes, Simpson has Williamson, must be difficult for him to cope with. Also it stretches Colo looking after s*** to the right of him as well as his own job and protecting his young lb.

Definitely agree with that. I think a solid CH is more important than a RB. The thought however of a quality RB who can attack, take on a man and cross is the stuff dreams are made of :lol:

Tend to disagree with that.

Although we need both a RB and CH, Williamson is essentially a squad player who for whatever reason (injuries,suspensions) has played far more games than he would have expected to, whereas even with Raylor fit Simpson would be considered first choice RB. I also (although don't want to start debating it) think he is a weaker link than Williamson.

So we need both, but if there's a discussion on priority it's RB for me.

If he gets us playing like we did yesterday on a regular basis then it won't be such a bad season. Thought he had everything pretty much spot on yesterday and on another day we would have had at least a point.

We'd have had a point yesterday if he didn't take our strikers off. He was begging them to attack us by doing that.

Ba had to come off, to be fair. He's absolutely beyond useless in circumstances where you need to see out a game.

That's usually a fair point but when you're bringing on the Ameobi brothers, Ba staying on is the better option simply because he can finish and that scares teams. If they'd have taken Van Persie and Hernandez off I'd have been delighted.

I don't see why not, mate. There's being cautious and there's pissing points away.

i just think his primary gameplan and goal is always to keep the defence tight, so signing better defenders would lead him to revert to the plan of last season which was based on starting out to keep it tight for a 1-0 win and if we somehow managed to score more then great

just my opinion, you never know, i've been frankly devastated by the way he's set the team out to play this season after the way we ended the last...it's like he went out of his way to undo all the good work that was done