Alan Pardew

Dave

Tbh, I can't complain about the recruitment strategy. We've got some fucking great players and for peanuts too. The problem atm, as I see it, lies squarely with Pardew and his failure to integrate these individuals into a decent footballing side. At the end of the day, I don't think anyone can argue otherwise that we need a talented manager to manage this club - not just a man that can deliver results on the pitch, but someone that can 'manage' the owners as well.

Guest bimpy474

I think going by what's been reported, Carr gives a list to Pardew and he then gives him his recommendation from the list. Club then tries to buy said player.

Can't see why another manager can't work like that. Problem for us is what manager would work for Ashley and Dekka, Carr is fine as a proper football man, which any new manager would see right away. But those two.

Tbh, I can't complain about the recruitment strategy. We've got some fucking great players and for peanuts too. The problem atm, as I see it, lies squarely with Pardew and his failure to integrate these individuals into a decent footballing side. At the end of the day, I don't think anyone can argue otherwise that we need a talented manager to manage this club - not just a man that can deliver results on the pitch, but someone that can 'manage' the owners as well.

Really? I think it's fundamentally flawed. The manager doesn't have enough input and the players aren't being bought for what they can bring to the team but what they can bring as a financial asset.

Example: Pardew clearly wanted to play 4-4-2 this season, our only signing was a midfielder who can only play in a central three.

Guest bimpy474

Really? I think it's fundamentally flawed. The manager doesn't have enough input and the players aren't being bought for what they can bring to the team but what they can bring as a financial asset.

Example: Pardew clearly wanted to play 4-4-2 this season, our only signing was a midfielder who can only play in a central three.

Massive worry for me that, all about sell on value, Debuchy excluded if he stayed his contract.

I wouldn't even mind if we were very competent at bringing in a load of players cheap and then selling on season after season, but this haphazard buy a few then if the good ones leave we look in massive trouble...Wigan somehow always churn up a few gems (may be getting beyond them this season actually)

“If I’m honest, I was quite happy about it [being sacked by Southampton].” “I thought I’d done a good job, but it was proving to be very, very difficult to work with the owner.” “I wouldn’t have jumped before I was pushed, but it was a difficult period working with Mr Cortese.”

Value is obviously massively important, but I don't think it's fair to say the team needs are totally neglected. We needed goals, we got Cisse. We needed a RB and we got one, albeit too late.

Finances are very important to the regime obviously, but that has also led to some great signings.

Wullie is spot on. Too often we have to make do with gaping holes in our squad because the selling club wanted 'too much money' or agents wanted paying. There's being sensible and then there's just plain penny pinching. This is our 4th window needing a centre half (we need 2 really) and yet Pardew is saying it doesn't look like we'll get one again.

Value is obviously massively important, but I don't think it's fair to say the team needs are totally neglected. We needed goals, we got Cisse. We needed a RB and we got one, albeit too late.

Finances are very important to the regime obviously, but that has also led to some great signings.

Give over man, since we bought Coloccini in 2008, we've spent money on one centre half. One!

Guest bimpy474

Give over man, since we bought Coloccini in 2008, we've spent money on one centre half. One!

No. Williamson in the championship :lol:

Oh the humanity :(

It doesn't surprise me that people will want to make this about us not spending enough money, but that's just the reality of our position. The owner doesn't want to spend money and he's the only owner we've got or are likely to get in the near future. My only issue with him is he needs to hire a competent manager. Even if it's on the cheap, one who has some basic football common sense will do.

The people running the club and the team have been winging it for ages man. It collapsed in 2008-09 and worked spectacularly well in 2011-12 and this season is already a write-off.

There's no plan, there's no system, there's no vision. They just make it up as they go along and that applies to everything about the club. Everything. From team formations to buying players to recruiting sponsors to scouting players to coaching players to changing kit suppliers...it's everything. It's a multi-million pound business and it's being run off the cuff and that's inexcusable.

The most annoying thing is that the useless cunts running the gaff will see survival as success. "We've done it again lads. High five Derek... Giddyup Alan..."

Struggling to think of a more poorly run club in the league than us. I'm trying to write out a post summing up what I believe to be wrong with the club at the moment but there's just too much s*** :lol:

In short;

Lack of proper back room staff. Do we even have an attacking coach?!

Lack of proper youth development. How's about sending some of the young lads out on loan? Look at Bigi to see the positive effect of playing competitive football week in week out!

Lack of first team strengthening. Going into the season it was obvious to everyone what positions in the first XI needed strengthening. Did they do it? Of course not :lol:

Lack of squad depth. I literally cannot remember a time in my 15 or so years supporting this club where we have actually had a good level of squad depth. It cripples us time and time again. This for me is the big one, the main thing that needs to be addressed and never will under Ashley as he simply won't spend money on players just for them to get a game here and there.

Lack of improvement on the pitch. Everyone on this forum can see where our problems are on the pitch so surely Alan can too? Do they get addressed? Nah. Without a doubt the most frustrating thing for me watching us play isn't the feeling of a loss but the fact we see the same mistakes and problems week in week out. We are the WORST team in the league for set pieces bar none.

I actually envy Spurs. That's how a football club should be run.

Guest bimpy474

Struggling to think of a more poorly run club in the league than us. I'm trying to write out a post summing up what I believe to be wrong with the club at the moment but there's just too much s*** :lol:

In short;

Lack of proper back room staff. Do we even have an attacking coach?!

Lack of proper youth development. How's about sending some of the young lads out on loan? Look at Bigi to see the positive effect of playing competitive football week in week out!

Lack of first team strengthening. Going into the season it was obvious to everyone what positions in the first XI needed strengthening. Did they do it? Of course not :lol:

Lack of squad depth. I literally cannot remember a time in my 15 or so years supporting this club where we have actually had a good level of squad depth. It cripples us time and time again. This for me is the big one, the main thing that needs to be addressed and never will under Ashley as he simply won't spend money on players just for them to get a game here and there.

Lack of improvement on the pitch. Everyone on this forum can see where our problems are on the pitch so surely Alan can too? Do they get addressed? Nah. Without a doubt the most frustrating thing for me watching us play isn't the feeling of a loss but the fact we see the same mistakes and problems week in week out. We are the WORST team in the league for set pieces bar none.

I actually envy Spurs. That's how a football club should be run.

Tbf we never ever sent young uns out on loan under Hoots. We have seen players go out on loan a lot under Pardew, just the wrong ones as the squad is so small.

This is a good point Wullie, but in a perfect world would you rather we signed players to suit Pardewball or got rid of the manager and got somebody who knows how to use Anita, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Marveaux etc?

To be honest, the transfer policy at an absolute basic level isn't terrible. Good players have came to the club. It just doesn't happen enough and with the intention to create a full squad, and there is simply too much stubborness over things like signing players in their peak, or making exceptions when a squad position absolutely has to be filled.  The fact that it was apparently a difficult decision to sign Debuchy because he's a year above the designated age limit is just stupidity for example. With more flexibility in terms of padding out the squad, and with a managerial/coaching set-up that can use what players he's given it could work more effictively.

edit: So basically what I'm saying is with massive fundamental changes and a new manager it might be good. :lol:

Guest bimpy474

I dont think we would have signed Anita if Guthrie had stayed.

Ridiculous how they have us thinking about transfers now.

When has the squad never been small though? Part of last seasons success was down to the fact we didn't pick up any major injuries. Having an actual squad for once (crazy idea I know) would be so much more beneficial to us and actually allow us to compete in several competitions (instead of going out in the first round to Brighton...)  but the fat man clearly would never sanction spending money on squad players unless they're cheap buys.

Whoever said about £1M players playing like £1M players was spot on. Fucking sick of it season after season.

Tbh, I can't complain about the recruitment strategy. We've got some f***ing great players and for peanuts too. The problem atm, as I see it, lies squarely with Pardew and his failure to integrate these individuals into a decent footballing side. At the end of the day, I don't think anyone can argue otherwise that we need a talented manager to manage this club - not just a man that can deliver results on the pitch, but someone that can 'manage' the owners as well.

Yep. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Pardew had next to no say in who we sign.

'Here's a new signing for you Alan, enjoy. It's not the position we need to strengthen but we reckon we can make some money on him in a few years.' seems about right.

Guest bimpy474

When has the squad never been small though? Part of last seasons success was down to the fact we didn't pick up any major injuries. Having an actual squad for once (crazy idea I know) would be so much more beneficial to us and actually allow us to compete in several competitions (instead of going out in the first round to Brighton...)  but the fat man clearly would never sanction spending money on squad players unless they're cheap buys.

Whoever said about £1M players playing like £1M players was spot on. Fucking sick of it season after season.

Brighton's players, Smith (blonde hair bloke) was £2.2m, are all under a million players. But their manager teaches them to pass and move. Fwiw.

Whoever said about £1M players playing like £1M players was spot on. f***ing sick of it season after season.

Brighton's players, Smith (blonde hair bloke) was £2.2m, are all under a million players. But their manager teaches them to pass and move. Fwiw.

Yeah and that's why Brighton play in the championship and we play in the PL. Their team is filled with cheap players and yet they made us look woeful, with a lot of help from us as well.

And your last point is going back to mine about seeing the same problems time and time again :p We simply don't look like a football team.

The problem is a bit of both. As I said earlier, Pardew talks the talk about passing football and we've glimpses of it. But when his best players are unavailable he seems to just default to hoofing it, changing to 4-4-2 etc. He doesn't have the squad he needs, but he doesn't appear to coach what he does have properly either. It's as though the good players train completely separately to the rest.

Whoever said about £1M players playing like £1M players was spot on. f***ing sick of it season after season.

The problem is a bit of both. As I said earlier, Pardew talks the talk about passing football and we've glimpses of it. But when his best players are unavailable he seems to just default to hoofing it, changing to 4-4-2 etc. He doesn't have the squad he needs, but he doesn't appear to coach what he does have properly either. It's as though the good players train completely separately to the rest.

Yep. I've even got to the point now that I can't get excited over who we sign as I just feel it's going to be exactly the same awful football and tactics regardless of who is in the team :(

Guest bimpy474

Yeah and that's why Brighton play in the championship and we play in the PL. Their team is filled with cheap players and yet they made us look woeful, with a lot of help from us as well.

And your last point is going back to mine about seeing the same problems time and time again :p We simply don't look like a football team.

Aye, we do look a team of complete strangers. I hate that it tbh.

Guest bimpy474

Missing a few players shouldn't reset a manager to factory settings though. I think it shows just how poor he actually is. When the team is fully fit the players carry him along and not the other way around.