Alan Pardew

Dave

TT, do you really believe Ashley would keep Pardew if he finishes 10th but not if he finishes 15th? Doesn't seem to tally with the common view that Ashley isn't interested in football. Why should those two finishes be any different in his eyes?

FWIW I think Pardew is here for the long term unless we get relegated.

Everything internally at the football club - currently anyway - revolves around finishing 8th as "par"

What has he ever done in his past career that gives people confidence that he is going to be a top manager with the same club over a period of more than 2 years ?

has he not been shitcanned before 2 years in every other job? :lol:

west ham was longer but he never got 2 seasons in the top flight did he?

This is the crux of it really. Not many managers have more than two years in any job because they're almost always sacked as soon as things go wrong.

My views on Pardew are properly mixed... I think he is a decent manager overall and I like how he comes across usually. But some of his decisions have been a bit weird. Then again, I can't remember a manager where the fans have agreed exactly with their decisions on selection and tactics. I also think his interviews are unfairly and excessively analysed.

TT, do you really believe Ashley would keep Pardew if he finishes 10th but not if he finishes 15th? Doesn't seem to tally with the common view that Ashley isn't interested in football. Why should those two finishes be any different in his eyes?

Everything internally at the football club - currently anyway - revolves around finishing 8th as "par"

OK, so Ashley does have football-related targets then.

Historically it's taken roughtly two seasons for the 'blag' to wear off. :lol: Apparently, suddenly all his 'hoppity - skippity', grinning, bedroom eyes, cheeky post match narnia - illusions to magic turns into a big wet brown mushroom.

How much do you know about NUFC/Pardew that you aren't able to divulge on this forum?

sweet jesus :facepalm:

I've seen quite a few people agree that our average finish should be about 8th.

it was more the use of "par" that bothered me, but now i realise golfmag himself just used it as opposed to that being the internal mantra of the club :lol:

Historically it's taken roughtly two seasons for the 'blag' to wear off. :lol: Apparently, suddenly all his 'hoppity - skippity', grinning, bedroom eyes, cheeky post match narnia - illusions to magic turns into a big wet brown mushroom.

Arguable for sure, the difference is this time he won't get sacked so we'll get to see what season three is like. Maybe he's developed and will have a way to turn things around.

Arguable for sure, the difference is this time he won't get sacked so we'll get to see what season three is like. Maybe he's developed and will have a way to turn things around.

Alternatively he gets hit by a fukin bus.

we'll know in the next 3 games if he'll ever turn this around and improve as a manager and if he's learned anything from the 1st half of the season, i refuse to accept that if he retreats into his shell now and tries to 1-0 his way to safety with shola up top & cisse on the wing that he'll ever improve as a manager

Long term he's not the answer regardless of what happens this season. He's not implemented any kind of footballing philosophy on the club, he's too worried about using training to stop the other team play. If we want to be able to compete top 8 places season after season we need our own style.

Long term he's not the answer regardless of what happens this season. He's not implemented any kind of footballing philosophy on the club, he's too worried about using training to stop the other team play. If we want to be able to compete top 8 places season after season we need our own style.

Unfortunatly we have our own style under Pardew, and everyone else in the league knows it,

Just another thought on this. I don't think it would take a long time to implement a playing style on a squad. See Laudrup at Swansea/Rodgers at Liverpool.

If I was in charge, I'd pull the trigger now before it gets any worse. I'd go all out to get a well respected coach, perhaps continental that would work within the confines of the regime.

Obvs this wont happen. But as far as I see it now, there can't be many who would be doing a worse job than he is right now

To be fair, for Laudrup he already had a mentality and style at Swansea to progress and develop. Our style has been broken for years and needed starting from scratch, unfortunately Pards does not know how to set the foundations

Guest tollemache

Not very good examples, those. Swansea's style of play has been evolving since Martinez took over absolutely yonks ago, while Liverpool are a great example of it taking quite a while to get good at that style, because so far they've struggled to adapt to it.

A better example might be Mourinho coming in at Chelsea, but all we learn from that is that it's easier to impose defensive rigidity than it is to teach attacking fluidity.

Guest tollemache

...with Newcastle being another good example of that. Pardew coming in, playing a defensive style and promising all the while that he's going to try to move in a more positive, attacking direction, then encountering problems when he tried to do it.

Not very good examples, those. Swansea's style of play has been evolving since Martinez took over absolutely yonks ago, while Liverpool are a great example of it taking quite a while to get good at that style, because so far they've struggled to adapt to it.

A better example might be Mourinho coming in at Chelsea, but all we learn from that is that it's easier to impose defensive rigidity than it is to teach attacking fluidity.

I'm not too sure I agree,Swansea play a very very different game to Martinez/Rodgers. Much more direct, replaced players, more forward thinking.

Also If liverpool are struggling with that style, then  half a season isn't too bad from where they were under Dalglish. They may not be challenging the top four but they are streets ahead of us at present.

Agreed on Mourinho. He took his style and imprinted it instantly on chelsea. However, like you say Pardew has had a long time to try and implement something from the ground up. He's spectacularly failed, we dont seem to have a discernible game plan ever

We have that special gameplan - the one that changes every 15 min.

I'm not too sure I agree,Swansea play a very very different game to Martinez/Rodgers. Much more direct, replaced players, more forward thinking.

Also If liverpool are struggling with that style, then  half a season isn't too bad from where they were under Dalglish. They may not be challenging the top four but they are streets ahead of us at present.

Agreed on Mourinho. He took his style and imprinted it instantly on chelsea. However, like you say Pardew has had a long time to try and implement something from the ground up. He's spectacularly failed, we dont seem to have a discernible game plan ever

Swansea still play good football with a basic principle of retaining the ball. They just move up the pitch quicker and have more of an edge to them thanks to De Guzman and Michu mainly. He has been able to evolve there game well so far because they already have the foundations to build on. When you have a team that already know how to do the basics well and how to play it's probably helps in tweaking the style which is effectively what Laudrup has done