Alan Pardew

Dave

It's going to have to be some pendulum swing paradigm shift if he's going to change his frankly idiotic ways for the better. I'd love to say I'll give him to end of the season but I haven't been this wound up about the club in a while. At least when we were relegated we were on a pretty predictable trajectory in the years before.

How is that in any way better?

It's going to have to be some pendulum swing paradigm shift if he's going to change his frankly idiotic ways for the better. I'd love to say I'll give him to end of the season but I haven't been this wound up about the club in a while. At least when we were relegated we were on a pretty predictable trajectory in the years before.

Fuck knows, the ludicrous appointments post Bobby sent us on an almost consistently downward spiral that was the most predictable and depressing period I've known.

Much prefer the surprise cock slap to the face of this season. Still plenty of hope for the team.

Guest bimpy474

Just out of interest - how many clubs have a particular style of play/philosophy?  I agree that Pardew's lack of work on attacking play and tactical awareness is being shown up at the moment, but I do feel that the whole philosophy is a bit woolly and possibly being overplayed.

I fully expect to be torn apart for this by the way.

A 'particular style of play' to me refers more how easily and well players of lesser ability can slot into the team and do more than simply make up the numbers. Lots of teams can do this effectively, by which I mean they don't instantly turn to the turgid 'kick the ball as far as possible from our goal', ultra-negative play we've seen so regularly this season and even parts of last. Pardew's philosophy to date seems to be that if all of our best players aren't available then we simply can't do the same things, and I don't buy that. Some have excused it by saying we can't play good football with Williamson and Simpson in the side, but we managed it perfectly well during those six wins in a row last season in which they both played every minute. Sorry, Simpson was taken off with 8mins left against Stoke at 3-0.

As I've said however, the ludicrous 11 purples thing doesn't help him at all.

Spot on this.

Yeah, the set piece thing baffles and infuriates me - it's as though they simply don't work on it

But as far as the style of play goes, I disagree that we haven't moved roughly in the right direction (in terms of intent if not results) since the start of last season. There was a clear effort to be more expansive towards the end of the season, and there has been a clear effort to do the same in the last few games. I really don't think at any point Pardew decided to ditch that intention and i'm 95% confident we'll see him stick to it, by and large, over the next season or so.

What happened between the end of last season and the last few games?  Pardew should have been signing on this morning after going into the ground to pick up his personal effects.

made things simple in the sense that we had shit, heartless players who were past it and the writing was on the wall and had been for some time. Contrast that to the current setup where we have a decent crop of professional and talented players but as a club have knackered a clear opportunity to push on. I didnt expect top five again but we had a real plarform for success and it makes it more frustrating than the relegatiom season imo.

made things simple the sense that i knew we were shit with older and past it mercenary players

made things simple in the sense that we had s***, heartless players who were past it and the writing was on the wall and had been for some time. Contrast that to the current setup where we have a decent crop of professional and talented players but as a club have knackered a clear opportunity to push on. I didnt expect top five again but we had a real plarform for success and it makes it more frustrating than the relegatiom season imo.

made things simple the sense that i knew we were s*** with older and past it mercenary players

Basically this.

Watching these players lose 10 out of 12 games is causing even more frustration. I expected Smith, Owen and fucking Damien Duff to relegate us at some point. They had never done well for us.

But this team? They've shown that they can beat any side when used correctly and given the right to play.

The main reason for our drop in form was our unbelievably shit football during the first half of this season. The defeats were always coming, can't believe how lucky we were against Everton, WBA and Reading. Should have lost all three tbh. Thank god we didn't. Anyway, that's where it comes down to the manager. He had the same set of players + Anita. Yet made the decision to play the most negative tactics in the league, presumably to feed the best player in the squad. A system that didn't work for the team.

Now is his chance to put things right. Like Dave said the other day, I look forward to liking Pardew again. For all his rights last season, and the season before that, this period has taken away all of my appreciation for him. His behaved cowardly and looked as if he was exposed to one of those lightning-things from Men in Black during the summer.

The 4-3-3 thing is pissing me off.  We stumbled upon a really good formula last season in Ba -- Cisse -- HBA and yet I can't remember us trying it once this season.  When he has gone with that formation it's been some fucked up version with HBA on the left or Cisse wide right.

Questions posed on true faith weekly blog re Pardew and the coaching staff. Most raised on here and all spot on:

Why are we so desperate with corners and set plays?

Why haven’t we won a single away game this season?

Why are we unable to come back from going a goal behind?

Why have we abandoned the passing football of last season to become the PL’s Route One, hoof ball merchants? This isn’t Newcastle United. We play on the floor.

Why are so many players regressing at once?

Case for the prosecution: Chieck Tiote. He looks a shadow of the player we had last season and a pale imitation of the player who dominated the Man Utd midfield 12 months ago. Why is his discipline getting worse instead of better? Why is he constantly caught in possession and why is his passing so reckless? Is this a player we seriously think has a player with a value of£20m? Currently he looks like a bad Lee Cattermole.

Why has Jonas Guttierez just looked lost in so many games?

Why has Cisse been played wide right when the formation of the team last season was so potent with Papiss through the middle?

How is Nile Ranger anywhere near the first team given the disgrace he has brought to the club and the fact his talent simply just does not merit such indulgence?

The 4-3-3 thing is pissing me off.  We stumbled upon a really good formula last season in Ba -- Cisse -- HBA and yet I can't remember us trying it once this season.  When he has gone with that formation it's been some fucked up version with HBA on the left or Cisse wide right.

Pretty annoying to think about how good that was, especially now that Ba is gone. I almost forget HBA plays for us too, it seems like he has been out for ages.

Questions posed on true faith weekly blog re Pardew and the coaching staff. Most raised on here and all spot on:

Why are we so desperate with corners and set plays?

Why haven’t we won a single away game this season?

Why are we unable to come back from going a goal behind?

Why have we abandoned the passing football of last season to become the PL’s Route One, hoof ball merchants? This isn’t Newcastle United. We play on the floor.

Why are so many players regressing at once?

Case for the prosecution: Chieck Tiote. He looks a shadow of the player we had last season and a pale imitation of the player who dominated the Man Utd midfield 12 months ago. Why is his discipline getting worse instead of better? Why is he constantly caught in possession and why is his passing so reckless? Is this a player we seriously think has a player with a value of£20m? Currently he looks like a bad Lee Cattermole.

Why has Jonas Guttierez just looked lost in so many games?

Why has Cisse been played wide right when the formation of the team last season was so potent with Papiss through the middle?

How is Nile Ranger anywhere near the first team given the disgrace he has brought to the club and the fact his talent simply just does not merit such indulgence?

Excellent post.

The set piece failures is probably the most idiotic thing of all.

It's been going on for so fucking long as well.

There's just not enough training hours in the day for Alan to cover all these things, come on man we've been over this!

The set piece failures is probably the most idiotic thing of all.

It's been going on for so fucking long as well.

There's just not enough training hours in the day for Alan to cover all these things, come on man we've been over this!

Loved the fact that at the start of the season he said we'd cracked it. Our corners would be unstoppable!* :lol:

*not an exact quote, but not far off.

Anita and Marveaux take a better corner than Cabaye, which is hardly saying anything. But just look at every corner and free kick Everton had around the box last week. Every one was right in the danger area. We dealt with them OK to be fair, but what I'd give for us to have someone who can deliver a ball like Baines.

The set piece thing genuinely keeps me awake. Its the definition of madness, repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Definition of insanity?  Have you played Far Cry 3 over Christmas by any chance? :lol:

The set pieces are horrendous.  What happened to our set piece coach and extra time to work on them?  Didn't he say before the Stoke game we were going to vary them a lot more.....

On the set piece thing, I somehow managed to get into a row with some lad at Arsenal about it.  Passing comment to my mate about the back post/front post dink, that never leads to anything.  It was right on the halfway line and out wide.  Colo dinked it to the back post area, straight to one of their players, they countered and nearly scored.  I said again to my mate I was sick to death of watching our clueless set pieces. 

Some bloke in front pipes up, that the Williamson set piece is only front post, there was nothing else Colo could have done with the free kick and to get off the manager's back.  I suggested not kicking the ball straight to the opposition and actually varying what we do at set plays, like maybe once in a while playing it short, quick or whipping it in for a change might help.  Seeing as we never score from them, something has to be up?

He told me I know nothing about football and he hated my cockney accent (I'm not a cockney) :lol:

Anita and Marveaux take a better corner than Cabaye, which is hardly saying anything. But just look at every corner and free kick Everton had around the box last week. Every one was right in the danger area. We dealt with them OK to be fair, but what I'd give for us to have someone who can deliver a ball like Baines.

We dealt with them quite well for a change.  But you got the feeling that every corner and set piece was going to result in a goal.  When we get a corner you think first man and a free kick you know it's a foul from Williamson or straight off for a goal kick.

Depressing.

Alan Pardew has almost 0 say in our signings. If he wants a player and he's relatively cheap and young we'll go for him. That's Obertan and possibly Demba. the rest? HBA, Cabaye, Anita, Cisse, Marveaux et al. NO CHOICE.

:lol:

Wait? Is this a complaint?

If he knew he could only work with players hand picked by himself, then he shouldn't have taken the job tbh.

The one thing we are definitely getting right at the inute is the calibre of players we're recruiting. We could do with getting a few more in, and in a timely manner, but we have some damn good players.

Pardew should bow out if he doesn't know what to do with them, and is instead pining for his Jason Puncheons, Danny Grahams and Adam Llalanas.

I think a lot of managers who could have been good or even great fall through the cracks because they aren't given enough time.

Very few of the "great" managers of our time go to a club and produce instant results. Most of them had an experience where someone took chance on them through tough times and they had the opportunity to really put their stamp on a club as a long term project. This sort of experience allowed them to achieve their full potential as managers.

I think a big part of becoming a good manager is experience rather than natural ability, and you're obviously deprived of much of the experience you need to improve your managing when you're just sacked a the first sign of weakness and bouncing from failure to failure, eventually washing out of the game.

Not necessary saying that Pardew is one of these people, but it is true in principle.

I think statements like this are utterly pointless.

It's not. We'd all love Moyes here now but look at his earlier time at Everton

2001-02: 15th

2002-03: 7th

2003-04: 17th

2004-05: 4th (Qualification for UEFA Champions League)

2005-06: 11th

We'd have sacked him after finishing 7th, then 17th, guaranteed. And maybe after finishing 11th after finishing 4th. Sticking with managers is great. As a club and supporters, we are impatient. This is down to years of under-performing or coming close but never winning trophies. We've never allowed a manager to take a step-backwards to take 2 forward. 1 step back and they're gone and everyone is glad they've gone. Bobby went 11th, 11th, 4th, 3rd & 5th, had we let him go at the end of the 5th finishing season 90% of the people on here would've happily let him go. It's in the nature of our club to act with haste unfortunately. This is not helped by the fact our best manager's in 25 years left after only 1 "poor" season. We need a mentality change if we are to become successful and stick with a manager.

Saying all of that, I don't think Pardew is the guy to trust. I'd take some yoyo (in the PL) with a youngish fresh manager or a inexperienced coach turned-manager or at least a manager with an admirable philosophy. I think Pardew's a bit too far along in his managerial career to make the necessary changes. Moyes has had 14 years straight with 2 clubs to build his philosophy. Pardew's had a similar amount of time as a manager but always chopped and changed, preventing him to build a proper identity bigger than "don't get sacked".

I think a lot of managers who could have been good or even great fall through the cracks because they aren't given enough time.

Very few of the "great" managers of our time go to a club and produce instant results. Most of them had an experience where someone took chance on them through tough times and they had the opportunity to really put their stamp on a club as a long term project. This sort of experience allowed them to achieve their full potential as managers.

I think a big part of becoming a good manager is experience rather than natural ability, and you're obviously deprived of much of the experience you need to improve your managing when you're just sacked a the first sign of weakness and bouncing from failure to failure, eventually washing out of the game.

Not necessary saying that Pardew is one of these people, but it is true in principle.

I think statements like this are utterly pointless.

It's not. We'd all love Moyes here now but look at his earlier time at Everton

2001-02: 15th

2002-03: 7th

2003-04: 17th

2004-05: 4th (Qualification for UEFA Champions League)

2005-06: 11th

We'd have sacked him after finishing 7th, then 17th, guaranteed. And maybe after finishing 11th after finishing 4th. Sticking with managers is great. As a club and supporters, we are impatient. This is down to years of under-performing or coming close but never winning trophies. We've never allowed a manager to take a step-backwards to take 2 forward. 1 step back and they're gone and everyone is glad they've gone. Bobby went 11th, 11th, 4th, 3rd & 5th, had we let him go at the end of the 5th finishing season 90% of the people on here would've happily let him go. It's in the nature of our club to act with haste unfortunately. This is not helped by the fact our best manager's in 25 years left after only 1 "poor" season. We need a mentality change if we are to become successful and stick with a manager.

Saying all of that, I don't think Pardew is the guy to trust. I'd take some yoyo (in the PL) with a youngish fresh manager or a inexperienced coach turned-manager or at least a manager with an admirable philosophy. I think Pardew's a bit too far along in his managerial career to make the necessary changes. Moyes has had 14 years straight with 2 clubs to build his philosophy. Pardew's had a similar amount of time as a manager but always chopped and changed, preventing him to build a proper identity bigger than "don't get sacked".

Good post.

Alan Pardew has almost 0 say in our signings. If he wants a player and he's relatively cheap and young we'll go for him. That's Obertan and possibly Demba. the rest? HBA, Cabaye, Anita, Cisse, Marveaux et al. NO CHOICE.

:lol:

Wait? Is this a complaint?

If he knew he could only work with players hand picked by himself, then he shouldn't have taken the job tbh.

The one thing we are definitely getting right at the inute is the calibre of players we're recruiting. We could do with getting a few more in, and in a timely manner, but we have some damn good players.

Pardew should bow out if he doesn't know what to do with them, and is instead pining for his Jason Puncheons, Danny Grahams and Adam Llalanas.

No it's not a complaint. I do think we need a proper DoF though. Atm it's just Ashley & Lambias signing the players they can afford that are highly recommended by Carr it seems. I don't think they really consider the needs of the team when we sign players which has led to an unbalanced squad. A DoF woudl bring some continuity even if we change managers as the same type of players would be signed.