Alan Pardew

Dave

Alan Pardew has almost 0 say in our signings. If he wants a player and he's relatively cheap and young we'll go for him. That's Obertan and possibly Demba. the rest? HBA, Cabaye, Anita, Cisse, Marveaux et al. NO CHOICE.

:lol:

Wait? Is this a complaint?

If he knew he could only work with players hand picked by himself, then he shouldn't have taken the job tbh.

The one thing we are definitely getting right at the inute is the calibre of players we're recruiting. We could do with getting a few more in, and in a timely manner, but we have some damn good players.

Pardew should bow out if he doesn't know what to do with them, and is instead pining for his Jason Puncheons, Danny Grahams and Adam Llalanas.

No it's not a complaint. I do think we need a proper DoF though. Atm it's just Ashley & Lambias signing the players they can afford that are highly recommended by Carr it seems. I don't think they really consider the needs of the team when we sign players which has led to an unbalanced squad. A DoF woudl bring some continuity even if we change managers as the same type of players would be signed.

I'm pretty sure they said, the manager let's them know what areas need strengthening then Carr and his team provide a list of players in that position, which they now discuss with the manager to determine the best options.

They could be lying of course. I mean, who knows.

The thing is though with the team we currently have, and have had at all points this season, eveen with the injuries, Pardew has consistentyl lined them up horribly.

Therefore, even if players are signed randomly, he's still had enough to work with, but he plays wrong formations, or people in wrong positions.

Guest Geordiesned

Any reason Pardew doesn't get loan signings in since he can't incorporate the youngsters into the first-team?

im guessing fatman cant make a profit off them.

Said they (Llambias I think) weren't interested in loans anymore after the Stephen Ireland shambles.

The board have said in the past they don't see the value of loan signings.  I guess they see it in the same terms of whether it is better to rent or buy a property.

Both are better than being homeless, of course.

Guest neesy111

I think a lot of managers who could have been good or even great fall through the cracks because they aren't given enough time.

Very few of the "great" managers of our time go to a club and produce instant results. Most of them had an experience where someone took chance on them through tough times and they had the opportunity to really put their stamp on a club as a long term project. This sort of experience allowed them to achieve their full potential as managers.

I think a big part of becoming a good manager is experience rather than natural ability, and you're obviously deprived of much of the experience you need to improve your managing when you're just sacked a the first sign of weakness and bouncing from failure to failure, eventually washing out of the game.

Not necessary saying that Pardew is one of these people, but it is true in principle.

I think statements like this are utterly pointless.

It's not. We'd all love Moyes here now but look at his earlier time at Everton

2001-02: 15th

2002-03: 7th

2003-04: 17th

2004-05: 4th (Qualification for UEFA Champions League)

2005-06: 11th

We'd have sacked him after finishing 7th, then 17th, guaranteed. And maybe after finishing 11th after finishing 4th. Sticking with managers is great. As a club and supporters, we are impatient. This is down to years of under-performing or coming close but never winning trophies. We've never allowed a manager to take a step-backwards to take 2 forward. 1 step back and they're gone and everyone is glad they've gone. Bobby went 11th, 11th, 4th, 3rd & 5th, had we let him go at the end of the 5th finishing season 90% of the people on here would've happily let him go. It's in the nature of our club to act with haste unfortunately. This is not helped by the fact our best manager's in 25 years left after only 1 "poor" season. We need a mentality change if we are to become successful and stick with a manager.

Saying all of that, I don't think Pardew is the guy to trust. I'd take some yoyo (in the PL) with a youngish fresh manager or a inexperienced coach turned-manager or at least a manager with an admirable philosophy. I think Pardew's a bit too far along in his managerial career to make the necessary changes. Moyes has had 14 years straight with 2 clubs to build his philosophy. Pardew's had a similar amount of time as a manager but always chopped and changed, preventing him to build a proper identity bigger than "don't get sacked".

You're correct with most of that, but Pardew has a track record of not turning things around once a slump gets started.  Charlton being the best example of that.

Guest neesy111

Tbf to Pardew on Charlton they were practically down when he took the job :lol:

It was the slump after that as well.  Left them bottom of the championship.

Splitting hairs here, but I don't think they were bottom.

How many of the players left after they got relegated out of interest?  Looks like they lost some pretty key players from a quick wiki search.

Guest tollemache

The point about Moyes is a great one and I've said on here before I think we're in for yo-yoing up and down the league for a few years, but that it will probably be worth it. And that the overall trend if we have stability and maintain our current transfer policy will be an upwards one.

If I believed Pardew had anywhere near Moyes' ability, I'd be more patient with him.

Did you know at the time that Moyes was as good as he has proved to be or are you talking with the benefit of hindsight?  I don't think many, if any, picked Moyes out to be a potential star during the lean years.