Alan Pardew

Dave

I'm still astounded at the sheer vision and bravura of Swansea to just go and get Laudrup. Amazing.

Yup. See the sad thing is the majority of owners really aren't all that different from the majority of fans in how narrow minded they can be as far as hiring a manager goes.

The first reaction when you suggest a change in manager on here is usually, the typical 'who can we get that's better?', which always baffles me. It always seemingly has to be someone everyone has heard about that is a proven success already.

I gurantee if people had suggetsed Laudrup, had he not already gone to Swansea, he would likely have been rubbished by most, as having not proven anything anywhere.

The priority though should really be to look at the manager's approach and philosophy, and the potential to marry this up with the clubs current assets etc.

Although I can't necessarily name them all, I have no doubt there's at least a handful of managers that can come in and make far better use of the players we have, and implement a style of football that is bettersuited to them, than Pardew ever could.

It's been quite unacceptable from Pardew really.

and another good post.

Fervently hope that if we finish this season in anything like decent form, Pardew will not be sacked.

I'd be quietly embarrassed on behalf of the club - again - if he was.

If we finish the season in decent form I don't think many will be calling for him to be sacked tbf. I think there's a small group that dislike him regardless, but nowhere near the majority.

What has he ever done in his past career that gives people confidence that he is going to be a top manager with the same club over a period of more than 2 years ?

Why does anyone think it is going to be different here..?

Just as well Ipswich gave Robson a chance after his previous track record was to get Fulham relegated and then gave him time after a few rubbish seasons.

Managers can improve.  Pardew may not, but it is possible that he might come back a better manager for it.

Have you looked at Robson's career record ? He was 35 when he became manager at Fulham and 36 when he joined Ipswich.....by the time he was Pardew's age he had achieved far more than being fired from 4 clubs - if Pardew hasn't achieved anything as a manager now, he isn't going to, or at least, the odds against it are very high.

Look at Ferguson's record as a manager by the time he reached Pardew's age - do you think Man U would have appointed Pardew as their manager when he was the same age as Ferguson ??

There are plenty of managers I could quote who have made it by the time they are Pardew's age - he is at NUFC because he is cheap to employ and suits the board because of it.

Any manager worth their salt wants a degree of control over signings and club policy - Ashley and Llambias are never going to allow that.

My point was that the same could have been said of Robson at a particular point of his career, but obviously he went on to be a great manager.  I dare say that if Ipswich had decided that finishing 19th in Robson's second season wasn't acceptable and sacked him, his managerial career might have been a very very different one. 

I am not suggesting that Pardew will be anywhere near as good as Robson, but maybe Pardew does need to be given another season  in charge of a club to see if he can reverse the current trend.  Writing him off as someone who can't produce beyond 1-2 seasons is lazy and ignores all context.

I am sure there are plenty of managers you can mention who have 'made it' by 51 - I am sure there are a damn sight more managers you could list who haven't.  Are you suggesting that we should only appoint managers who have now 'made it'?  Perhaps we should give Jose a ring if that is now the criteria.

Can you give me ONE good reason - apart from the people running the club - that NUFC should be happy with a manager who is an 'also-ran' or one who gets the side playing unattractive - and losing - football..esp with some of the players the club has ?

Also, choosing to ignore Pardew's CV is just as 'lazy' as writing him off...in what other context apart from the situation we now find ourselves - is anyone supposed to judge him...after we have been relegated, perhaps..?

I think a lot of managers who could have been good or even great fall through the cracks because they aren't given enough time.

Very few of the "great" managers of our time go to a club and produce instant results. Most of them had a period where someone took chance on them through tough times and they had the opportunity to really put their stamp on a club as a long term project. This sort of experience allowed them to achieve their full potential as managers.

I think a big part of becoming a good manager is experience rather than natural ability, and you're obviously deprived of much of the experience you need to improve your managing when you're just sacked a the first sign of weakness and bouncing from failure to failure, eventually washing out of the game.

Not necessary saying that Pardew is one of these people, but it is true in principle.

I think a lot of managers who could have been good or even great fall through the cracks because they aren't given enough time.

Very few of the "great" managers of our time go to a club and produce instant results. Most of them had an experience where someone took chance on them through tough times and they had the opportunity to really put their stamp on a club as a long term project. This sort of experience allowed them to achieve their full potential as managers.

I think a big part of becoming a good manager is experience rather than natural ability, and you're obviously deprived of much of the experience you need to improve your managing when you're just sacked a the first sign of weakness and bouncing from failure to failure, eventually washing out of the game.

Not necessary saying that Pardew is one of these people, but it is true in principle.

I think statements like this are utterly pointless.

Very few of the "great" managers of our time go to a club and produce instant results. Most of them had an experience where someone took chance on them through tough times and they had the opportunity to really put their stamp on a club as a long term project. This sort of experience allowed them to achieve their full potential as managers.

Well, that's my dose of unnecessary hostility sorted :lol:

It comes to us all.

It might have been supreme irony to be fair.

Guest neesy111

If I didn't fear relegation then I wouldn't be calling for his head during the season (end of season is a different matter), but I don't see much hope at the moment of us turning things around because as a team we don't look right.  Yes players will be coming back which individually they will help but defensively as a team for the last 2 months has been horrific and that needs sorting ASAP.

It comes to us all.

Say that to my face and not on-line and see what happens.

Guest neesy111

It comes to us all.

:facepalm:

It comes to us all.

:lol: get in

I'm still astounded at the sheer vision and bravura of Swansea to just go and get Laudrup. Amazing.

Yup. See the sad thing is the majority of owners really aren't all that different from the majority of fans in how narrow minded they can be as far as hiring a manager goes.

The first reaction when you suggest a change in manager on here is usually, the typical 'who can we get that's better?', which always baffles me. It always seemingly has to be someone everyone has heard about that is a proven success already.

I gurantee if people had suggetsed Laudrup, had he not already gone to Swansea, he would likely have been rubbished by most, as having not proven anything anywhere.

The priority though should really be to look at the manager's approach and philosophy, and the potential to marry this up with the clubs current assets etc.

Although I can't necessarily name them all, I have no doubt there's at least a handful of managers that can come in and make far better use of the players we have, and implement a style of football that is bettersuited to them, than Pardew ever could.

It's been quite unacceptable from Pardew really.

and another good post.

As if Ashley would have the nouse and ambition to go for a cultured, un-proven and exciting young manager.

I'm concerned about the idea of sacking Pardew because we'll replace him with some no-mark freebie from Britain. Just like every single one of Ashley's managerial appointments (including Keegan, who'd been out of the game for yonks).

It comes to us all.

:lol: Supreme irony it is then.

It comes to us all.

:lol: Supreme irony it is then.

Hopefully, genius if so!

It's going to have to be some pendulum swing paradigm shift if he's going to change his frankly idiotic ways for the better. I'd love to say I'll give him to end of the season but I haven't been this wound up about the club in a while. At least when we were relegated we were on a pretty predictable trajectory in the years before.