Alan Pardew

Dave

could somebody reasonably explain the managements penchant to sit back on a lead regardless of the opposition, an over arcing tactic we,ve seen employed this entire season  :hmm:

I think he's almost interpreting what he's watching in a series of cliches. He hasn't got that sharp perception that seperates the men from the boys. Makes him indecisice too.

I try to look at this situation in the most reasonable fashion I can, but I genuinely can not see who anyone can defend Pardew.  We have played well against Sunderland/Wigan this season. That's it. This is a man who insists on playing Ameobi as a f***ing winger. There is no defence for that. 6 wins out of the last 26. Dreadful football to watch, throwing away leads to Reading.

There is zero sign of him turning this around. If people want to get relegated rather than make kneejerk decisions then thats fine, but i genuinely can not see any defence for Pardew. He's taken us into freefall and he has not clue how to turn it around. We go down this time, we are f***ed. Simple as that. He needs to go now.

I was more of a sit on the fence and wait and see what happens and Oldtype summed up why Pardew has been unlucky but that was just an abomination in the second half on saturday. I was thinking to myself he's not going to do the same as he did against Norwich is he? (defend a 1-0 lead) And that carry on with Ameobi on the wing, ffs. I think he's been found out to a certain extent but the pressure which he's helped bring on himself is making him behave even more bizarrely.  :undecided:

Everyone on here saying Pardew should go, who would you like to replace him. Not many candidates out there for me (certainly not many who would be willing to work within the constraints of Ashleys regime)

I'm not so sure about that last bit now to be honest.  I used to think it would be a problem but our scouting network and player recruitment policy has been applauded and highlighted in the media. It's a well known fact that we have one of the best scouts in the game and that we have built a very good first team from relatively little spend.  That has to be attractive to managers, surely?

Is it more important to a manager to have players who have been rigorously scouted and vetted for compatibility with the existing system and first team players, or to have total control over incoming transfers and players that they themselves have selected?

Hughes would almost certainly be the latter but i'm sure that the same can be said of all managers.

I realise that there is a bit more to it than that - the Keegan debacle and Hughton's sacking certainly did nothing to enhance the Director's reputations but I still think we're an attractive club for a lot of managers.

Ashley won't get rid of him but in that case he needs to give him every chance to keep this side up by backing him. That means a new CB and striker/attacking player at the very least. It was scandalous that despite his negativity on sat the player he brought on as an attacking option was Obertan ffs

I try to look at this situation in the most reasonable fashion I can, but I genuinely can not see who anyone can defend Pardew.  We have played well against Sunderland/Wigan this season. That's it. This is a man who insists on playing Ameobi as a f***ing winger. There is no defence for that. 6 wins out of the last 26. Dreadful football to watch, throwing away leads to Reading.

There is zero sign of him turning this around. If people want to get relegated rather than make kneejerk decisions then thats fine, but i genuinely can not see any defence for Pardew. He's taken us into freefall and he has not clue how to turn it around. We go down this time, we are f***ed. Simple as that. He needs to go now.

I'm slowly moving towards the Pardew out camp myself, but to say the football has been dreadful these last couple of weeks is false in my humble opinion. The defending has been dreadful, and the results certainly have, but we've also played some quite decent football recently. The first half vs Reading for example wasn't bad at all. Actually, I think the football itself in recent times hasn't been worse than large periods of last season.

Everyone on here saying Pardew should go, who would you like to replace him. Not many candidates out there for me (certainly not many who would be willing to work within the constraints of Ashleys regime)

A thread discussing this would be really useful.

Guest neesy111

:rolleyes:

Guest tollemache

Agree. Thought we were very good for a large chunk of the game and had Cisse had his shooting boots on we'd have been out of sight. The question for me is the Marveaux-for-Perch sub and the manner in which we surrendered control of the game, even though it was inevitable that they'd grow in confidence the longer we failed to put them away.

edit: @ Unbelievable!

I'm not so sure about that last bit now to be honest.  I used to think it would be a problem but our scouting network and player recruitment policy has been applauded and highlighted in the media. It's a well known fact that we have one of the best scouts in the game and that we have built a very good first team from relatively little spend.  That has to be attractive to managers, surely?

Is it more important to a manager to have players who have been rigorously scouted and vetted for compatibility with the existing system and first team players, or to have total control over incoming transfers and players that they themselves have selected?

Hughes would almost certainly be the latter but i'm sure that the same can be said of all managers.

I realise that there is a bit more to it than that - the Keegan debacle and Hughton's sacking certainly did nothing to enhance the Director's reputations but I still think we're an attractive club for a lot of managers.

Remains to be seen imho

I agree that player scouting has been one of our strong suits but it seems this has not gone unnoticed in other quarters (Loftus road especially) so we may find ourselves out bid a little more going forward.

It just seems to me that the only managers i can remember us having any success under have had an understanding of the club and the City (sic) and i can't think of anyone out there at the moment who would have that.

All academic as cant see him being sacked. Hope he retains the backing of the majority as turning on him would be counter productive.

We were very good in the first half for sure. The subs shot us in the foot, combined with the arrival of Le Fondre and Reading's belief they could come back after last week.

Can sort of understand the Cabaye one, but the Marveaux one is a bit of a mystery.

Sorry mate didn't see the thread only scan reading while i'm at work.

Saying that if Cisse had scored, we'd have been out of sight is operating on the premise that we would have kept attacking after the first goal, whenever that was and I don't think that's the case because it's never the case.

If Cisse had scored after five minutes, the aim would have changed to defend that for eighty five.

Guest tollemache

The Cabaye one doesn't even warrant discussion. He's injured, wants to come off, so you take him off. The fact that there was any booing whatsoever, from anyone, at that point beggars belief. It was very, very blatantly a fitness issue. Reminds me of when we had people complaining on here about Ben Arfa coming off against Fulham, like there was any chance whatsoever it was a tactical change.

The Marveaux sub on the other hand was genuinely weird.

We were very good in the first half for sure. The subs shot us in the foot, combined with the arrival of Le Fondre and Reading's belief they could come back after last week.

Can sort of understand the Cabaye one, but the Marveaux one is a bit of a mystery.

As well as their keeper did I still think Cisse should've buried atleast one in the first half. It's clear the lack of goal scoring options we have aside from Cisse and moments of brilliance from Cabaye. That left side was weak as p*ss on saturday and is made even more disappointing given that we;ve just got a decent attacking right back in who looks like he'll create stuff. What the hell has happened to Jonas?

Guest neesy111

Saying that if Cisse had scored, we'd have been out of sight is operating on the premise that we would have kept attacking after the first goal, whenever that was and I don't think that's the case because it's never the case.

If Cisse had scored after five minutes, the aim would have changed to defend that for eighty five.

:thup:

We created just about nothing after the goal in the 1st half, most of the chances came before that.

Guest tollemache

There's a limit to how much speculating you can do... For the record I don't think we'd have changed the game plan on 5 minutes.

We started to go more 'direct' after about 60 mins. No idea why as it just gave them the ball. Then the Marveaux sub just said to them that we're not attacking anymore. Was ridiculous. As was leaving Shola on (compounding the mistake of starting him).

Guest bimpy474

Reading the Chronicle story this morning, everything they say has no reference to his poor tactics and team selections. It's like he wrote the story himself.

Guest tollemache

We started to go more 'direct' after about 60 mins. No idea why as it just gave them the ball.

Was it not just that our passing game wasn't as fluent without Cabaye running it?

The Cabaye one doesn't even warrant discussion. He's injured, wants to come off, so you take him off. The fact that there was any booing whatsoever, from anyone, at that point beggars belief. It was very, very blatantly a fitness issue. Reminds me of when we had people complaining on here about Ben Arfa coming off against Fulham, like there was any chance whatsoever it was a tactical change.

I guess if the Cabaye one was unexpected, rather than a planned withdrawal, then the Marveaux one is a bit unlucky. If Cabaye had lasted we might not be having this discussion.

If the Cabaye sub was just because he's generally not up to speed, then the Marv one is crazy.

What you have to consider is that taking Cabaye off just highlighted even further how ridiculous the Marveaux decision was because Marv had already been taken off. It just incensed the crowd even further. He can't have any complaints with the derision that greeted his decisions and tactics on saturday given how patient fans have been this season. He 100% bottled that match and shot himself in the foot. Car crashi decision making

We started to go more 'direct' after about 60 mins. No idea why as it just gave them the ball.

Was it not just that our passing game wasn't as fluent without Cabaye running it?

I don't think there was any decision to go direct, Reading just put us under more pressure and our best passing players had gone off.

We started to go more 'direct' after about 60 mins. No idea why as it just gave them the ball. Then the Marveaux sub just said to them that we're not attacking anymore. Was ridiculous. As was leaving Shola on (compounding the mistake of starting him).

Before the Marveaux sub we started punting it over his head a little too often. To no effect whatsoever.