Alan Pardew

Dave

btw, can someone give me just 1 fair reason for playing cisse on the wing?

he could have played him next to shola....or better (if not on top) saved him tonight and kept him fresh for southampton. imo he is more or less our most important player for the rest of the season.

Of course, Demba is in such a, no I can't use that one.  Right, we had practised all week thinking we were going to play Demba and, no I can't use that one either.

Sorry, I can't help, you'll have to ask somebody else.

Guest palnese

I honestly don't see why we can't keep playing football and keep the opposition back when we take the lead.

There's something very wrong with his approach to the game.

I honestly don't see why we can't keep playing football and keep the opposition back when we take the lead.

Or maybe it's because the game/opposition changes when one team takes the lead, like it does on every football pitch in the world? Just a thought..

Under normal circumstances I'd agree 100% but I can understand the sitting back tonight. That away goal was massive and it was natural that the players and management wanted to put men behind the ball and see the game out.

Under normal circumstances I'd agree 100% but I can understand the sitting back tonight. That away goal was massive and it was natural that the players and management wanted to put men behind the ball and see the game out.

If they had scored we'd have been shagged though because we had nothing to offer up front once we made the changes and backed off.  It worked for us tonight and that's all that really matters but I do think it will bite us in the arse again sooner or later.

If they had scored we'd have been shagged though because we had nothing to offer up front once we made the changes and backed off.  It worked for us tonight and that's all that really matters but I do think it will bite us in the arse again sooner or later.

Absolutely. I don't like seeing it but I can understand why we dropped back tonight.

I'd prefer us to go for the second but can't criticise too much for doing it tonight.

Absolutely. I don't like seeing it but I can understand why we dropped back tonight.

I'd prefer us to go for the second but can't criticise too much for doing it tonight.

We've played plenty of games where I'd wished we had shut up shop so being able to do it is a good tool to have in your locker.

Or maybe it's because the game/opposition changes when one team takes the lead, like it does on every football pitch in the world? Just a thought..

It would be nice if Krul didn't have to put in a MOTM performance every time we take the lead though. It happened quite a lot last year, and again tonight. At least stick some pace on the pitch if you're going to invite teams onto you, anyway.

We've played plenty of games where I'd wished we had shut up shop so being able to do it is a good tool to have in your locker.

I have no problem with us playing 'shut up shop'. I think it's an important ability for a team that hopes to be successful, but there's a way to go about it.

I'd have no problem whatsoever with Pardew settling for the 1-0 after Shola scored given the circumstances, it's just the methodology I take issue with. As Hanz says, the methodology ought not to involve Krul demonstrating he's world class ;)

Starting Shola turned out to be a good decision. Cisse wide? Poor. It never makes sense. Rather Jonas/Obertan and we saved Cisse as an impact sub if needed to change things.

Biggest problem, sitting far too deep when we take a lead. Some pressure is to be expected, a couple good saves but Milan weren't so deep yesterday. They had 5-6 good chances in a 20 minute spell.

It's not fucking good enough.

You can't consistently win European KO matches like that. You look at our runs under SBR, heck even Souness. These are men that have been in European competitions and won them. As managers or players. Has Alan Pardew ever had a successful European cup run?

Some managers have it. Like SAF, Mourinho straight away. Others learn in time so there's hope. But atm, he doesn't know what he's doing.

Much in the same way our team outgrew the likes of Nolan and Simpson, or even to a lesser extent Gosling and the style of players we had when he signed compared to now our squad has definitely outgrew Pardew.

:thup:

Think this is his last season here, the board will surely either see what we're seeing or will eventually. I think they just don't want to upset the squad halfway through the season when were struggling to stay in the league.

Unless he goes on a massively impressive run, he's got to go.

:lol:

I'm apparently as big an Ashley apologist as they come, but I cannot see for the life of me why they would replace Pardiola. Care to expand where your assurances come from?

Personally think he got lucky again tonight. We could have thrown away a certain victory had Krul not been between the sticks. It was a relief having Shola on the pitch when the ball was on the spot, however it came at the expense of another stinker from Cisse on the wing.

It's a good win though and Southampton is an absolutely colossal game. As irritating as the second half negativity was, that'sthree wins, one draw and a defeat since the January influx... you can't really argue with that.

Why is Southampton now colossal?  :fool:

Personally think he got lucky again tonight. We could have thrown away a certain victory had Krul not been between the sticks. It was a relief having Shola on the pitch when the ball was on the spot, however it came at the expense of another stinker from Cisse on the wing.

It's a good win though and Southampton is an absolutely colossal game. As irritating as the second half negativity was, that'sthree wins, one draw and a defeat since the January influx... you can't really argue with that.

It's practically a friendly.

http://t.qkme.me/3t3a1y.jpg

Guest bimpy474

Has Pardew ever been in Europe before?  :undecided:

Yep, knocked out by Palermo when he was manager of Wham, the same Palermo season Krully made his debut.

I think.

I did not see this game so will not comment on Pardew's tactics or selections - my views about these in the past are already known.

Suffice be it to say that in this instance we got the result necessary - against better opponents it may not, only time will tell.

I am more concerned about the Southampton game - and those after it......

[insert generic img]

Haddawayandshite, man.

Says Shola will "get games" between now and the end of the season is his post-match interview, but also a hint of disappointment with his performances lately.

I think he sounded "serious", if that's the way to put it. Admitted Papiss is playing out of position, which I regard as something good. Don't want him as an option out there. He contributes fuck all.

Pardew on a whole could be a decent cup manager if he decides to add "counter-attacking when in front" to his gameplan. Last night I was desperate for us to get someone like Obertan on to threaten them. Instead, he formed a third defensive block consisting of Shola, Moussa and Marveaux. Retarded as we couldn't get out of our own half.