Alan Pardew

Dave

Missing key players in defence cost us this match. That and bad organization during corners.

Sitting back and letting Man U have 70% possession until they went 2-0 didn't help either. Before you say it was bad organisation for the corners, you might want to reflect they could have scored another 4 in that time. It was a tactical shambles and there's no getting away from it.

We lost that game before the first whistle was blown. Stood 40 yards off them and let them play their way into the game. Completely the wrong attitude.

If we are to be anything other than top 10 contenders the squad needs serious investment.

That, and some questionable tactics, is what is costing us this season. We have very little depth.

Perch and Williamson as Centre Backs? I mean, for fucks sake, seriously?

Last year we were battling with Spurs for 4th and they've got Caulker, Dawson, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Gallas and they've just lost Ledley King, Bassong, Corluka and Nelson.

We've got Colo, Saylor and the two from today. No comparison.

If he goes 4-4-2 at Sunderland and that happens again, like it probably would with that formation, then people will start to get restless. It isn't rocket science playing to your strengths.

Tactics are crap, like. No defending them at all. Like the bloke a lot and we're very lucky to have a manager of his quality under that cunt of an owner but we're lucky we've got more than 6 points from 7 games this season and a lot of that is down to him.

Think we should go back to last season's tactic of Ba on the left and Cissé central. If Ba doesn't like it then that's not really the attitude we should be looking for at the club.

Tactics are crap, like. No defending them at all. Like the bloke a lot and we're very lucky to have a manager of his quality under that cunt of an owner but we're lucky we've got more than 6 points from 7 games this season and a lot of that is down to him.

Couldn't agree more.

Wullie hit the nail on the head when he said our transfer policy lends itself to having an imbalanced squad and players who don't necessarily fit a system together. All about getting a bargain rather than filling a positional/tactical requirement.

We've got good (fantastic in some cases) individuals but they're often incompatible. 2 fantastic individual strikers who don't really work together a prime example, or the lack of natural width despite having a shitload of midfielders on the books.

Half the problem is the manager struggling to fit them together and the other half is that to fit them into a functionig system he has to sacrifice some of them completely or move them into a position they're not keen on. It's the biggest elephant in the room at the club right now - our sole source of goals also has us playing a system we're not particularly fluid in as a unit (to say the least).

The most alarming thing for me is that all the concerns right now are the same as I had last season. 4-4-2, no movement, too deep, no cohesion to our play when in possession. We haven't moved forward as a team, we've actually regressed from where we were at one point.

It seems more and more that Ba is dictating where he'll play, I HATE that.

Wullie hit the nail on the head when he said our transfer policy lends itself to having an imbalanced squad and players who don't necessarily fit a system together. All about getting a bargain rather than filling a positional/tactical requirement.

We've got good (fantastic in some cases) individuals but they're often incompatible. 2 fantastic individual strikers who don't really work together a prime example, or the lack of natural width despite having a shitload of midfielders on the books.

Half the problem is the manager struggling to fit them together and the other half is that to fit them into a functionig system he has to sacrifice some of them completely or move them into a position they're not keen on. It's the biggest elephant in the room at the club right now - our sole source of goals also has us playing a system we're not particularly fluid in as a unit (to say the least).

While some of that is true - that we tend to look for a bargain rather than build a team - I still think the bigger elephant in the room is that the manager can't use the resources he's got better. Having all the midfielders drop back then looking for long balls as an outlet looks prehistoric at this level.

Guest BooBoo

I'd love to know why week in, week out we start games so slowly.

It's of fuck all use to start playing against Man Utd only when the entire side has had it's collective thumb up its arse while they race 2-0 up. For me, it's the biggest concern. We've not played well in one league first half this season and more often than not it takes a goal for the opposition to wake us up.

Is it a motivation thing or are the players being instructed to "keep it tight first twenty, don't concede"?

I really can't remember the last time we started a game with aggression. If we do the same in the derby we'll be asking for trouble as in that fixture the home side is always up for it, buoyed by the crowd.

I'm a Pardew fan but if he comes back from Sunderland with a defeat, I think he'll be under pressure. The start to the season has been entirely underwhelming. There hasn't been a single convincing performance and that's of concern.

It's of fuck all use to start playing against Man Utd only when the entire side has had it's collective thumb up its arse while they race 2-0 up. For me, it's the biggest concern. We've not played well in one league first half this season and more often than not it takes a goal for the opposition to wake us up.

Is it a motivation thing or are the players being instructed to "keep it tight first twenty, don't concede"?

I really can't remember the last time we started a game with aggression. If we do the same in the derby we'll be asking for trouble as in that fixture the home side is always up for it, buoyed by the crowd.

I'm a Pardew fan but if he comes back from Sunderland with a defeat, I think he'll be under pressure. The start to the season has been entirely underwhelming. There hasn't been a single convincing performance and that's of concern.

Pardew's said before (against Chelsea at their place iirc) that the gameplan was to "still be in the game" at 70 mins then try and win it.

Suspect that goes for every game against the "big clubs". We got battered first 20 at the Bridge too.

Pardew's said before (against Chelsea at their place iirc) that the gameplan was to "still be in the game" at 70 mins then try and win it.

Suspect that goes for every game against the "big clubs". We got battered first 20 at the Bridge too.

Fair enough at Stamford Bridge, but at home to Man U? Doesn't exactly send out a message of confidence to the squad does it?

The idiot sent us out needing to play in the Man u half but our tactics were to sit back, he baffles me more often than not and I think last season was a lucky one off.

The idiot sent us out needing to play in the Man u half but our tactics were to sit back, he baffles me more often than not and I think last season was a lucky one off.

Come, on Mick. We're all pissed off but you're a better poster than to resort to calling him names again.

Guest neesy111

Also a manager who isn't willing to challenge his chairman on signings clearly doesn't help.

Pre-match interview against Man City at SJP last season, the interviewer asked him if he thinks it's going to be a fast start to the game. He quickly answered with a very sure "No". (then elaborated)

Ever since watching our approach to that game, where basically, imo, we were too cautious for too long, it opened my eyes up about Pardew's cautiousness, which I believe is holding us back at times.

Come, on Mick. We're all p*ssed off but you're a better poster than to resort to calling him names again.

Wow, I called him an idiot, an idiot is somebody who fails to learn and that cap fits.