Alan Pardew

Dave

“I’ve made it very, very clear that if we’re going to compete with the top clubs we need to pass the ball better, and we need to retain possession. If we’re going to retain possession, we need better players.

???

What's wrong with what he's said there?

“I’ve made it very, very clear that if we’re going to compete with the top clubs we need to pass the ball better, and we need to retain possession. If we’re going to retain possession, we need better players.

???

Nothing wrong in itself, but if that's his vision he's moving further away from it if we're going to keep playing like we are atm.

???

Pretty much confirms the belief that many of us have: He doesn't trust Williamson/Simpson to pass the ball, i.e instructing them to hoof it long.

I can't for one second imagine he'd say these things and not mean a single word of it, even if our game at this moment points to the complete opposite development in terms of style.

I hope that I'm reading the quote wrong.

???

Nothing wrong in itself, but if that's his vision he's moving further away from it if we're going to keep playing like we are atm.

I can see what you're getting at but can see what he's saying too. Think it's mainly aimed at the defence as we only have Colo and Santon out of the first choice back four who are truly comfortable in possession.

???

Nothing, apart from us having players who can do both when allowed to.

???

We have some, yes, but he's right in that we do need better players in order to help achieve it too.

He's been saying the same thing for quite a while now. You can still implement a philosophy without having the greatest personnel. Look at Swansea for example.

Once again it looks like he's coming out with more excuses for the poor football we've showed this season. Sick of hearing these type of quotes in the press, just get it sorted out on the pitch instead.

???

We have some, yes, but he's right in that we do need better players in order to help achieve it too.

9/11 should be enough really. More than that we've seen it be enough previously. He's talking balls IMO. There are teams with far fewer decent players who play a passing game. Simpson/Williamson's alleged inability to operate within a team playing passing football doesn't explain why Cabaye is playing early balls to the Dembas from just outside our area, or why Krul will hoof it long from a goal kick when Colo and Santon are ready to receive balls, or why there is often a massive gap between midfield and attack.

Pardew prefers a percentage game. He likes squeezing up the pitch, and the Dembas magnificiently capitalising on scrap balls that fall our way, howsoever they occur. He just wants the ball away from our goal :lol:

I've virtually no doubt we'll see the same from the first whistle this Sunday. Priority will be to play the percentages, keep a clean sheet, and keep the ball away from our penalty area by hoofing it long and far - which is why Shola should play, but that's a different kettle of fish.

???

9/11 should be enough really. More than that we've seen it be enough previously. He's talking balls IMO. There are teams with far less decent players who play a passing game. Simpson/Williamson's alleged inability to operate within a team playing passing football doesn't explain why Cabaye is playing early balls to the Dembas from just outside our area, or why Krul will hoof it long from a goal kick when Colo and Santon are ready to receive balls, or why there is often a massive gap between midfield and attack.

Pardew prefers a percentage game. He likes squeezing up the pitch, and the Dembas magnificiently capitalising on scrap balls that fall our way, howsoever they occur. He just wants the ball away from our goal :lol:

I've virtually no doubt we'll see the same from the first whistle this Sunday. Priority will be to play the percentages, keep a clean sheet, and keep the ball away from our penalty area by hoofing it long and far - which is why Shola should play, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Like I said earlier, I can see both sides to it and do agree with what yourself and Tooj are saying too. If we do sign these better players in order to control the ball more then he really has no excuse.

???

9/11 should be enough really. More than that we've seen it be enough previously. He's talking balls IMO. There are teams with far fewer decent players who play a passing game. Simpson/Williamson's alleged inability to operate within a team playing passing football doesn't explain why Cabaye is playing early balls to the Dembas from just outside our area, or why Krul will hoof it long from a goal kick when Colo and Santon are ready to receive balls, or why there is often a massive gap between midfield and attack.

Its not 9 out of 11 though.

Harper and Krul both have poor distribution - far worse than all the other 1st choice keepers in the top 6.

Williamson and Simpson are limited players all round. Williamson is incredibly uncomfortable with the ball at his feet for a Premier League player.

Jonas always has his head down when he has the ball. Tiote can't play incisive passes to save his life. Nothing Pardew said to either of them would change that.

Thats more than half the players on the pitch who have to get the ball up to Ba and Cisse, and neither of those 2 have shown a huge amount in terms of link up play.

I'm not saying all those players are shit btw. They can all be effective to varying degrees, but as a side passing is certainly not a strength, and that wouldn't change with a different manager. If Pardew told them to spray it around Swansea I don't think we'd have been as effective as a team last year. He gets the maximum out of the players we have, which is why we finished 5th last year, and as usual he is spot on with his comments.

Sick of people having a go at Williamson and Simpson like. Watch how often Cabaye, Tiote, Bigirimana and Krul all wallop it long. That's how we play. He likes the ball to be in dangerous areas as soon as possible.

Both of them played every game of our successful 4-3-3 run without somehow affecting the midfield, and it was only a few weeks ago everyone was telling me that Simpson had to be replaced by Perch so we could start playing. What happened there then? Oh yeah, Williamson has been playing, that's why we can't create a chance for our forwards. :rolleyes:

Jonas always has his head down when he has the ball. Tiote can't play incisive passes to save his life. Nothing Pardew said to either of them would change that.

Gerraway man, Jonas loves a through ball.

Better players may help as they always would, but it's not about only better players can, Swansea have plenty of less talented players than ours and keep possession through heavy drilling and training. Our tactics are set up wrong to play possession and our team seem uncomfortable with it.

It's not even important to me anyway per se, I thought we played some great counter attacking football last season, we didn't dominate holding the ball but we attacked with speed and by passing on the ground. We need to play 3 men in midfield if we want to dominate possession, if you could dominate with a passing game with a 2 man midfield Barcalona would be doing it, but even Xavi and Iniesta need Busquets there too. Pardew seems to think two good players in Tiote and Cabaye can win the midfield battle against 3 players but it's not going to happen, it's about having players available to receive the ball, and with 2 men, one can always be marked by the opposition.

Sick of people having a go at Williamson and Simpson like. Watch how often Cabaye, Tiote, Bigirimana and Krul all wallop it long. That's how we play. He likes the ball to be in dangerous areas as soon as possible.

Both of them played every game of our successful 4-3-3 run without somehow affecting the midfield, and it was only a few weeks ago everyone was telling me that Simpson had to be replaced by Perch so we could start playing. What happened there then? Oh yeah, Williamson has been playing, that's why we can't create a chance for our forwards. :rolleyes:

I was having a go at Williamson and Simpson earlier on in this thread. I do agree with you though. It's more down to the instructions than the players. However, I think we could find a right-back more comfortable in possession than Simpson. The general mentality and style is not down to these particular individuals. Pardew is pretty much hinting that their lack of ability on the ball is the reason behind our long-ball game, which is another way of trying to explain our shit football from a man doing more talking than walking at the minute.

Harper and Krul both have poor distribution - far worse than all the other 1st choice keepers in the top 6.

Williamson and Simpson are limited players all round. Williamson is incredibly uncomfortable with the ball at his feet for a Premier League player.

Thats more than half the players on the pitch who have to get the ball up to Ba and Cisse, and neither of those 2 have shown a huge amount in terms of link up play.

I'm not saying all those players are s*** btw. They can all be effective to varying degrees, but as a side passing is certainly not a strength, and that wouldn't change with a different manager. If Pardew told them to spray it around Swansea I don't think we'd have been as effective as a team last year. He gets the maximum out of the players we have, which is why we finished 5th last year, and as usual he is spot on with his comments.

Tiote did a canny impression of somebody who could play an incisive pass against Reading when he set Ba up for the first, so maybe Pardew only has to say "do it again."

Guest Dontooner

Somehow tactics and training routines seems like a Hoodoo ritual on this forum . no one acknowledges its tactics that won Madrid the liga title against the "best" team in the world last season. Mourinho wins where ever he goes, solid tactics and more solid tactics builds his winning teams. Tactics and Well drill routines and systems makes a real team, too bad there are too many who watch football for the fun of it but just dont understand it.

I was having a go at Williamson and Simpson earlier on in this thread. I do agree with you though. It's more down to the instructions than the players. However, I think we could find a right-back more comfortable in possession than Simpson. The general mentality and style is not down to these particular individuals. Pardew is pretty much hinting that their lack of ability on the ball is the reason behind our long-ball game, which is another way of trying to explain our s*** football from a man doing more talking than walking at the minute.

I do get the impression that some people have forgotten what watching truly shit football every week is actually like. We haven't played it regularly for ages, and the football we play is still better than most teams in the division.

He doesn't have to explain away anything either, he has consistently delivered for nearly 2 years and has the support of just about everyone aside from a tiny tiny minority on the internet. The idea hes backpeddling in some way is ridiculous. Hes just making a statement which he believes to be true and almost certainly is.

And do you really think he stands in the dressing room and says "I want you to hoof it", so they go out and hoof it? And if he said "play beautiful passing football" they would go out and do that instead? 

We were quite a direct side for all of last season. I doubt there were more than 3 games where we won by playing effective passing football from start to finish, but when you look at the table at the end of the season it would be absolutely stupid to argue with his methods. This team has never shown any indication that they could regularly win by outpassing teams, either in a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2.

I'm not saying all those players are s*** btw. They can all be effective to varying degrees, but as a side passing is certainly not a strength, and that wouldn't change with a different manager. If Pardew told them to spray it around Swansea I don't think we'd have been as effective as a team last year. He gets the maximum out of the players we have, which is why we finished 5th last year, and as usual he is spot on with his comments.

Tiote did a canny impression of somebody who could play an incisive pass against Reading when he set Ba up for the first, so maybe Pardew only has to say "do it again."

Well that one pass proves me wrong then, Tiote's the next Iniesta.