Alan Pardew

Dave

I can say this. It´s hard to be to critical when we was 10 men in 60 minutes.

BUT we just have no structure in our game. Just hit it long and hard. I can´t see anything that suggest we will improve this season. We will have games when we play well, and we will take some good and surprising games. But more than often we will be no better than when Allardyce was here.

Once again the overly cautious approach by Pardew cost us points. That and the substitution. (though I'd understand if he took Colo off for precautions)

Still a decent enough point though.

Unreal

Once again the overly cautious approach by Pardew cost us points. That and the substitution. (though I'd understand if he took Colo off for precautions)

Unreal

It's true. Not for the first time, actually attacking a worse team than ours seemed about 3rd on the agenda.

Made a big mistake in leaving Ba on when he clearly couldn't run (typically) after 70 minutes. Apart from that you can't fault him too much.

Sticking another body in midfield instead of going two up front might have been a good idea.  Jonas could and probably should have come off for Ferguson.

Unreal

Even with 10 men we needed an offensive game plan. We didn't have one. We did brilliantly to stifle them, but that's all AP was concerned about.

Had we actually bothered to have an organised attacking plan, then maybe Sunderland would have not put us under that much pressure in the first place.

Nothing unreal in that.

Obertan for Hatem was f***ing daft, Ba was blatantly flagging after some hard, hard graft on his own and needed to go off.

That and Cisse has the ability to score a wondergoal out of nothing. Taking Ba off for Cisse was a no brainer.

I think all of you are wrong. Coloccini seemed to be struggling to run after he got the cramp, so no problem with that sub.

He really should have got Cabaye off for Anita instead of Ben Arfa for Obertan at that time. Cabaye had nothing left. He had to float the ball in on the last set pieces as he didn´t have the strenght to lift the ball otherwise. Could barely jog.

Obertan for Hatem was f***ing daft, Ba was blatantly flagging after some hard, hard graft on his own and needed to go off.

I presume the idea was for Obertan to use his pace to exploit their high-line. Obertan, however, showed no attacking intent whatsoever.

I think all of you are wrong. Coloccini seemed to be struggling to run after he got the cramp, so no problem with that sub.

He really should have got Cabaye off for Anita instead of Ben Arfa for Obertan at that time. Cabaye had nothing left. He had to float the ball in on the last set pieces as he didn´t have the strenght to lift the ball otherwise. Could barely jog.

Cabaye was harrying them like fuck after that free-kick (which was terrible), he was the highest player up the pitch pressing their central defenders a couple of times in the last five minutes. Don't think he was spent at all.

Cisse for Ba would've been my move.

I think he looked completely out of it, so I guess arguing it is pointless.

I do however think that the way the game was, with us so deep on the pitch, a fresh pair of legs would have been more beneficial in midfield than on top. Cisse wouldn´t have been able to cope on his own against O´Shea and Cuellar.

1543:

Back to the Stadium of Light, briefly. You might think Newcastle manager Alan Pardew would be disappointed after seeing his side come within four minutes of victory, but he preferred to give credit to his players for playing for 65 minutes with 10 men after Cheick Tiote's red card.

"It was a magnificent effort," Pardew said. "It was important to our fans and we showed how important it is to us. An hour with 10 men, we couldn't hold on to the lead, if we did it would have been one of the greatest victories here ever.

"We were the better team before the sending off. At first, I didn't think it was that bad, but looking at it again, I can't have too many complaints."