Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest palnese

How can anyone say his tactics were spot on?

We saved one off the line

They could've scored within 3 minutes.

Only luck kept us in it.

Think I'll give this thread a miss tonight. He's overachieved in Europe with that squad, as s*** as he's been for us in the PL this year.

I don't agree whatsoever. The first real good team we played and we went out. No discredit either. I think he's done well, but he hasn't overachieved in my opinion at least. Don't like his approach to football but he's a likeable guy and I'll give him that.

Anzhi are definitely a good team like. Not as good as Benfica, but we did well to get past them.

Right, we complain about or squad yet their squad is bunch of unknown Russians and couple of start players, where one didn't play more than 10minutes and we beat them when they had one man less too.

Yeah Anzhi are shite like, bunch of unknown foreigners!

I remember the hilarity thinking Pardew might put one over Hiddink. As if that could ever happen LOL!

Only luck kept us in it.

Nobody wins football matches without luck. We could have not hit the post twice in the corresponding fixture.

Do any of the haters who are now crying  think we couldnt do it at 80 mins?

We had a 10 minute spell and then ran out of steam when Benfica had re organised themselves.

10 minutes out of 90 is fucking terrible.

Tactics were spot on today except for playing with Bigirimana from the start. I understand we wanted to contain them early but he just wasn't up to the occasion.

Almost, almost worked. Would've regained a lot of respect for him if it did.

That's not football though is it. Contain another team when you have to win 2-0. I'll give my two cents about it and say he's in the know that he's incapable of managing this team offensively and therefore hoped to nick a goal and put pressure on them with the help of the fans. I don't agree with his approach or if his philosophy if he has any, but I'm starting to realize that he himself understands he's nothing more than an average manager and leaves everything down to occasional luck.

Benfica are an excellent attacking team and I don't think we would've been able to stop them from scoring an away goal while putting pressure on them for 90 minutes. Given our limitations, the best chance we had was always going to be creating a window of opportunity to win the game rather than just going in all blood and thunder.

The plan almost worked. It's harsh to call it fundamentally flawed.

They are an excellent offensive team, so why let them come at us? Their weakest link is clearly their goalie, so why put the team out to not concede instead of trying to pile pressure and using the fans to help out? At hindsight I understand what you mean, but I still find putting pressure on them from the off and using the sold out SJP to support the players would've gotten them a bit shaky right from the off. We let them settle and feel the atmosphere a bit too much for my liking.

Oh well, it's not much to discuss, we weren't bad, but the tactics weren't spot on either. Pardew did what he is capable off, extremely average manager who I hope is off in the summer. I hope he turns the club around as he has proven that ocassionally he can get stuff right, but noway was this a tactically spot on game oldtype.

i see most have already brought what the salesman Pardew had sold to them pre match interview.

Alan Pardew: Newcastle need to play like Barcelona to beat Benfica

‘There’s only one team which has beaten them by two clear goals, and that’s Barcelona,’ Pardew said.

‘That’s the size of the task, so we are under no illusions there. This is a Champions League team, really. That’s the quality we are up against. We have to approach the game in the right manner and try to get to the end of the game in a position where we can get it back.’

I have no problem with going defensive against Benfica because they're a good side. My problem is with pretty much every premiership game where all our players look like individuals who have just met up for a five a side kick about. I think the main gripe with Pardew is how boring our games are, we very rarely really threaten the opposition with flowing attacking moves or even basic pass and move football. On the plus side though, having ben arfa and marv in the same team we looked a lot better, but I doubt we'll both see them start against Sunderland, when in reality they should.

Only luck kept us in it.

Nobody wins football matches without luck.

Tell the best teams in the world that like :lol:

We had a 10 minute spell and then ran out of steam when Benfica had re organised themselves.

10mins near the end of a european quater final, with silverware still on offer, on the 11th of April- for most of the 35 years ive watched the toon, stuff like that was what other better teams did, not us. great effort- very proud Howay the lads

i see most have already brought what the salesman Pardew had sold to them pre match interview.

‘There’s only one team which has beaten them by two clear goals, and that’s Barcelona,’ Pardew said.

‘That’s the size of the task, so we are under no illusions there. This is a Champions League team, really. That’s the quality we are up against. We have to approach the game in the right manner and try to get to the end of the game in a position where we can get it back.’

What would your starting lineup have been?

Think I'll give this thread a miss tonight. He's overachieved in Europe with that squad, as s*** as he's been for us in the PL this year.

I don't agree whatsoever. The first real good team we played and we went out. No discredit either. I think he's done well, but he hasn't overachieved in my opinion at least. Don't like his approach to football but he's a likeable guy and I'll give him that.

Anzhi are definitely a good team like. Not as good as Benfica, but we did well to get past them.

Right, we complain about or squad yet their squad is bunch of unknown Russians and couple of start players, where one didn't play more than 10minutes and we beat them when they had one man less too.

Yeah Anzhi are s**** like, bunch of unknown foreigners!

I remember the hilarity thinking Pardew might put one over Hiddink. As if that could ever happen LOL!

Right, because that's what I said? Read again Cajuanito. I said that their or at least intended to say that their squad isn't better than us. :p

10 minutes out of 90 is f***ing terrible.

10mins near the end of a european quater final, with silverware still on offer, on the 11th of April- for most of the 35 years ive watched the toon, stuff like that was what other better teams did, not us. great effort- very proud Howay the lads

Mihgt have been different if we were more forward thinking from the off.

What would your starting lineup have been?

Marv for Bigi.

Easy.

Exactly, I'd imagine I'm classed as a "hater" and was horrified to see the lineup, the pre-match comments, and the first 70 minutes as I'm proud of our club and would always like to see us go out to get teams.  Most weeks we don't even try to, yet I'm a "hater" for criticising the man responsible.

cp40 - you've been watching us for years.  I hate watching this shite in general.  How do you feel about watching it?

10 minutes out of 90 is f***ing terrible.

Mihgt have been different if we were more forward thinking from the off.

maybe- my belief is it would have beeen gone and out of sight by 80mins if we hadnt of kept them out. opinions, I agree with how Pardew approached it and it so nearly worked.

Guest Howaythetoon

This game sums Pardew up. He believed there was only two approaches to the game, all out attack or contain and then go for it. He simply didnt trust his players to go out and play another type of game, or rather he lacked the balls to allow them to. He didnt see another way and that is criminal. We didnt have to go all out attack, all we had to do was to keep the ball and work their back four but for 70 minutes we watched the opposition do that to us while we tried to err, contain them. He is a coward, a charlatan. I counted 20 times Cabaye on the edge of our box playing it to Williamson who then moved into midfield to play it forward. These tactics were in use even after the 70 minute mark, simply awful from a clueless idiot. He makes Souness look good this cunt.