Alan Pardew

Dave

I know he's probably trying to boost morale and make the players believe in themselves.  But I really wish he'd stop going on about the top 4.  At the minute, we'll do well to finish in the top 8. 

We're playing worse than last season, teams are more clued up to how we play and aren't taking us so lightly and other teams around us have improved.

I know it's early days, but I haven't really seen us play well in the league this season.  We looked a lot better yesterday, but it's difficult to draw much from a derby game, esepcially when we had 10 men for three quarters of it.

tbh this is starting to look like the Roeder era. Superb first season that leaved us with an exiting summer and start of the new season. But instead of improving a already good playing side it got worse and worse. And it wasn´t even the tactics. The players looked unfit and got individually worse and worse.

I´m not only questioning the tactics. I´m also starting to questioning the fitness and individually coaching. The players just don´t look up for it like last year. A lot of the seems unfit and a lot of them is individually playing poorly, the same syndrome as under Roeder.

Maybe this is completely wrong. But this is what I feel and tbh I´m starting to think this is true. I just can´t understand how hard it is to get a good coach that will get you play some good football. If we won´t win the league anyway. Way can´t we just do it with good football like the last 10 games last season?

I will never get over the fact that Pardew has gone from the 4-3-3 we played for this. He has definitely shown what kind of coach he is.

I remember reading this last night when I was pissed, so glad i didnt reply at the time. I'd have been banned.

I don't think you can really draw any conclusions on him from that game.  A local derby, down to ten men for the majority of the game, it's too much of an anomalous situation.  I did think bringing Obertan on for HBA was a mistake, I would have preferred to see Anita but ho hum.

I am still a little concerned about the football we're playing so far this season.  When we're playing 442 the midfield is sitting very deep and leaving the attack isolated.  That huge gap between our lines means that we don't have many options to play the ball around in the middle and resort to lumping it forward.  Whether this is deliberate and from the manager's instructions or a natural result of Cabaye and Tiote (or whoever is playing CM) often being outnumbered in the centre I don't know.

I don't think we get the best out of Jonas having him play wide, he just doesn't offer enough out there.  Ben Arfa also plays better when he's pushed further up the pitch and has more license to come central and look for the ball.  Having Benny free to roam around in the attack gives our midfield another option and a natural out ball along the floor to a player who has the skill and talent to keep it until support arrives. 

Cabaye is a great passer of the ball and has excellent vision but when he plays so deep he lacks options and is unable to use his range of passing to open up the opposition defence.  If he's in our own half when he receives the ball then it's too much to ask for him to thread a decent ball into the forwards or out wide from there, you end up trying to play hollywood balls.

That's all my opinion anyway, i'm sure others will see it differently but that's the beauty of the game. :)

I reckon we should play 433, stock the middle with Tiote Cabay and Jonas and then give the front three a bit of freedom whilxt attacking and getting the full backs to bomb on... When defending all men to the pumps leaving Cisse up front alone.

Guest neesy111

Was happy with how organised we looked yesterday, most solid I've seen us a good while and looked like what we were at the start of last season.  Long may it continue.

I don't think you can really draw any conclusions on him from that game.  A local derby, down to ten men for the majority of the game, it's too much of an anomalous situation.  I did think bringing Obertan on for HBA was a mistake, I would have preferred to see Anita but ho hum.

I am still a little concerned about the football we're playing so far this season.  When we're playing 442 the midfield is sitting very deep and leaving the attack isolated.  That huge gap between our lines means that we don't have many options to play the ball around in the middle and resort to lumping it forward.  Whether this is deliberate and from the manager's instructions or a natural result of Cabaye and Tiote (or whoever is playing CM) often being outnumbered in the centre I don't know.

I don't think we get the best out of Jonas having him play wide, he just doesn't offer enough out there.  Ben Arfa also plays better when he's pushed further up the pitch and has more license to come central and look for the ball.  Having Benny free to roam around in the attack gives our midfield another option and a natural out ball along the floor to a player who has the skill and talent to keep it until support arrives. 

Cabaye is a great passer of the ball and has excellent vision but when he plays so deep he lacks options and is unable to use his range of passing to open up the opposition defence.  If he's in our own half when he receives the ball then it's too much to ask for him to thread a decent ball into the forwards or out wide from there, you end up trying to play hollywood balls.

That's all my opinion anyway, i'm sure others will see it differently but that's the beauty of the game. :)

I reckon we should play 433, stock the middle with Tiote Cabay and Jonas and then give the front three a bit of freedom whilxt attacking and getting the full backs to bomb on... When defending all men to the pumps leaving Cisse up front alone.

Nah fuck that, no way should Jonas be starting any more. Needs time on the bench, Been shocking all season.

Was happy with how organised we looked yesterday, most solid I've seen us a good while and looked like what we were at the start of last season.  Long may it continue.

A lot of it was because of one specific curly, beautiful world class Argentinian that has been sorely missed.

Guest Dontooner

In fact we really look much better with Colo leading our defense, cant help to think we might have nicked the game if not for his injury.

Some might actually think i am a wum, my complains or contributions to this forum have all being negative statements only on Alan Pardew or Danny in some respects. I just haven't seen the progression of football on the pitch, the team has improved with players but just not the style. Still playing direct football and its not exactly matching up to what Pardew has being iterating since he joined the club. I am happy with the results from last season and this, the performance mismatch with the players and the style is what that is rattling my cage. Just frustrating to watch the talent being wasted away.

He can definitely set us up to play more positively with more possession in the opposition's half, but i am not at all convince he can get us to play fluid football. His style and tactics are geared towards Percentage football.

We'll start playing better once the first choice back 5 get back into it. No suprise we were solid yesterday with a full strength back four except Staylor.

Commentator made some comment about Pardew saying Colo and Williamson are our strongest CB partnership. Anyone else hear this?

Guest firetotheworks

I did and I agree, tbh. Mainly because they're less injury prone as a pair. Whether you like Williamson (and Simpson) or not, they made up half of one of the best back fours in the league last season. Colo is obviously the key in it all, though.

Got no real problem with Pardew. He's having trouble with his formation at the moment, as its not quite clicking, perhaps he will go back to 433.

However he does have his side organised, which I respect, we are very hard team to play.

Hopefully, we can climb the table soon and have a good run in Europe. Still fully behind Pards.

That little diamond we had for awhile looked pretty good tbh.

Yeah i'd like that too, solves the majority of problems as far as control and creativity goes and Pardew keeps his front 2 that he's trying to get to work and we would lose no midfield control.

Got no real problem with Pardew. He's having trouble with his formation at the moment, as its not quite clicking, perhaps he will go back to 433.

However he does have his side organised, which I respect, we are very hard team to play.

Hopefully, we can climb the table soon and have a good run in Europe. Still fully behind Pards.

totally agree.

Guest palnese

Whether we win or lose, the fact that he seems unable to get the best out of real top class players to the point where Shola is a better option is a massive concern to me.

Very much so. Imagine what Bobby or Keegan could've done with this squad.

I´ve said it a long time now. Pardew isn´t good enough to coach a team to the top and that won´t chance. Yes, yes, superb last season. But that seems to be a one off (and that´s the Roeder comparison). And tbh, bar a few games last season, we have never played really well.

As said. He is wasting good players for poor players with an easy tactics. He should be coaching a West Ham, Stoke, Sunderland, QPR etc. Not us. Good looking though.

Whether we win or lose, the fact that he seems unable to get the best out of real top class players to the point where Shola is a better option is a massive concern to me.

That's just way over the top. I can only think of Cabaye where he's had a real problem getting the best out of a player, and even then, Cabaye's still done well for us. You only have to point to the success story of HBA to know that what you're saying is nonsense.

Not disputing the shit line-up today. Starting Williamson and Shola ahead of Taylor and Cisse is a complete pisstake.

Deserves to be under pressure if we lose today. I know people don't like to admit that, I can live with results not going our way when we play our best team, best system, but playing a system that doesn't work for 2 months straight and scraping wins against Norwich and Spurs being our only results this season is shocking for a top 6 team.

That's just way over the top. I can only think of Cabaye where he's had a real problem getting the best out of a player, and even then, Cabaye's still done well for us. You only have to point to the success story of HBA to know that what you're saying is nonsense.

Not disputing the shit line-up today. Starting Williamson and Shola ahead of Taylor and Cisse is a complete pisstake.

I agree like, although you can say that there has been prolonged periods of time where a top class player either isn't performing, or where potentially top class partnerships in the side just aren't working.