Alan Pardew

Dave

The mistake was giving him an 8 year contract, sacking him now or in the summer , will not look good and may put off any decent managers who may want to come and work for Ashley.

I am sure most outsiders would think he not doing to bad a job here.So i fear sacking him all we would end up with is a Mark Hughes , or Tony Pulis as our next manager.

Neither of which i would class an impovement. on what we have already  got.

We can only assume that the contract was given to him because Ashley has no intention of sacking him except in disastrous circumstances.  It's always hard to predict what Ashley will do, but sacking Pardew if we stay up just doesn't fit into the way the club is being run now.

The mistake was giving him an 8 year contract, sacking him now or in the summer , will not look good and may put off any decent managers who may want to come and work for Ashley.

I am sure most outsiders would think he not doing to bad a job here.So i fear sacking him all we would end up with is a Mark Hughes , or Tony Pulis as our next manager.

We can only assume that the contract was given to him because Ashley has no intention of sacking him except in disastrous circumstances.  It's always hard to predict what Ashley will do, but sacking Pardew if we stay up just doesn't fit into the way the club is being run now.

i don't see that sacking pardew would deter new managers, you fail you get sacked, that's how it works

i don't see that sacking pardew would deter new managers, you fail you get sacked, that's how it works

Nah I don't either, I just think all signs are he won't get sacked.

agree, his fail probably hasn't been big enough yet to penetrate dekkas and mikes thick skins....so frustrating to know how next season is going to pan out before a ball is kicked man

Guest Dontooner

I think its quite debatable, since they are business people and would always prefer to have value for money.

It really depends on their long term plans, would they want us to be like wigan just staying up is fine or they would like to increase revenue by making Newcastle into a International Brand.

TBH them giving Pardew an eight year contract came as a surprise to me and them sacking him would not come as a surprise anymore since that is how the business circle works. It depends on revenue and profits, theoretically its quite obvious they want to grow us as a brand as much as possible since it would only enhance the value of Sports Direct through advertizing.

However how fast or slow they would like to achieve those goals are are yet to be seen.

Don't forget that at the time of this 8 year contract he was flying high and being touted as a possible england manager.  The 8 years just means we would get a big compensation payment if anyone tried to poach him (not likely now, is it?).  There'll be break clauses that will limit our exposure in the event of sacking him.l

I'm really torn at the minute. I want him out so much that half of me wants to cancel my ticket next year along with a letter to the box office explaining why, as that's the only thing they care about. But I also really like match day and catching up with friends.

Guest neesy111

I'm really torn at the minute. I want him out so much that half of me wants to cancel my ticket next year along with a letter to the box office explaining why, as that's the only thing they care about. But I also really like match day and catching up with friends.

:sadnod:

Question for Neil:

How did Everton supporters react to some of the bad seasons David Moyes had? 17th after finishing 7th and 11th after finishing 4th? How was the football on display in those seasons? Did the fans want him out?

Guest icemanblue

agree, his fail probably hasn't been big enough yet to penetrate dekkas and mikes thick skins....so frustrating to know how next season is going to pan out before a ball is kicked man

You don't though, do you? No one does. I don't remember seeing a single person saying we'd struggle quite so badly this season, before a ball had been kicked. There were concerns over the lack of strengthening, but I don't remember worries over a possible relegation battle. That's despite the protestations of a few that they 'knew this would happen', based on the quality of football that secured us 5th place.

What's been a massive factor this season is the lack of momentum. We had that from the unbeaten start to last year. The confidence generated from that run gave us a platform to carry through the season, which was further improved with the addition of better footballers (Hatem, Cisse). Start well next season, and we may see a vast improvement over this one, though, admittedly, I highly doubt we'd reach the levels of last year.

The remaining 5 games are all a week apart, no excuse for using "fatigue" as an excuse for performances. All teams have a degree of tiredness come the end of the season, it's all relative. The burdon of europe is gone now, lets see what's turned out in these last 5 games

The remaining 5 games are all a week apart, no excuse for using "fatigue" as an excuse for performances. All teams have a degree of tiredness come the end of the season, it's all relative. The burdon of europe is gone now, lets see what's turned out in these last 5 games

Would it amaze you if the change ('it's been difficult to adjust') is a problem? :lol:

This.

Would it amaze you if the change ('it's been difficult to adjust') is a problem? :lol:

I don't know what to think anymore really, I'm certainly not expecting sudden free flowing expansive football :lol: Pardew looks pretty lost to me so on balance no I'm probably not expecting much. I suppose I'm interested to hear what he says if its still utter dogshit. I think there's enough quality in the side to atleast pull out enough in the remaining games to secure safety irrespective of the way he sets us up.

You don't though, do you? No one does. I don't remember seeing a single person saying we'd struggle quite so badly this season, before a ball had been kicked. There were concerns over the lack of strengthening, but I don't remember worries over a possible relegation battle. That's despite the protestations of a few that they 'knew this would happen', based on the quality of football that secured us 5th place.

What's been a massive factor this season is the lack of momentum. We had that from the unbeaten start to last year. The confidence generated from that run gave us a platform to carry through the season, which was further improved with the addition of better footballers (Hatem, Cisse). Start well next season, and we may see a vast improvement over this one, though, admittedly, I highly doubt we'd reach the levels of last year.

i didn't say we'd struggle badly again next season did i, though ok i could see how you might think that's what i meant....we may well struggle badly, we may have another push for europe, but either will be built on shite football and direct tactics with this joker running things

of that i am sure

The journo's are starting to tell the truth little by little:

Alan Pardew faces backlash after Tyne-Wear derby

THE Tyne-Wear derby has mutated into a monster. Tame it – like Paolo Di Canio did on Sunday afternoon – and it will be your friend forever. Allow it to consume you and its capacity to savage reputations is limitless.

With his Newcastle team ripped to shreds on a history-making afternoon at sombre St James’ Park, Alan Pardew is about to feel its full force.

It was not always like this, of course. In days of yore the derby record was more balanced and the rivalry a sub-plot to two clubs pushing for greater success than just reigning over a patch of 100 or so miles in the North East of England.

But 50 years without a trophy and the increasing tribalism of Premier League football has added edge and urgency to these derby-day clashes. They matter, and humiliation will visit a unique kind of pressure on the losing manager.

Pardew knows the rhythms of this area well enough by now and will be expecting an onslaught. His team carried the bigger reputation into Sunday’s derby but were routed by Di Canio’s passion play. The most damning criticism of his team was the one expressed in bars up and down wounded Tyneside – Sunderland looked as if they wanted it more.

The fatigue mitigation was probably medically correct. The outspoken Raymond Verheijen, number two to Gary Speed in his Wales days, is a passionate advocate of proper recovery time and pointed out yesterday that both Chelsea and Newcastle had been underwhelming after their Thursday exertions.

As far as excuses go, however, it was never likely to warrant sympathy from Newcastle supporters. Had it been a one-off it would have been bad enough – the fact is United have consistently underachieved this season.

In truth, beating the Black Cats would have been papering over the cracks that have emerged this season. In the Premier League at least, this has been a bitterly disappointing campaign – and those at the top know it.

The indications from the boardroom are that there will be frank discussions in the summer. There need to be.

For while the first meeting of the club’s transfer committee has already taken place, recruitment will be rendered pointless unless issues that have festered all season are salved by Pardew and his coaching staff.

Derek Llambias remains steadfast in his support of the manager. He insists the appetite for chopping and changing does not exist, but Pardew has been wounded by this. His reputation will be put back together piece by piece in the coming weeks and even surviving in the Premier League – the barest minimum expected – will do little to consign memories of a season of struggle.

For while United have been dreadfully unfortunate with injuries, some of their problems strike closer to home. Dead balls, for example. No team in the Premier League has scored fewer from corners (just one) and they have rarely looked dangerous from free-kicks either, unless Yohan Cabaye has artfully chipped them over the wall. He is capable of that kind of alchemy yet they rarely apply pressure in the opposition box. No amount of tinkering with routines or takers seems to have changed that.

Key men seem to have treaded water this year – or even gone backwards. Cheick Tioté is a case in point. The only redeeming feature of his derby-day experience was that he wasn’t booked, although there was little else to celebrate.

That, unfortunately, has been a trend this year yet when the Ivorian has been fit and available, he has always started. It has left Vurnon Anita kicking his heels in frustration.

Papiss Cissé is another. His 13-goal contribution this season is an illustration of his enduring goal-scoring class but he has been utilised in one system after another that has failed to recapture the menace he exhibited last season.

Indulging Demba Ba despite his lingering desire to move on was a mistake in spite of the contribution he made. Ba collected goals and bolstered his reputation but the team laboured and moving Cissé to the right wing felt like an unhappy compromise.

Now he is asked to plough a lone furrow and while the goals have returned to his game, Newcastle don’t look as dangerous as an attacking unit with Cissé spearheading and Sissoko playing as a forraging number ten.

We had assumed the January spending spree had injected enough momentum into the club to guide them clear of relegation but the anxiety remains. Sissoko, perhaps yearning for a return to a more familiar midfield role, has tailed off while Yoan Gouffran has offered little since he suffered an injury at Tottenham in February.

This is not a time for rash judgements, of course. Plenty of things will be said and done over the next few days but the spike of post-derby emotion must be allowed to subside before rational and sober judgements are made. It is also worth remembering that Newcastle’s squad is stacked with more talent than at any point since Sir Bobby Robson’s heyday and the man in charge won the manager of the year award last year.

The picture off the field remains rosy and the revolution will continue to roll this summer, with planning already under way.

But it has become obvious over the last three months that Newcastle United cannot continue to follow the same path and hope to recapture last season’s fifth-placed finish.

There is a pressing need for Pardew to show he is the man to affect that change, or the derby monster will claim another victim.

Read more: Journal Live http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2013/04/16/alan-pardew-faces-backlash-after-tyne-wear-derby-61634-33179180/#ixzz2QbyfqxEL

Good read from Douglas that. First time the issue has been discussed from them.

Also refreshing to read that there is reviewing and consideration to be done at boardroom level regardless of how we finish the season.

At the time of Pardew's appointment, MA and DL hadn't shown the increased understanding of football that the recent transfer window showed for example. I also think the 5th place might have given them taste for actual sporting success, and the income it could bring would be appealing to them.

Playing shit football isn't doing any good for the club's brand either.

I think there's something in the momentum and confidence argument, although obviously everyone will slaughter it as 'just another excuse'. Footballers can play massively above or below their ability based on how things are going for them.

The manager obviously has to share massive blame, I disagree with a lot of his decisions, but hopefully a fresh start will generate major improvements.

Guest icemanblue

i didn't say we'd struggle badly again next season did i, though ok i could see how you might think that's what i meant....we may well struggle badly, we may have another push for europe, but either will be built on shite football and direct tactics with this joker running things

of that i am sure

You said you knew how the season would pan out, like. You don't. You'll think you have a pretty good idea at the minute, but that's entirely based on the negativity generated this season. However, I'm not one who subscribes to this belief that we played terrible football for all of last season. So, our opinions are bound to differ.

What I believe is certain, for next season, based on the stories emerging after the derby (like the one above) is that a bad start in the league will result in his departure. Rightly so, by the way. There's been too high an investment for them to risk our league status, or any lower returns they expect from disgruntled player transfers.