Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest icemanblue

You don't though, do you? No one does. I don't remember seeing a single person saying we'd struggle quite so badly this season, before a ball had been kicked. There were concerns over the lack of strengthening, but I don't remember worries over a possible relegation battle. That's despite the protestations of a few that they 'knew this would happen', based on the quality of football that secured us 5th place.

What's been a massive factor this season is the lack of momentum. We had that from the unbeaten start to last year. The confidence generated from that run gave us a platform to carry through the season, which was further improved with the addition of better footballers (Hatem, Cisse). Start well next season, and we may see a vast improvement over this one, though, admittedly, I highly doubt we'd reach the levels of last year.

i didn't say we'd struggle badly again next season did i, though ok i could see how you might think that's what i meant....we may well struggle badly, we may have another push for europe, but either will be built on shite football and direct tactics with this joker running things

of that i am sure

You said you knew how the season would pan out, like. You don't. You'll think you have a pretty good idea at the minute, but that's entirely based on the negativity generated this season. However, I'm not one who subscribes to this belief that we played terrible football for all of last season. So, our opinions are bound to differ.

What I believe is certain, for next season, based on the stories emerging after the derby (like the one above) is that a bad start in the league will result in his departure. Rightly so, by the way. There's been too high an investment for them to risk our league status, or any lower returns they expect from disgruntled player transfers.

no it's not, it's based on the games i watched last season as well when among others said that the tactics he was employing were unsustainable, the tactics he's employed all season that have brought us to this point when for months it's been obvious they were never going to work

so in terms of how next season will pan out my prediction is either cisse or hba wonder-goal us up the table or they don't and we flounder or struggle, but yeah i'm hardly able to predict the future

That's an incredibly simple, and quite short sighted prediction. I can't accept that the sole reason for our successful year was 'wonder goals' from our better individuals. In fact, the very nature of the 'negative' argument implies that we'd be defensive. As we've seen this season, defensive tactics don't work without a well drilled team and an organised defence. I'd say that foundation, along with our creative players, was the reason for our success.

If he can replicate that, with further strengthening, we'll do alright.

You think the problem with this season is that the defence wasn't well drilled or organised?

It's definitely a contributing factor, like, aye.

Why might it have become unorganised?

Buck stops with the manager for that, obviously. The lack of consistency, due injuries etc, in our back five has been a contributing factor though.

No matter where we finished last season we didn't play good football imo, apart from a few ones where Ba played left in a 4-3-3 or whatever. In fact i don't know how many points we earned in games where we were totally outplayed and tbh deserved absolutely nothing.

That's OTT, the truth is somewhere in between.

As I said the other day, there were plenty of times I left SJP really happy with the result but pretty unimpressed with how we'd got it, but it's garbage to say we didn't play good football full stop.

No matter where we finished last season we didn't play good football imo, apart from a few ones where Ba played left in a 4-3-3 or whatever. In fact i don't know how many points we earned in games where we were totally outplayed and tbh deserved absolutely nothing.

That's OTT, the truth is somewhere in between.

As I said the other day, there were plenty of times I left SJP really happy with the result but pretty unimpressed with how we'd got it, but it's garbage to say we didn't play good football full stop.

definitely did play some good football 2nd half of the season once HBA was up to speed, 1st half yeah it was a bit more solid and pragmatic but it was hardly horrendous to watch

Guest icemanblue

I really don't know why you're pulling me on that, when you said it?

because i say everything went for him and your response is we took some heavy defeats, of course everything didn't go for him or we'd have won the league as i said

Right. So you said it, but actually meant what I said in response?

The cons are harder to articulate because they're about an unknown future with an unknown replacement.

FWIW I've said before that I wouldn't really be able to argue with the sacking, or shed a tear for Pards. He is getting to the situation where a manager would normally be in great danger, but I just don't think it's in the plan to sack him unless there's a disaster like relegation.

I hope Ashley doesn't mind losing some of these blue chip players who we worked so hard to sign then, because another mediocre season next year and some of them will want out.

The cons are harder to articulate because they're about an unknown future with an unknown replacement.

FWIW I've said before that I wouldn't really be able to argue with the sacking, or shed a tear for Pards. He is getting to the situation where a manager would normally be in great danger, but I just don't think it's in the plan to sack him unless there's a disaster like relegation.

I hope Ashley doesn't mind losing some of these blue chip players who we worked so hard to sign then, because another mediocre season next year and some of them will want out.

You might be right if next season is like this one. Obviously in that case any defence of Pardew would basically be futile anyway.

Shepherd's problem was never ever with firing people, it was the fucking dolts he kept hiring that was the problem. Souness for example had the plug pulled far far too late.

That was still the worst decision to hire him. Literally every one and their dog knew he'd fail except Shepherd.

I have a feeling it could be sooner than that for one or two.

You don't though, do you? No one does. I don't remember seeing a single person saying we'd struggle quite so badly this season, before a ball had been kicked. There were concerns over the lack of strengthening, but I don't remember worries over a possible relegation battle. That's despite the protestations of a few that they 'knew this would happen', based on the quality of football that secured us 5th place.

What's been a massive factor this season is the lack of momentum. We had that from the unbeaten start to last year. The confidence generated from that run gave us a platform to carry through the season, which was further improved with the addition of better footballers (Hatem, Cisse). Start well next season, and we may see a vast improvement over this one, though, admittedly, I highly doubt we'd reach the levels of last year.

i didn't say we'd struggle badly again next season did i, though ok i could see how you might think that's what i meant....we may well struggle badly, we may have another push for europe, but either will be built on shite football and direct tactics with this joker running things

of that i am sure

You said you knew how the season would pan out, like. You don't. You'll think you have a pretty good idea at the minute, but that's entirely based on the negativity generated this season. However, I'm not one who subscribes to this belief that we played terrible football for all of last season. So, our opinions are bound to differ.

What I believe is certain, for next season, based on the stories emerging after the derby (like the one above) is that a bad start in the league will result in his departure. Rightly so, by the way. There's been too high an investment for them to risk our league status, or any lower returns they expect from disgruntled player transfers.

no it's not, it's based on the games i watched last season as well when among others said that the tactics he was employing were unsustainable, the tactics he's employed all season that have brought us to this point when for months it's been obvious they were never going to work

so in terms of how next season will pan out my prediction is either cisse or hba wonder-goal us up the table or they don't and we flounder or struggle, but yeah i'm hardly able to predict the future

That's an incredibly simple, and quite short sighted prediction. I can't accept that the sole reason for our successful year was 'wonder goals' from our better individuals. In fact, the very nature of the 'negative' argument implies that we'd be defensive. As we've seen this season, defensive tactics don't work without a well drilled team and an organised defence. I'd say that foundation, along with our creative players, was the reason for our success.

You think the problem with this season is that the defence wasn't well drilled or organised?

Buck stops with the manager for that, obviously. The lack of consistency, due injuries etc, in our back five has been a contributing factor though.

it wasn't just the back 5 that kept us in it while everyone else powered forward though, we were a very rigid team and well drilled in how to play the system and protect ourselves...could be that in wanting to open up pardew has lost the one thing he was any good at and injuries have stopped him getting back to it, maybe

because i say everything went for him and your response is we took some heavy defeats, of course everything didn't go for him or we'd have won the league as i said

what? :lol:  give it up man

of that i am sure

Yeah. It's odd though isn't it. Our defending's gotten worse but so has our  attacking game. Begs the question what do we actually work on in training. It's not set penises :lol:

It pisses me off more every time I think about it.

This season is basically last season without the absurdly good luck and defensive organization.

The luck, fine. But what the fuck happened to the organization. Do we not train anymore? Has everyone decided it was okay to stop trying?

Last year we had to play half the season each with Ryan Taylor at left back and Williamson at Center Back and we were still miles better at defending. What the fuck happened man.

You might be right if next season is like this one. Obviously in that case any defence of Pardew would basically be futile anyway.

I'm saying that in response to Inochi's suggestion that we should see how we start next season before giving Pards the heave. If we start poorly I can't see some of our better players wanting to drift along for another year. I'm not sure Ashley will want to risk that scenario either after splashing out big money to bring quality players here.

Guest icemanblue

of that i am sure

Yeah. It's odd though isn't it. Our defending's gotten worse but so has our  attacking game. Begs the question what do we actually work on in training. It's not set penises :lol:

Aye, it's baffling how we/he have gone backwards so dramtically. The unsettled nature of the season hasn't helped, and I do genuinely believe he's massively struggled with the additional games. He's a 'details' manager, and he hasn't had the time available to get his message accross to the players. If anything, I think he, as a manger, was even less prepared for Europe than the squad was. We did still get to the quarter finals, like, so that shouldn't be forgotten.

I just think it's asking for trouble. For anyone advocating giving him 'at least the start' of next season, is it inconceivable that we'll be in another relegation battle by christmas?

Granted there's always that risk with a new manager. Mike and Derek are taking good advice on player recruitment, if they took equally good advice on a new manager we could be a serious force next season.

They certainly will, and before the season ends too - be gone in January although I expect at least one departure in summer if Pardew stays.

I wouldn't blame any of them either, although some haven't covered themselves with glory of late...

Guest icemanblue

what? :lol:  give it up man

It always descends into this with you, like. All I've done is pull you up on something you've said in a post, but now you're acting as if it's obviously not what you meant. 

of that i am sure

Aye, it's baffling how we/he have gone backwards so dramtically. The unsettled nature of the season hasn't helped, and I do genuinely believe he's massively struggled with the additional games. He's a 'details' manager, and he hasn't had the time available to get his message accross to the players. If anything, I think he, as a manger, was even less prepared for Europe than the squad was. We did still get to the quarter finals, like, so that shouldn't be forgotten.

I'd go one step further and say he's a 'details of the opposing team' manager. Hence quotes like 'when he's got the ball, that's his world' about HBA. From watching us I imagine that to be his approach with all our players, just try and score without moving out of your position.

The EL was fun but lets not kid ourselves, we got past one team that were any good.

i do genuinely wonder if privately the players aren't just just fucking sick of it, as an explanation for how we've become so disorganised...it's not like we have players who naturally fit in the type of game that pardew likes to play, now things are on the up maybe they're just not putting in the effort because they want to actually play football for a living

i didn't say we'd struggle badly again next season did i, though ok i could see how you might think that's what i meant....we may well struggle badly, we may have another push for europe, but either will be built on s**** football and direct tactics with this joker running things

of that i am sure

Was hardly difficult to get to the Qfs was it?

Did you think we'd struggle to get out of that group?

And then Anzhi in the middle of their winter break.

Benfica was the first decent team we played.

i do genuinely wonder if privately the players aren't just just fucking sick of it, as an explanation for how we've become so disorganised...it's not like we have players who naturally fit in the type of game that pardew likes to play, now things are on the up maybe they're just not putting in the effort because they want to actually play football for a living

You see it time and time again, a new manager comes in who isn't all about negativity and the press is full of quotes from players talking about how much of a relief it is. I'm expecting this as much as I'm expecting thousands to say 'ahh yeah I see what you mean' if they see this team coached by someone proactive.

Tbf, I'd give him a chance next season if he started to show he's learning from his mistakes.  1st thing after the season ended is that all the coaching staff and fitness staff need to go.  Our fitness this season has been appalling.

Learning from his mistakes? Been waiting for this for a looooong time now tbh. Overall he probably doesn't even know what he does wrong, or refuses to see how s*** he is. Sack the snakey c*** asap if you ask me! Get rid and move on.

What 'learning from his mistakes' did he do at his other clubs..??

Guest neesy111

None of the players have any right to want out after this season, they need to suck it up and make amends for their rank performances.

:thup:

I can't think of anyone standing out all season in terms of overall performances.