Alan Pardew

Dave

Good article by Douglas, hopefully the journalists will start asking him relevant and challenging questions about his style of play etc. They'll probably get the usual load of guff back but it might at least put the pressure on him a bit more to know that his methods are being questioned. I'm still fuming at that Shola sub, as if that useless gimp still plays in virtually every game for us.

Its all a bit of a laugh the fans having the 'Shola the Mackem Slayer' joke, but we can't have the manager buying into it ffs.

You can only beat what's in front of you and we didn't. Quarter finals ffs, Boro and Fulham have played in recent finals.

Not saying we did shit but let's not pretend we're the plucky League One team making a heroic FA Cup run. We went out where we'd probably expect to and ultimately did no better then Souness managed.

Guest icemanblue

You don't though, do you? No one does. I don't remember seeing a single person saying we'd struggle quite so badly this season, before a ball had been kicked. There were concerns over the lack of strengthening, but I don't remember worries over a possible relegation battle. That's despite the protestations of a few that they 'knew this would happen', based on the quality of football that secured us 5th place.

What's been a massive factor this season is the lack of momentum. We had that from the unbeaten start to last year. The confidence generated from that run gave us a platform to carry through the season, which was further improved with the addition of better footballers (Hatem, Cisse). Start well next season, and we may see a vast improvement over this one, though, admittedly, I highly doubt we'd reach the levels of last year.

i didn't say we'd struggle badly again next season did i, though ok i could see how you might think that's what i meant....we may well struggle badly, we may have another push for europe, but either will be built on shite football and direct tactics with this joker running things

of that i am sure

You said you knew how the season would pan out, like. You don't. You'll think you have a pretty good idea at the minute, but that's entirely based on the negativity generated this season. However, I'm not one who subscribes to this belief that we played terrible football for all of last season. So, our opinions are bound to differ.

What I believe is certain, for next season, based on the stories emerging after the derby (like the one above) is that a bad start in the league will result in his departure. Rightly so, by the way. There's been too high an investment for them to risk our league status, or any lower returns they expect from disgruntled player transfers.

no it's not, it's based on the games i watched last season as well when among others said that the tactics he was employing were unsustainable, the tactics he's employed all season that have brought us to this point when for months it's been obvious they were never going to work

so in terms of how next season will pan out my prediction is either cisse or hba wonder-goal us up the table or they don't and we flounder or struggle, but yeah i'm hardly able to predict the future

That's an incredibly simple, and quite short sighted prediction. I can't accept that the sole reason for our successful year was 'wonder goals' from our better individuals. In fact, the very nature of the 'negative' argument implies that we'd be defensive. As we've seen this season, defensive tactics don't work without a well drilled team and an organised defence. I'd say that foundation, along with our creative players, was the reason for our success.

If he can replicate that, with further strengthening, we'll do alright.

You think the problem with this season is that the defence wasn't well drilled or organised?

It's definitely a contributing factor, like, aye.

Why might it have become unorganised?

Buck stops with the manager for that, obviously. The lack of consistency, due injuries etc, in our back five has been a contributing factor though.

Yeah. It's odd though isn't it. Our defending's gotten worse but so has our  attacking game. Begs the question what do we actually work on in training. It's not set penises :lol:

Aye, it's baffling how we/he have gone backwards so dramtically. The unsettled nature of the season hasn't helped, and I do genuinely believe he's massively struggled with the additional games. He's a 'details' manager, and he hasn't had the time available to get his message accross to the players. If anything, I think he, as a manger, was even less prepared for Europe than the squad was. We did still get to the quarter finals, like, so that shouldn't be forgotten.

I'd go one step further and say he's a 'details of the opposing team' manager. Hence quotes like 'when he's got the ball, that's his world' about HBA. From watching us I imagine that to be his approach with all our players, just try and score without moving out of your position.

The EL was fun but lets not kid ourselves, we got past one team that were any good.

Splitting hairs a bit, but I don't disagree. However, I obviously don't have as much of an issue with that approach as others. I think, with players like HBA, there isn't too much wrong in ensuring that he's doing his bit for the solidity of the team, while being given free reign to do what he does best when required.

With regards to the EL, granted, there wasn't a great deal of stellar opposition. But you can only beat what is in front of you.

You can only beat what is in front of you, credit is due based on the strength of the opposition you beat, we beat one good team :thup:

My problem is the players aren't given free reign. By his own admission Pardew's 'world' is what happens when his team don't have the ball. Due to this, when we do have the ball the players aren't allowed to move anywhere.

I disagree, quite strongly, with your flippant dismissal of our performance in the EL. Considering the teams we put out, until the latter stages, I still believe we did extremely well to get as far as we did.

In bold, that's quite a confused assumption based on the quote you posted previously. There's no way we're working enough on our attacking shape and movement, but I can't quite get on board with an accusation that he deliberately informs the players to rigidly stick to positions when attacking.

If he's not going to get any credit for getting to a European QF then it's mental IMO. There are plenty of actual things to slag him off about.

He gets credit Ian, but it has to be relative to the achievement.

I agree. Nobody was saying it was equivalent to winning the Champions League or anything, but it was a decent achievement.

Don't agree tbh. Qualifying for it was a good achievement. Our group was piss poor and the beating the other two by 1 goal over 2 legs each wasn't setting anyone's world alight. We play in a better league than them and they were on winter break. Benfica were the only team who were any good.

HE IS SOUNDING LIKE STEVE BRUCE!!  :frantic:

ALAN Pardew has challenged his Newcastle United side to reassert their superiority over Sunderland next season.

But first the relegation-threatened club must secure its Premier League status.

United suffered their heaviest derby defeat in 34 years on Sunday when they lost 3-0 to Paolo Di Canio’s side at St James’s Park.

It wasn’t just the result which rankled among supporters. The performance was the worst in a Tyne-Wear fixture in decades, with Sunderland having deservedly claimed North East bragging rights, with the two clubs having drawn 1-1 at the Stadium of Light earlier in the season.

Thirteenth-placed Newcastle’s league position – like that of Sunderland – remains precarious.

And Pardew’s team – who face West Bromwich Albion at The Hawthorns on Saturday – must claim at least four points in their remaining five games to stay up.

Beyond that, Pardew’s looking for Newcastle to replicate last season’s strong league campaign whne the club finished fifth and qualified for Europe – and be dominant in the derby fixtures.

“We’ve got to make sure we play well in the last five games – good, solid performances – and next year prove that we’re a bigger and better club in terms of our Premier League position by finishing well above them,” Pardew told the Gazette.

“That’s what we’re going to try and do next year.”

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/we-ll-prove-we-re-bigger-than-sunderland-next-season-pardew-1-5586951

He will be in HMV looking for song to play if we win the derby game next season.

If he's not going to get any credit for getting to a European QF then it's mental IMO. There are plenty of actual things to slag him off about.

I agree. Nobody was saying it was equivalent to winning the Champions League or anything, but it was a decent achievement.

Don't agree tbh. Qualifying for it was a good achievement. Our group was piss poor and the beating the other two by 1 goal over 2 legs each wasn't setting anyone's world alight. We play in a better league than them and they were on winter break. Benfica were the only team who were any good.

Fair enough, it's basically a matter of opinion/expectation so there's not much debate to be had.

Guest bimpy474

I understand people's viewpoints to a degree, but I have no idea what they are seeing that suggests he might turn this around. Watching us this season surely tells you all you need to know? "details" manager?! What details would that be, the fact he cant get a team to play as a coherent attacking unit? That he only knows one substitution? "We needed a tackle" "run further, jump higher"? The fact we've been schooled consistently by worse teams? Shola on the wing? Cisse on the wing? Long ball? 3-0 at home to the Mackems?!

Its tantamount to having a Sunday league manager (without the remote chance of scoring from a corner). He has no clue, none whatsoever, had we not have bought in Jan, we'd be down. Even without that, we could still go down. A late Cisse winnner has saved us from the drop. Its embarrassing, amateurish and downright turgid to watch. I feel like people don't want to admit they were wrong, its baffling.

There is no mitigating factors/excuses/ etc for this season, it is fucking inexcusable

Agree with this me.

You don't though, do you? No one does. I don't remember seeing a single person saying we'd struggle quite so badly this season, before a ball had been kicked. There were concerns over the lack of strengthening, but I don't remember worries over a possible relegation battle. That's despite the protestations of a few that they 'knew this would happen', based on the quality of football that secured us 5th place.

What's been a massive factor this season is the lack of momentum. We had that from the unbeaten start to last year. The confidence generated from that run gave us a platform to carry through the season, which was further improved with the addition of better footballers (Hatem, Cisse). Start well next season, and we may see a vast improvement over this one, though, admittedly, I highly doubt we'd reach the levels of last year.

i didn't say we'd struggle badly again next season did i, though ok i could see how you might think that's what i meant....we may well struggle badly, we may have another push for europe, but either will be built on shite football and direct tactics with this joker running things

of that i am sure

You said you knew how the season would pan out, like. You don't. You'll think you have a pretty good idea at the minute, but that's entirely based on the negativity generated this season. However, I'm not one who subscribes to this belief that we played terrible football for all of last season. So, our opinions are bound to differ.

What I believe is certain, for next season, based on the stories emerging after the derby (like the one above) is that a bad start in the league will result in his departure. Rightly so, by the way. There's been too high an investment for them to risk our league status, or any lower returns they expect from disgruntled player transfers.

no it's not, it's based on the games i watched last season as well when among others said that the tactics he was employing were unsustainable, the tactics he's employed all season that have brought us to this point when for months it's been obvious they were never going to work

so in terms of how next season will pan out my prediction is either cisse or hba wonder-goal us up the table or they don't and we flounder or struggle, but yeah i'm hardly able to predict the future

That's an incredibly simple, and quite short sighted prediction. I can't accept that the sole reason for our successful year was 'wonder goals' from our better individuals. In fact, the very nature of the 'negative' argument implies that we'd be defensive. As we've seen this season, defensive tactics don't work without a well drilled team and an organised defence. I'd say that foundation, along with our creative players, was the reason for our success.

You think the problem with this season is that the defence wasn't well drilled or organised?

Buck stops with the manager for that, obviously. The lack of consistency, due injuries etc, in our back five has been a contributing factor though.

Yeah. It's odd though isn't it. Our defending's gotten worse but so has our  attacking game. Begs the question what do we actually work on in training. It's not set penises :lol:

Aye, it's baffling how we/he have gone backwards so dramtically. The unsettled nature of the season hasn't helped, and I do genuinely believe he's massively struggled with the additional games. He's a 'details' manager, and he hasn't had the time available to get his message accross to the players. If anything, I think he, as a manger, was even less prepared for Europe than the squad was. We did still get to the quarter finals, like, so that shouldn't be forgotten.

I'd go one step further and say he's a 'details of the opposing team' manager. Hence quotes like 'when he's got the ball, that's his world' about HBA. From watching us I imagine that to be his approach with all our players, just try and score without moving out of your position.

The EL was fun but lets not kid ourselves, we got past one team that were any good.

Splitting hairs a bit, but I don't disagree. However, I obviously don't have as much of an issue with that approach as others. I think, with players like HBA, there isn't too much wrong in ensuring that he's doing his bit for the solidity of the team, while being given free reign to do what he does best when required.

With regards to the EL, granted, there wasn't a great deal of stellar opposition. But you can only beat what is in front of you.

You can only beat what is in front of you, credit is due based on the strength of the opposition you beat, we beat one good team :thup:

My problem is the players aren't given free reign. By his own admission Pardew's 'world' is what happens when his team don't have the ball. Due to this, when we do have the ball the players aren't allowed to move anywhere.

I disagree, quite strongly, with your flippant dismissal of our performance in the EL. Considering the teams we put out, until the latter stages, I still believe we did extremely well to get as far as we did.

In bold, that's quite a confused assumption based on the quote you posted previously. There's no way we're working enough on our attacking shape and movement, but I can't quite get on board with an accusation that he deliberately informs the players to rigidly stick to positions when attacking.

Then we just see completely different things when watching the team, which is  fine. I'm likely to come to confused assumptions, I'm really confused by how he's got good players playing as such a poor team.

ALAN Pardew has challenged his Newcastle United side to reassert their superiority over Sunderland next season.

United suffered their heaviest derby defeat in 34 years on Sunday when they lost 3-0 to Paolo Di Canio’s side at St James’s Park.

It wasn’t just the result which rankled among supporters. The performance was the worst in a Tyne-Wear fixture in decades, with Sunderland having deservedly claimed North East bragging rights, with the two clubs having drawn 1-1 at the Stadium of Light earlier in the season.

Thirteenth-placed Newcastle’s league position – like that of Sunderland – remains precarious.

And Pardew’s team – who face West Bromwich Albion at The Hawthorns on Saturday – must claim at least four points in their remaining five games to stay up.

Beyond that, Pardew’s looking for Newcastle to replicate last season’s strong league campaign whne the club finished fifth and qualified for Europe – and be dominant in the derby fixtures.

“We’ve got to make sure we play well in the last five games – good, solid performances – and next year prove that we’re a bigger and better club in terms of our Premier League position by finishing well above them,” Pardew told the Gazette.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/we-ll-prove-we-re-bigger-than-sunderland-next-season-pardew-1-5586951

He will be in HMV looking for song to play if we the derby game next season.

Dear god :facepalm:

He will be in HMV looking for song to play if we win the derby game next season.

Oh for fucks sake.

Guest neesy111

Defiantly was and amazingly the back bone of it was being tight at the back.  Complete contrast to the league.

Guest neesy111

Bloody hell.

Guest icemanblue

of that i am sure

Then we just see completely different things when watching the team, which is  fine. I'm likely to come to confused assumptions, I'm really confused by how he's got good players playing as such a poor team.

We have different standards, expectations, whatever. That's fine. But, what we can both agree on is that season has, in no way, been anything remotely close to acceptable. It's been nice to have an actual discussion about the finer details of why that is, without the usual bullshit that accompanies me saying anything remotely positive. :thup:

Let's not forget that a deflected goal from Haris Vuckic got us through the qualifying round. :lol:

Also worth pointing out that we didn't play anything like a first team in the EL until Maritimo at home on 22nd November. And even then we went back to the reserves for Bordeaux away. Not one of the squad is in double figures for EL starts this season. The likes of Amalfitano, Tavernier, Ranger and Abeid all got starts. Bigirimana and Obertan are amongst the players we started the most.

Whilst it's admirable that we got so far after playing these sides, the only person at the club that I genuinely believe has suffered from our participation in the Europa League is the manager. Primarily because IMO he's overly concerned with stopping the opposition and taking that time away has meant he's been out of his depth.

He'll get as much credit as he deserves, he got to the Europa League quarter finals, it's not exactly a monumental achievement like.

Guest bimpy474

I know it's a funny thing to say but why doesn't he concentrate on our strengths. I know, that's because he doesn't know what they are, his type of management is to concentrate on the oppositions strengths.

I can't believe with his view on football, that people want that type of manager, and still think he should continue as our manager. I'm baffled at what's in front of you and that you believe it should carry on.

Let's not forget that a deflected goal from Haris Vuckic got us through the qualifying round. :lol:

Also worth pointing out that we didn't play anything like a first team in the EL until Maritimo at home on 22nd November. And even then we went back to the reserves for Bordeaux away. Not one of the squad is in double figures for EL starts this season. The likes of Amalfitano, Tavernier, Ranger and Abeid all got starts. Bigirimana and Obertan are amongst the players we started the most.

Whilst it's admirable that we got so far after playing these sides, the only person at the club that I genuinely believe has suffered from our participation in the Europa League is the manager. Primarily because IMO he's overly concerned with stopping the opposition and taking that time away has meant he's been out of his depth.

Yep, the lack of time to prepare for each game has definitely affected Pardew. I don't know whether to criticise him for that or not really, although I guess it is worse for someone who works so much on preparing for a specific opponent.

On the other hand, it seems to be a generally accepted truth that European football harms teams domestically, except we don't accept it when it applies to us.