Alan Pardew

Dave

Tiote does not pass the ball quick enough to be a Man U player, sure he would do a great job off the ball but on the ball i'm not sure he's good enough for what they require.

As for the whole top 6 thing.... i genuinely believe we have a top 6 team the issue at the moment is the manager is using what he has incorrectly.

Is there 6 better XI's than this?

Krul

Simpson Saylor Colo Santon

Tiote

Cabaye Jonas

Ben Arfa Cisse Ba

I don't believe so.

im not convinced. 

Can't believe he used the 'we were tired from the efforts this week' excuse.

What, the European game? Where we rested almost the entire team?

not to mention we were at home so no traveling involved.

and after an international break a midweek game could well have been beneficial for some players.

Tiote does not pass the ball quick enough to be a Man U player, sure he would do a great job off the ball but on the ball i'm not sure he's good enough for what they require.

As for the whole top 6 thing.... i genuinely believe we have a top 6 team the issue at the moment is the manager is using what he has incorrectly.

Krul

Tiote

Cabaye Jonas

Ben Arfa Cisse Ba

I don't believe so.

im not convinced.

Whose is better? i remind you we finished 5th with that line up last season :lol:

Comparing this team to Bobby's team.

:jesuswept:

it's a fair comparisson to be honest, good in parts, seemingly weak in others that does better than many think it should. (i'd even say, player for player the current team is a better back 4)

Krul

Tiote

Cabaye Jonas

Ben Arfa Cisse Ba

I don't believe so.

im not convinced.

Whose is better? i remind you we finished 5th with that line up last season :lol:

us finishing 5th last season got nothing to do with this season and the same line up you mentioned just answers you own questions. 

fact are most teams around us have strengthened well, where as us, our additional players brought in this season don't even start, and some aren't even trusted to be near making the bench.

You say we're a top six team, so the top four picks itself, leaving Spurs ahead of us just to name another Everton?

maybe you're right.

Does the top 4 pick itself though? the top 3 does for sure but after that i don't think Arsenal and Spurs are comfortably clear of ourselves and Everton.

We are a lot better than we have shown this season i know we are capable of much more sure on current form we are nowhere near the top 6 but as far as individual ability goes and what we are capable of i believe we are.

Does the top 4 pick itself though? the top 3 does for sure but after that i don't think Arsenal and Spurs are comfortably clear of ourselves and Everton.

We are a lot better than we have shown this season i know we are capable of much more sure on current form we are nowhere near the top 6 but as far as individual ability goes and what we are capable of i believe we are.

maybe not pick itself as such in a specific order but what i meant was , there's easily four teams better than us, no?

Comparing this team to Bobby's team.

:jesuswept:

it's a fair comparisson to be honest, good in parts, seemingly weak in others that does better than many think it should. (i'd even say, player for player the current team is a better back 4)

Bobbys team was more balanced, but player for player I think this team is better. Bobby just had a great balance of pace, technique and experience. This team is a bit all over the shop.

Nearly every week something different seems to be going on. There are too many mixed messages and players often look confused and not sure what their actual role is (even in games it changes 2/3 times).

Don't think Pards knows how to get good football out of these players. Seems like a big thing to say but he's been in the job long enough. 80% of our performances this year and last have been hit and miss affairs with wonder moments from certain players dictating results.

Our attacking ideas are so one dimensional it's laughable.

He might have have polished the surface of his image as a manager who works hard and gives a lot of attention to detail and data, but this can't disguise the fact that his overall philosophy still remains direct or "on the front foot" as he calls it.

As others have said, this group of players (as they've shown from time to time) are able to deliver far greater things.

If it continues like this I can see them getting unhappy (the cultured players can't be enjoing it) and thinking about moving on.

Can't believe he used the 'we were tired from the efforts this week' excuse.

What, the European game? Where we rested almost the entire team?

Makes me laugh when managers use the tired excuse,my dad is 54 plays an hour of 5 a side on a wednesday night and a full match on a saturday morning as well as working full time as a brickie.

Some mugs will fall for it.

well my dads a fireman.  :catmag:

Playing wise and in terms of settling into some sort of rythm, I think they are miles ahead of us. We have no concept, just randomly grinding out results and relying heavily on individual brilliance from Ben Arfa, Coloccini, Krul and Ba so far.

I would have though Pardew waited until he had the "right" players available before trying to implement the system he alledgedly wants to play. Apparently, he's resorting to an even more direct football but using the formation he had in mind. Starting Shola at RW yesterday was complete madness and such an undetermined move from him. Going three up front but still using players more suited to the long ball game is a recipe for disaster. He seems undecided.

I think Cissé on his own up fron will prompt us passing the ball better. We simply can't keep lunging balls forward to Cissé. If that's the plan he'll surely go Shola instead. Then we have a real problem.

Guest bimpy474

Curious how Pardew thinks Cisse might kick on after his goal yesterday.

Might help if the team actually made chances for him Alan.

I couldn't believe how he set up yesterday after he's pretty much outright refused to go 4-3-3 with Cisse and Ba all season, instead shoe-horning them together. He had the personnel for a potentially effective 4-4-2 yesterday and went 4-3-3 with Shola and Simpson making up our right side. Absolutely comical management, Mike Bassett-esque.

I don't like how he is suddenly pointing to facts and circumstances are blatantly untrue in his post-match interview.

As some have stated, we could hardly be tired from the EL game as barely anyone remotely important played in that game.

Secondly, "about time we got a break"?

At Everton, they scored two perfectly good goals that were disallowed.

At Reading, Demba scored with his hand to give us a point.

We've had more "breaks" than most teams this season, especially in terms of direct impact on results.

Guest bimpy474

I couldn't believe how he set up yesterday after he's pretty much outright refused to go 4-3-3 with Cisse and Ba all season, instead shoe-horning them together. He had the personnel for a potentially effective 4-4-2 yesterday and went 4-3-3 with Shola and Simpson making up our right side. Absolutely comical management, Mike Bassett-esque.

Yep, Pardew has earnt the right to have time but his selection are baffling. But its the style of play in whatever formation that worries me more.

He is getting a lot of stick for the team selection and tactics and rightly so.  I remember when Fat Sam played Shola out wide away to Arsenal in the cup.  He got crucified for it and it was an absurd decision, the same has to apply to yesterday.  First time we try a type of 4-3-3 at home in the league and we go and play Shola wide right, with Hatem wide left (looks poor there for some reason).

I do however think he deserves a bit of credit for changing it.  He could see it wasn't working, made changes earlier than normal, got his subs spot on and ultimately two of the subs combined to win us the game.  Albeit slightly fortuitously  :lol:

It is fucking irritating that we always look to defend a 1 goal lead, regardless of the opposition or how the game is going though.  The last time I can remember us going for the jugular and totally dominating a team was Stoke at home, before that it was WBA away.  What formation and tactics did we play in those games?  I forget...

I think you get managers who have an idea of how they want a team set up, formations, etc and then encourage/coach/coerce the players to fit into that system.

Other managers look at what they've got and choose a system/style that suits the players at his disposal. Both these attitudes have there merits imo and there have been very successful managers from both schools of thought.

I think Pardew is in the former camp. His problem is that the team isn't really performing the way he wants because they're not best suited to that style. His other (and massive) problem is that i don't think he gets to choose (100%) the players that are bought and sold.

So, i think he's looking at it and is trying to find a system that suits the players he's got. But he's not getting it right (yet). He'll know this better than anyone but to keep the players believing in him he focuses on the positives of the performances