Alan Pardew

Dave

Where were we in this table last year, with those players key components?

67 long balls per game last season.  Pretty close to what we were hittting before the new year.

Course, people don't complain about it while we're winning.

Well you're wrong there. It's more accurate to say that people get laughed at for complaining while we're winning. Now we're losing.

Were you unhappy last season, Dave? The numbers of people who were are growing by the day.

Not really, but I was concerned that it wasn't sustainable. Might dig some posts out later. ;)

I hoped that with better players our football would improve accordingly, but it's somehow gone the other way. Pardew was fucked over in the summer but I still don't think he's been nearly good enough.

67 long balls per game last season.  Pretty close to what we were hittting before the new year.

Well you're wrong there. It's more accurate to say that people get laughed at for complaining while we're winning. Now we're losing.

People did complain about it last season.

True.  I got a load of shit for complaining about it :D

What I should have said is people don't want him sacked for it then.

That's because it would have been absurd to sack a manager when the team is getting the results. But even then there were plenty here who saw past it and voiced concerns which have turned out to be justified.

Never knew Happy Face posted here man :lol:

Here is a quote of his from Toontastic 

When I see us passing and keeping posession and probing like in the first half [vs. West Brom] I think that's what Pardew has spent the week drilling them with.  When I see us twating the ball out of defense I think that's the players getting tired and desparate and ignoring what they've been told.  When I see shola coming on I think Pardew is trying to get those balls to stick and stop it being wave after wave of attack.

Guest icemanblue

Were you unhappy last season, Dave? The numbers of people who were are growing by the day.

Not really, but I was concerned that it wasn't sustainable. Might dig some posts out later. ;)

I hoped that with better players our football would improve accordingly, but it's somehow gone the other way. Pardew was fucked over in the summer but I still don't think he's been nearly good enough.

Fair play, can't say I was concerened at all. It was a genuine question, no need to provide posts, like. Agree with the rest, though.

We definitely pass a lot more now, mainly in our own half. Once we reach the penalty area we usually lob one in towards the striker who is the only one in the vicinity usually. I'm not sur if that's on your stats there but it's what we usually see.

Think that's reflected in the bulk of investment being at the back (Debuchy and Mbiwa).  Cisse is the only striker at the club that's good enough at the moment really, Need another one of a standard higher than Best, Ranger, Shola, Kuqi, Pancrate etc.

Guest firetotheworks

People seem to forget that people did complain last season. Doesn't "We're 7th/6th/5th man!" ring any bells?

When I see us passing and keeping posession and probing like in the first half [vs. West Brom] I think that's what Pardew has spent the week drilling them with.  When I see us twating the ball out of defense I think that's the players getting tired and desparate and ignoring what they've been told.  When I see shola coming on I think Pardew is trying to get those balls to stick and stop it being wave after wave of attack.

Was a regular years back.  Just when the mood strikes these days.  Usually to defend Pardew against unfair criticism or criticise Ashley when he's being praised.

Who are you like?  :laugh:

Was a regular years back.  Just when the mood strikes these days.  Usually to defend Pardew against unfair criticism or criticise Ashley when he's being praised.

Who are you like?  :laugh:

Still updating that blog? Was quality. :lol:

I only post here, I looked at some other forums in the last few days to gauge the opinion of other NUFC fans.

That post caught my eye :lol:

That post is spot on man.

Did you gauge opinion during the first half?  Everyone was saying "more of this please". 

We created several chances to score and it was the players to blame for not putting them away, not Pardew.

We definitely pass a lot more now, mainly in our own half. Once we reach the penalty area we usually lob one in towards the striker who is the only one in the vicinity usually. I'm not sur if that's on your stats there but it's what we usually see.

Think that's reflected in the bulk of investment being at the back (Debuchy and Mbiwa).  Cisse is the only striker at the club that's good enough at the moment really, Need another one of a standard higher than Best, Ranger, Shola, Kuqi, Pancrate etc.

Lots of clubs only use one forward in any case. I don't think that's a valid reason for poor football in other areas.

I only post here, I looked at some other forums in the last few days to gauge the opinion of other NUFC fans.

Did you gauge opinion during the first half?  Everyone was saying "more of this please". 

We created several chances to score and it was the players to blame for not putting them away, not Pardew.

Even if the players are getting tired and desperate.....wouldn't it be down to the manager to make sure that doesn't happen?

Lots of clubs only use one forward in any case. I don't think that's a valid reason for poor football in other areas.

Confused, thought you were saying we have played good football up to the opposition box, but resort to lobbing it in. 

There's teams with target men, but Cisse isn't that.  There's teams with goalscoring midfielders that like to make an off the ball run into the box, but we don't seem to have that, we have jinxy midfielders like Ben Arfa and Marveaux who prefer to supply or dribble into the box themselves.

I think we need a couple of strikers making runs off each other to make space for through balls, our lone fella gets easily marked out of the game....or has to rely on making a run from deep...and more often than not, getting called offside.

All that said like, when we had Ba we never played two up top.  Pardew would insist on hoying Cisse on the right.

Even if the players are getting tired and desperate.....wouldn't it be down to the manager to make sure that doesn't happen?

:lol:

He should be in the lab working on an elixr.

People did complain about it last season.

True.  I got a load of s*** for complaining about it :D

What I should have said is people don't want him sacked for it then.

That's because it would have been absurd to sack a manager when the team is getting the results. But even then there were plenty here who saw past it and voiced concerns which have turned out to be justified.

I was one of them.  And I'm smug about it too *straightens his tie*

I remember the ones that saw though the bullshit and criticised Pardew were shot down by turds on here.

There were specific turds on here claiming we were silly to want to play a more passing type in the mould of Swansea and such.  Seeing they were below us and everything they refused to see it our ways and just got brought into the Pardew salesman bullcrap. 

I was shocked even then by the reactions, it was so obvious.

I was one of them.  And I'm smug about it too *straightens his tie*

I remember the ones that saw though the bullshit and criticised Pardew were shot down by turds on here.

There were specific turds on here claiming we were silly to want to play a more passing type in the mould of Swansea and such.  Seeing they were below us and everything they refused to see it our ways and got brought into the Pardew salesman bullcrap.

You don't think Pardew could have been getting the best out of the players he had at his disposal?

I think in doing that he bought himself the opportunity to see if he can do it with the better players we bought in January.  Once they're up to the pace of the game and understanding starts to build I like to think performances will come.

Confused, thought you were saying we have played good football up to the opposition box, but resort to lobbing it in. 

There's teams with lone target men, but Cisse isn't that.  There's teams with goalscoring midfielders that like to make an off the ball run into the box, but we don't seem to have that, we have jinxy midfielders like Ben Arfa and Marveaux who prefer to supply or dribble into the box themselves.

I think we need a couple of strikers making runs off each other to make space for through balls, our lone fella gets easily marked out of the game....or has to rely on making a run from deep...and more often than not, getting called offside.

All that said like, when we had Ba we never played two up top.  Pardew would insist on hoying Cisse on the right.

I was going to mention that as well, even when we had Ba we still didn't really do what you are proposing. Also, I didn't say we played good football up to the penalty area, I said we passed it about mostly in our own half. To expand, all our midfielders tend to sit deep and pass the ball backwards and forwards up to the halfway line. There isn't enough movement forward of that to attack teams in numbers, hence we get the ball lobbed forward in Cisse's general direction.

Guest Dontooner

Don't think the problem is in the striking department, i think is more how we are setup to play.

I reckon if we had the big physical players here Nolan Carrol Barton Etc we would be higher up the table.

The problem is Pardew Prefers the direct style and big man that are good at shielding,trapping,heading balls are key to his 1990's style. The preference to Ba and Shola in many of his decisions is prove of his style.

The Truth that we have to handle is , Pardew doesnt play sexy on the turf carpet football(Probably not intelligent enough to make one anyway). The contrast of the players we currently have is contradicting to his style, that alone is a good measurement to give him the sack.

We have look good for parts last season , it was really down to some of Ben Arfa brilliant football. He is a player that creates alot of space for us and his range of passes into the middle of the park releases some of our other players. Without him Pardew teams are more direct even with Marvx involvement, this however means we are relying on one single player to define a more expansive style which is not sustainable.

We need a manager like Steve Clarke ,Jol, any Keegan type that drills passing routines into their inferior players, they are not afraid to hold onto the ball and make a pass out because they know where their teammates are and trust one another.

The real problem is the mismatch in the Manager style and the players talents , do we wait 8 years for Pardew to turn Pep G. and let players come and go. Or do we find another manager that can make these players play thier more natural game which is more suited to short passes and movement rather than. NHL stuff.

:lol:

He should be in the lab working on an elixr.

Seriously? if the players are unfit then there is clearly a problem with how train and that is down to the manager.

It's not a coincidence we have so many hamstring injuries and other pulls, you don't get those through being unlucky you get that by poor preparation.

There is nothing magic about it, why do you think the big clubs get few injuries that are related to hamstrings and the like?

Because they prepare properly, if these consistent hamstring injuries are anything to go by we obviously don't.

I just want to add that one of the reasons there is very little support for the striker is that Pardew tends to pick very defensive midfields. Cabaye is usually deployed deep behind Tiote and Jonas is picked for his defensive attributes only. That's why we end up with a massive gap between the midfield and forwards, and this is due to the way Pardew lines them up.