Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I honestly wish we didn't have our 5th place finish last year because not hearing every single delusional idiot bleat on about how we should be challenging for the CL, how we should be be at least 6th every year or worse yet hear how much of a massive club we are was a godsend. We're ahead of schedule. We didn't expect to be here last year. We shouldn't feel so god damn entitled that after one good season we should be expecting to be challenging for the CL. Why must every time we even have a whiff of good fortune everyone tries to get the club to run before it can walk. I've been around the block with this club too many times to know what happens when we try to move up.from our station too quickly. We always fail. Spectacularly. But if you insist on making a buffoon of yourself at least talk to the Sky cameras, they always love showing a delusional Geordie with ideas above his station.

Are you from the Midlands or London?

I honestly wish we didn't have our 5th place finish last year because not hearing every single delusional idiot bleat on about how we should be challenging for the CL, how we should be be at least 6th every year or worse yet hear how much of a massive club we are was a godsend. We're ahead of schedule. We didn't expect to be here last year. We shouldn't feel so god damn entitled that after one good season we should be expecting to be challenging for the CL. Why must every time we even have a whiff of good fortune everyone tries to get the club to run before it can walk. I've been around the block with this club too many times to know what happens when we try to move up.from our station too quickly. We always fail. Spectacularly. But if you insist on making a buffoon of yourself at least talk to the Sky cameras, they always love showing a delusional Geordie with ideas above his station.

Are you from the Midlands or London?

:lol:

So that is us done then? Never really had any interest in strengthening the first team, just to get by on cheap players to bolster squad after a couple walked away for free. Anita brought in to cover either a Tiote or Cabaye sale, maybe even both if the price is right. We were looking at Carroll due to the option of a loan, but went quiet once we knew we could only buy, and really that interest only stemmed from the potential sale of Ba and his low release clause. The lack of bids for Simpson means the club aren't going to push for Debuchy and now Taylor is fit we don't need Douglas, especially after forking out on Good.

Think that's about as miserable a spin i can put on this window.

So that is us done then? Never really had any interest in strengthening the first team, just to get by on cheap players to bolster squad after a couple walked away for free. Anita brought in to cover either a Tiote or Cabaye sale, maybe even both if the price is right. We were looking at Carroll due to the option of a loan, but went quiet once we knew we could only buy, and really that interest only stemmed from the potential sale of Ba and his low release clause. The lack of bids for Simpson means the club aren't going to push for Debuchy and now Taylor is fit we don't need Douglas, especially after forking out on Good.

Think that's about as miserable a spin i can put on this window.

O0 I nearly topped myself I must admit :lol:

We are led to believe that we put in offers for De Jong and Debuchy a few weeks ago which were turned down so it seems we were prepared to spend £15m early in the transfer window before we knew that Ba was staying and without selling a "big" name.  I wonder whether we were convinced that we would be selling someone to fund purchases and the fact that hasn't happened as yet has made us hesitant about putting in further offers. 

Although wanting our current players to stay, I do not agree with the idea that the window will have been a success if no one else leaves.  Pardew has started talking about challenging for the top 4 albeit as one of the chasing pack which he never did last season.  There were weaknesses in the squad last year which have not been addressed at this stage and we are even more dependent on the first 11 staying fit and maintaining their form (once they find it!).  At the same time, most of out supposed rivals look to be strengthening.  I think the players too will feel let down as they are ambitious and want to see the club continuing to move forward and at the moment, it seems to me as if we are happy to stand still.

However, hopefully a lot is going on behind the scenes so that we can move quickly and that any business is done before Friday.  Can't bear the thought of that Sky puppet having his strings pulled by Llambias to keep us all on tenterhooks thoughout Friday to be ultimately disappointed at the end of the day.

I said a few weeks ago (so it's not a knee-jerk reaction) that we could do with a quality winger despite the holes in our squad in defence and up front.

Gutierrez looks more effective in the centre these days, and while I rate him as a key player for us, assists and goals are not his forte. Marveaux has not been injury-free for years, and we know all about Obertan's limitations. It means all the pressure rests on Ben Arfa's shoulders. We had a problem creating chances for much of last season despite finishing 5th, we were fortunate to have two strikers who had excellent spells where they were very clinical and we won a lot of even games because of better finishing. Tottenham last week was not so different. We rarely opened teams up and put them to the sword, even the weaker teams in the league.

In Jonas, Ben Arfa, Marveaux and Obertan we have 4 wingers which numerically is enough, so you could argue there is no justification to invest here. But I would say there are huge question marks over Marveaux and Obertan, and Jonas has looked very good central in a midfield three as he showed against Spurs. I would move on one of Marveaux or Obertan and replace them with a winger of first team quality, or at least a player who can change a game from the bench. Adam Johnson would have been an excellent signing in my view and I was disappointed to see him end up at the mackems.

Looking across our bench on Saturday against Chelsea, you could see we had nobody who could change the game or the way we play. Raylor for Simpson, Perch for Cabaye, Marveaux for Santon.

I realise it almost certainly won't happen because we need to replace Simpson or sign him up to a new deal, and we desperately need another forward. Seeing as we tend to play 4-3-3 and seeing as we need a striker, then a forward comfortable in that wide left (or wide right) role could fit the bill perfectly and allow us to play different systems, keep teams guessing and also keep Ba and Cisse on their toes (which Ameobi will never do). It is good that Pardew knows what his best XI is as not all managers do, but with the players he has he doesn't really have much scope to change the system if it is not working or when teams figure out how to stop us which in time they will unless we have options. There are some arguing that we finished 5th last season and therefore we don't need to change but I disagree, it's an unforgiving league for teams who stand still. I am not suggesting Freddy Shepherd transfers but there is a medium between that and giving your manager next to nothing.

Well said - you can never have too much creativity in your squad and looking at ours I think we're too dependent on Ben Arfa to provide that, particularly from wide areas. Also doesn't help that Cisse and Ba aren't really creators at all or that Jonas has lost a bit of pace and looks more comfortable in the middle. In the 4-4-2 we have a problem with the deep midfield not linking with the strikers so Jonas would be a natural player to look and upgrade on. Though the most logical approach for me would be to try and get that sort of creativity by looking for a wide forward to fit into a 4-3-3...

Amalfitano looks promising but early days for him, think he will come to the fore more in the 2nd half of the season.

My thoughts on this summer's transfer window is that it has been pretty shit and disappointing. I feel stupid for even having the slightest of hope that Ashley would show some glimmer of muscles and ambition.

Going to wait until Saturday morning before I offer my proper opinion on this window. Anxious and nervous at the moment but that could very well change with a couple of additions by 11pm on Friday.

Leffe's post and knowing a lot of Arsenal fans really screams 'the grass isn't always greener..' none of them are happy with this window but we obviously see them as having progressed massively while we have fallen far behind.

A large part of the reason I'm (currently) annoyed is exactly that. Arsenal and Tottenham have, so far, had a bad/average summer and we could have sent a massive message to them by plugging the few holes in our team/squad.

4th position is so, so achievable.

Can't remember anyone plugging this 'extra year's experience' line before. Nearly all of the first team are bang in their prime.

So Krul, Santon, Perch, Cabaye, Cisse + the youngsters like Tavernier, Sammy, Vuckic, Abeid and Ferguson won't be a little more developed in their premiership careers?

It's like foreign players and youngster settling in is some sort of myth I have made up, sorry :(

Ben Arfa, Santon, Krul, Cabaye, Perch, Cisse technically should all have benefited from a season, or half of a season in the Premierhsip, the same applies for our youngsters (who should play more of a part this year) so I think the years experience could be pretty big. Obviously it's not always the case like.

Can't remember anyone plugging this 'extra year's experience' line before. Nearly all of the first team are bang in their prime.

So Krul, Santon, Perch, Cabaye, Cisse + the youngsters like Tavernier, Sammy, Vuckic, Abeid and Ferguson won't be a little more developed in their premiership careers?

It's like foreign players and youngster settling in is some sort of myth I have made up, sorry :(

I mentioned the first team, so all those youngsters are kinda irrelevent to my point. I also excepted a couple - Krul and Santon. Krul's been in this country ages anyway like. Can Cabaye and Cisse perform any better than they did last year? Unlikely, hopefully they'll be as consistent as they have been to date but asking for more seems like a stretch. It's not like they struggled to begin with is it?

I stand by my point, I don't think I've ever heard it being argued before. The players from every other team also gain experience btw, we're not unique in this. :lol:

Despite being in this country for ages surely a years playing is much more important to a players development.

I think Cabaye and Marveaux can improve tbh, it's not like we haven't seen it before.

People like Perch will come on leaps and bounds too. Also fair enough you mentioning first teamers but as a squad I think it is worthwhile mentioning the youth being better with that extra experience :dontknow:

Cabaye's got a lot more in his locker IMO. Was up and down last year.

We saw the best of him when he played further up the pitch. If Pardew allows this then we'll see the best of him consistently.

Cabaye is just like Ben Arfa for me, give him more creative freedom and he will shine.

Atm both of them have too many defensive responsibility's to really fulfill their true attacking potential for the team.

I think it's great that Cabaye was number 1 in tackles made last season but it's not what he should be doing for the team IMO.

I mentioned the first team, so all those youngsters are kinda irrelevent to my point. I also excepted a couple - Krul and Santon. Krul's been in this country ages anyway like. Can Cabaye and Cisse perform any better than they did last year? Unlikely, hopefully they'll be as consistent as they have been to date but asking for more seems like a stretch. It's not like they struggled to begin with is it?

I stand by my point, I don't think I've ever heard it being argued before. The players from every other team also gain experience btw, we're not unique in this. :lol:

Also on this point, a couple of the teams around us (Spurs and Arsenal) have lost their best players so it's not unlikely they are going to be significantly weakened unless their new signings instantly perform as well as those as they replaced where as we have lost squad players?