Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lille president Michel Seydoux said: "Our price is £6m, because he is a quality player and we need to find a good replacement in the transfer market."

That's a quote from the mirror.

and Debuchy was quoted as saying him he was given contradictory reasons why he couldn't leave :dontknow:

Because the player himself said they gave him contradictory reasons as to why he can't leave? Surely if it was just us not offering enough they wouldn't have to change their story? ???

How do you know what Debuchy meant?  They may have used the fee as the last reason for all you know.  The only thing we do know for sure is that we didn't meet his clubs valuation of him.

Guest bimpy474

We will be making a profit next season if we finish poorly this. Players will want to leave. January will be very interesting.

The club are willing to wait for players to get them at the right price. If we finish lower, it is of no consequence to Mike Ashley.

Making profits on players goes above everything else. We risked going out of Europe to preserve the fitness of potential sales.

We have sold one player for a profit who wasn't even bought to sell, we have sold or released a few others at a loss too, someone needs to remind Ashley to flog these players on for a profit because he is desperately shit at it so far given it's his objective.

The Debuchy one does annoy me.  If Lille had been demanding crazy money for him then i'd fully support the club in walkng away but their price was very reasonable.  We lost the chance to signiificantly improve the weakest part of our side because they seemed to want to take the p*ss and get a bargain.

No-one knows how much Lille want. We do know from what the player has said though, they've moved the goal posts.

There's just as much chance of us knowing exactly what they want, we've made at least two bids as of five weeks ago. If they've moved the goalposts now, why won't they do the same in January? If we fail to get him then, will it be acceptable to hang on until next summer? If they've made it impossible for us to buy him, what's stopping the club telling us so?

I f***ing refuse to believe there's absolutely nobody else out there that we could have got instead. Pardew has repeatedly told the fans on and off the record that we have two or three ideas for each target.

Can think of Debuchy, Van der wiel & Clyne off hand. Thats only a few reported. If Clyne was an option its going to be difficult to bid for your 2nd/3rd choice like Clyne if you strongly believe your first is going to join.

I think if he was as low as £6m, he wouldn't be at Lille now, whether that be at Newcastle, Bayern Munich or whoever. I think once they didn't sign a first-team full-back themselves, they decided to keep him at least through the Champions League group. I think we'll be back in and sign him then.

Who has bid £6 million for him? 

Because the player himself said they gave him contradictory reasons as to why he can't leave? Surely if it was just us not offering enough they wouldn't have to change their story? ???

How do you know what Debucky meant?  They may have used the fee as the last reason for all you know.  The only thing we do know for sure is that we didn't meet his clubs valuation of him.

What? He came out and said he was given contradictory reasons why he couldn't leave, what does it matter what he was reason he was given last? ???

Isn't it clear what he meant when he said it?

The club are willing to wait for players to get them at the right price. If we finish lower, it is of no consequence to Mike Ashley.

Making profits on players goes above everything else. We risked going out of Europe to preserve the fitness of potential sales.

We have sold one player for a profit who wasn't even bought to sell, we have sold or released a few others at a loss too, someone needs to remind Ashley to flog these players on for a profit because he is desperately shit at it so far given it's his objective.

Retailers often sell remaining stock at a loss to get rid.

I think if he was as low as £6m, he wouldn't be at Lille now, whether that be at Newcastle, Bayern Munich or whoever. I think once they didn't sign a first-team full-back themselves, they decided to keep him at least through the Champions League group. I think we'll be back in and sign him then.

If he was available for that this summer, why hasn't someone bid that?

Can think of Debuchy, Van der wiel & Clyne off hand. Thats only a few reported. If Clyne was an option its going to be difficult to bid for your 2nd/3rd choice like Clyne if you strongly believe your first is going to join.

Why would we believe our first choice was going to join when we'd had bids turned down?

If Cisse was available for £9m in January, why didn't anyone else bid that?

I think it was reported that Bayern & Sunderland did, didn't they?

Why? What will have changed?

What changed in 4 months with Cisse?

They'll have had their Champions League come January.

I don't know what changed with Cisse. Different player and different club so not relevant.

Won't Lille want to challenge for the CL for the following season? Won't they find it harder and more expensive to sign a replacement in January? Why would they be wiling to disrupt their season half way through by losing one of their better players?

They normally sell the odd thing at a profit though, one player in 5 years seems pretty poor considering how much we paid for our better players. Surely we could get at least three times what we paid for Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa etc..?

The longer we hold on to them and have to pay them the profit must be being hammered away at?

And it's been reported that Real Madrid and Inter have bid for Debuchy. Means absolutely fuck all. If we want him, we could get him.

Why would we believe our firstchoice was going to join when we'd had bids turned down?

Well the players are generally known to have the power & he stated he wanted to leave. That put us in a strong position. We'd still be in a strong position had he kicked up a fuss instead of them seemingly convincing him to stay there and remain happy even assumedly with Cabaye in his other ear.

And it's been reported that Real Madrid and Inter have bid for Debuchy. Means absolutely f*** all. If we want him, we could get him.

They possibly have, been told same as us, and thought nah.

What? He came out and said he was given contradictory reasons why he couldn't leave, what does it matter what he was reason he was given last? ???

A fee was quoted and we didn't match it, how do you know that wasn't the last reason given to Debuchy?

Why? What will have changed?

What changed in 4 months with Cisse?

They'll have had their Champions League come January.

I don't know what changed with Cisse. Different player and different club so not relevant.

Won't Lille want to challenge for the CL for the following season? Won't they find it harder and more expensive to sign a replacement in January? Why would they be wiling to disrupt their season half way through by losing one of their better players?

After being scorched by the Cabaye deal they wanted hefty sell on clause...This imo was the main issue at the end.

And it's been reported that Real Madrid and Inter have bid for Debuchy. Means absolutely f*** all. If we want him, we could get him.

This is going nowhere.

Facts:

1. We want Debuchy.

2. Debuchy wants to join NUFC.

3. We can afford to buy Debuchy.

4. We're not buying Debuchy.

5. I'm not fucking happy about 4.

They normally sell the odd thing at a profit though, one player in 5 years seems pretty poor considering how much we paid for our better players. Surely we could get at least three times what we paid for Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa etc..?

The longer we hold on to them and have to pay them the profit must be being hammered away at?

I guess. But they're still mid twenties and on longish contracts. No panic to sell them.

And it's been reported that Real Madrid and Inter have bid for Debuchy. Means absolutely fuck all. If we want him, we could get him.

Their chariman now denies that Real made and offer.

This is going nowhere.

Facts:

1. We want Debuchy.

2. Debuchy wants to join NUFC.

3. We can afford to buy Debuchy.

4. We're not buying Debuchy.

5. I'm not fucking happy about 4.

see above Dave.

A fee was quoted and we didn't match it, how do you know that wasn't the last reason given to Debuchy?

Still not sure why the last thing he was told matters. Obviously he felt something wasn't right which is why he told the press he was being given contradictory information, is that something players normally do?

The club also said they won't let him leave until they had his replacement, they signed a right back but said he was too young to be his replacement, they didn't sign anyone else so I am not sure how it's obvious we didn't match their bid.

If they said themselves he won't leave until he is replaced and they didn't him why are some so certain he didn't leave because we refused to pay £500k-£1m?