Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

If anyone had suggested at the end of last season that we wouldn't sign a single player this summer to improve the existing first team they'd have been absolutely slaughtered by the same people who are now claiming it's not a big problem. In fact that probably happened.

:thup:

Guest bimpy474

If anyone had suggested at the end of last season that we wouldn't sign a single player this summer to improve the existing first team they'd have been absolutely slaughtered by the same people who are now claiming it's not a big problem. In fact that probably happened.

Agree with this.

If we play 4-3-3 then Anita was a pretty big signing. However, I'm now pretty sure he was brought in to allow for potential bids for Cabaye or, more likely, Tiote. We also thought Simpson would be gone (Debuchy) and that Ba might be sold (De Jong and others).

I didn't believe any of this even a few days ago, but definitely seems to be the most logical explanation.

True to a certain extent, but it depends. The only real possibility for upgrading the first team was RB.

I think if anyone had said we won't sign an improvement on Krul, Santon, Taylor, Cabaye, Tiote, Jonas, Ben Arfa, Ba or Cisse then that would have been pretty much accepted, no?

It was challengers and depth we were after, except for RB.

The difference is that some can see the writing on the wall as the transfer window is nearer the end.

So instead of whine like bitches, some try to find some positive view at the situation. Just so not the whole forum is on suicide watch tonight.

Everyone wants new signings, but when it does not happen we have to accept it. I am totally underwhelmed, but not surprised.

Anita, Amafitano looks promising. HBA a full season. Saylor back. Marveaux back. Look forward to this season tbh. Nothing i can do to get Ashley to spend more.

Get this window over, and let people get the blood pressure back in control.

Firstly, I'm fairly sure Anita has been signed to play in the first team so that statement is probably inaccurate to start with. Secondly, while I've already said I'm disappointed we didn't get a genuine quality full back through the door, I'm not about to slaughter anyone at the club. I was far angrier last season when we failed to sign a second striker.

Guest Vinkent

Seemed like it would be a promising window. Pleased with the outgoing lot, pleased with the prospects for the future we obtained but disappointed at lack of cover for first team which has been the case for years (esp in defence). The club seem to make it tough on themselves when it comes to periods in the season when players inevitably get injured. Even a few average signings (loan or permanent) here or there could pick up us a few extra points that we may miss out on. Don't know whether to blame MA being too stingy to spend a bit for a safety net for the team or whether to blame the transfer market (could be stupid figures being asked for average players).

i'm more frustrated at the unwillingness to consider loan moves than i am with the lack of permanent transfers

i understand the clubs approach in not wanting to pay over the odds or pay for players they don't want on the books as a panic reaction to not getting top targets but with the people we know have been shifted off the wage bill and only anita signed there has to be room for that money to be allocated to loan fees and wages for the season for a top quality loan or two

i'd have taken park from arsenal, for example

The clubs policy has worked up until this point and I for one am glad we're not just signing anybody on silly fees/wages as we're seeing with some other clubs. We might get lucky with injuries but the proof will be in the pudding of the volume of games........we haven't strengthened where we needed to and we're only a few injuries away from a crisis in some areas. I feel we've missed the boat to back up the momentum gained last season.

Considering the amount we've shifted off the wage bill a net spend of 3m up until this point simply isn't good enough but to be honest I'm not that wound up as I'm not really that surprised. The club has it's stance on signings/transfers and its not about to change.

It's pretty pathetic using the disappointing transfer window for point-scoring amongst the club's fans on this forum. It's a f***ing football forum. Have a debate by all means, but there's no need for the fans to be polarized like it's a matter of life and death. Some people need to grow up.

We're all here to support the club, good window or bad window. Just accept things for what they are, and enjoy the football. What matters is that we play well and get 3 points on Sunday.

I’m fairly disappointed with how the window has gone. While not hating Simpson to the same extent as a few posters on this forum right back was the obvious position for us to improve. Other than that, with Steven Taylor fit our starting eleven looks good.

However in my opinion with the increased number of games we’re going to be playing we need a bigger squad. If we are unlucky enough to see Senegal beat the Ivory Coast for ACoN qualification our strikers will be Shola, Sammy, Campbell and Obertan and Vuckic playing out of position.

We look well stocked in midfield but beyond Cabaye, Anita and Tiote our players are kids/ unproven/ have not impressed thus far. I was really disappointed that we lost Guthrie, he would have been perfect to have in our squad this season. Reliable against weaker opposition but also good enough to start against the better teams we will face in the Europa League and Cup matches.

Defensively we are ok as long as Perch doesn’t get injured as he will provide cover for both full back and centre back positions. One long term injury however and we’re relying on Anita at full back (to be fair I haven’t got a clue how well he’s played in this position at his previous club, could be excellent) or Tavernier / Ferguson. Ryan Taylor’s injury was a kick in the balls. Centre back Willow is decent.

Keeper wise, I don’t know about anyone else but I was seriously worried Krul would be sent off last night leaving us with Elliot (unproven/ a bit rubbish) or Harper (old) for the Europa League games.

As for ambition, I thought Newcastle United’s ambition was to attempt to break into the top four, with the first eleven we have it wouldn’t have taken Chelsea/Man City money to do this. We almost did it last year, we were two wins away (I think, can’t be arsed to check for the pedants).

This season a lot of teams have improved, some drastically. Swansea and Fulham have made some great signings. QPR have made so many signings that they have also done well with a few of them. Man U, Everton, Sunderland have all strengthened. Tottenham have maybe stayed around the same level with the only top level club looking weaker at the moment being Arsenal. Overall the games this season will be a lot tougher. We have kept our squad together which is great, but I can’t see us doing as well.

I’m fairly disappointed with how the window has gone. While not hating Simpson to the same extent as a few posters on this forum right back was the obvious position for us to improve. Other than that, with Steven Taylor fit our starting eleven looks good.

However in my opinion with the increased number of games we’re going to be playing we need a bigger squad. If we are unlucky enough to see Senegal beat the Ivory Coast for ACoN qualification our strikers will be Shola, Sammy, Campbell and Obertan and Vuckic playing out of position.

We look well stocked in midfield but beyond Cabaye, Anita and Tiote our players are kids/ unproven/ have not impressed thus far. I was really disappointed that we lost Guthrie, he would have been perfect to have in our squad this season. Reliable against weaker opposition but also good enough to start against the better teams we will face in the Europa League and Cup matches.

Defensively we are ok as long as Perch doesn’t get injured as he will provide cover for both full back and centre back positions. One long term injury however and we’re relying on Anita at full back (to be fair I haven’t got a clue how well he’s played in this position at his previous club, could be excellent) or Tavernier / Ferguson. Ryan Taylor’s injury was a kick in the balls. Centre back Willow is decent.

Keeper wise, I don’t know about anyone else but I was seriously worried Krul would be sent off last night leaving us with Elliot (unproven/ a bit rubbish) or Harper (old) for the Europa League games.

As for ambition, I thought Newcastle United’s ambition was to attempt to break into the top four, with the first eleven we have it wouldn’t have taken Chelsea/Man City money to do this. We almost did it last year, we were two wins away (I think, can’t be arsed to check for the pedants).

This season a lot of teams have improved, some drastically. Swansea and Fulham have made some great signings. QPR have made so many signings that they have also done well with a few of them. Man U, Everton, Sunderland have all strengthened. Tottenham have maybe stayed around the same level with the only top level club looking weaker at the moment being Arsenal. Overall the games this season will be a lot tougher. We have kept our squad together which is great, but I can’t see us doing as well.

I agree with most of that but cba to type it myself.

Disagreement parts:

1) never thought the owners of NUFC had ambitions for 4th, they want as high as they can get in the PL at the right price. I'm hoping the ambition is not buy for 5m-8m, sell for 14m-20m until the end of time. I'm hoping we move that to bigger numbers + thus better players, and thus better finishes. But I reckon it'll need consecutive years of solid finishes, and a lot of luck.

2) I believe Tottenham have got a lot worse. Though by the looks of it that could all change by the end of the day. Also I don't think that QPR are relevant to us at all. They've got a lot of players, plenty who will inevitably get in a huff when they're not first team. They've got an angry manager, who will see them to 12th/13th place. Everton is the only side I really fear making our lives difficult, as well as the potential of a bindipper resurgence.

Otherwise, I'm with you. Just a bit despondent. Was expecting minimal moves, but I think with 1 more decent sized signing  (Debuchy) & a couple of backups, all would be a lot rosier

I agree with most of that but cba to type it myself.

Disagreement parts:

1) never thought the owners of NUFC had ambitions for 4th, they want as high as they can get in the PL at the right price. I'm hoping the ambition is not buy for 5m-8m, sell for 14m-20m until the end of time. I'm hoping we move that to bigger numbers + thus better players, and thus better finishes. But I reckon it'll need consecutive years of solid finishes, and a lot of luck.

2) I believe Tottenham have got a lot worse. Though by the looks of it that could all change by the end of the day. Also I don't think that QPR are relevant to us at all. They've got a lot of players, plenty who will inevitably get in a huff when they're not first team. They've got an angry manager, who will see them to 12th/13th place. Everton is the only side I really fear making our lives difficult, as well as the potential of a bindipper resurgence.

Otherwise, I'm with you. Just a bit despondent. Was expecting minimal moves, but I think with 1 more decent sized signing  (Debuchy) & a couple of backups, all would be a lot rosier

1. Fair point, I guess it’s more the fans (or at least my) ambition then. It’s just that we’ve got a good team here, and we were so close last season. I can’t see us getting another chance like this as Liverpool will undoubtedly spend their way to 4th eventually.

2. Tottenham could go either way this season, just don’t know with AVB. But they are linked with a lot of players atm. Will have to judge them at the end of today. My point with QPR is that overall this season will be more difficult with a lot of teams strengthening.

But yeah, I would be a lot happier Debuchy in.

This summer just seems like it would have been the best opportunity the club could have hoped for to solidify itself as a regular contender for the spots in Europe. We may be able to do that anyway, but the fact that we now have an additional competition to contend with makes it that much harder. Why not shell out a little to help guard against backslide? Even thinking in terms of finance rather than football, that seems like the best approach.

Absolutely detest wanting players in being described as "negativity".

It's the complete opposite of that, it's wanting the team to improve. Hindu, you're always saying "I just like watching us play" - so why offer views on the window if you're actually not that bothered about us pushing on? That's as negative a view as you can have IMO.

Personally I like watching us win more than play.

:lol: Well obviously I do too, but I have no reason to believe that we won't continue where we finished last season, and potentially push on. I had the same conversation with you on September 1st 2011 Wullie (when we didn't sign a striker and some posters were going off on one), and my opinion hasn't changed. We have a good team, potentially the best starting 11 we've had in donkey's years. I said then that we could push for top 7 (you rubbished that possibility). I still think we can push for top 5 or 6 this season. I have no problem with people wanting us to show ambition... I do too... but I do have a problem when it turns into another opportunity to have a go at the board, when in reality, this club has come on leaps and bounds in the last three years and they have demonstrated that they actually know what they're doing. If they think we can get the players in in January for a better deal, or someone better will be available then, then I am willing to trust them on that. If I was the manager, I'd of course have wanted a RB and ST in, but I also don't think it is as ludicrous a decision not to.

It could actually be the making of some of our youngsters.

Always looking on the bright side me :lol:

ps. almost word for word what Ian said.

Actually the conversation we had was that you thought we could finish between 7th and 10th, and I said that was pretty unacceptable and that we should aim for higher - optimism.

What you do is peddle what is ultimately a very negative outlook, that we should shut up, accept what we've got and don't demand improvement.

We obviously don't 'do' squad depth. We're clearly a buy-to-sell side. I know we invested last summer, but would Cabaye/Marveux have come in if Nolan and Barton hadn't left? It's doubtful imo.

You only have to look at their comments over the last few days, anybody could tell you that man. "We're not signing anyone but hopefully someone will bid big for Mike Williamson. Bidding starts at 20 casquillion, lads!"