Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't buy this "we can't compete with the top" loser attitude, it annoys the f*** out of me. Yes, we cant compete with them when it comes to spending as much money as possible.

But if we had ambition and signed, say 3 quality players and had some luck with injuries and some results with us (other top teams losing silly points) then we "could" be up there and pinch that 3/4th spot that eventually could land us CL and a great platform to progress from even further.

What's the meaning of it all if the aim isn't to get better and better and at least try to become as good as possible.

Aren't you basically doing this by implying we can't pinch that 3th or 4th spot now when we came very near to doing exactly that with an almost identical squad?

It's all very well to say we want to finish in the top 4, but realistically there is only one place to fight for. We can't compete with Chelsea, or the two Manchester clubs. That's not to say we shouldn't have pushed the boat out and made a couple more signings - we definitely should have. But the CL argument is bit of a straw man one. We could spend plenty and still not finish ahead of Arsenal, Liverpool or Tottenham. What we should have done is spent sensibly and got the players in to compete with those clubs, whether we finished 4th or 7th is beside the point.

Has anybody suggested that we shouldn't spend sensibly?

It's the CL part I was disputing.

Ultimately what good has finishing 5th last season done us? Considering the manager has already been totally open about the actual competition we qualified for being far from our top priority, was there any benefit over finishing say 8th? The prize money difference isn't massive, and none of our players were desperate to get away beforehand. We didn't need to finish 5th before last season started.

The one big benefit is supposed to be that you can convince players new and old that you're close to and capable of doing something. Finishing top four, getting into the competition everyone really cares about. Building the club and trying to do it again. Trying to win something. Finishing higher up the league and getting into Europe gives you that extra exposure. Pardew has repeatedly stated that this is his aim. We took advantage of poor seasons from Chelsea and Liverpool to finish above them, something nobody expected.

And with the extra exposure and that unexpected advantage we've done nothing. We've just admitted to the world that it was a one-off, a flash in the pan. Finishing so high in the Premier League hasn't benefitted us in the slightest.

I agree to some extent, but ultimately the goal is to finish up as high as possible, and 5th is therefore better than 8th. Last season was a great achievement.

Obviously our lack of movement is very much against that goal, but the prize and the end of it all, is league positions & cups, and we achieved our best league position since proper ages ago.

Exactly, if you're going to ask questions like "why bother finishing 5th" you may as well admit that football is basically pointless. There are many achievements in football beyond getting into the Champions League.

We did extremely well last season and had a great time, to dismiss that because of a poor transfer window is idiotic.

Absolutely.

Why bother finishing 5th? Fkn hell.

Luckily nobody has asked that, certainly not me. Nice attempt though, both of you.

I don't buy this "we can't compete with the top" loser attitude, it annoys the f*** out of me. Yes, we cant compete with them when it comes to spending as much money as possible.

But if we had ambition and signed, say 3 quality players and had some luck with injuries and some results with us (other top teams losing silly points) then we "could" be up there and pinch that 3/4th spot that eventually could land us CL and a great platform to progress from even further.

What's the meaning of it all if the aim isn't to get better and better and at least try to become as good as possible.

Aren't you basically doing this by implying we can't pinch that 3th or 4th spot now when we came very near to doing exactly that with an almost identical squad?

I still hope and refuse to rule it out entirely, but i honestly can't see us being THAT lucky with all the extra games this season and our very small squad, as well as the other teams improving in both quality and depth.

What concerns me more than anything, is not grasping this great opportunity to push on but failing to do so will make finishing in the top 6 extremely difficult and thus our best players will leave.

It's a vicious circle and something that we should not be even considering but it could very happen if we don't finish in the top 6 this season.

Basically failing to push on will risk the possibility of going backwards. Hope i'm wrong.

Guest neesy111

It's a failure if we don't finish 6th imo mind, that should be par. Chelsea were always going to finish ahead this year, but I still think we're better than Liverpool and Everton and think we'll push the North London clubs again.

Everton weren't too far behind us last season and have strengthened considerably and don't have Europe as a distraction.

Guest BooBoo

Hope everyone got the season DVD in the summer.

It's pretty much as good as its going to get under the control of this fat mess.

I think we're weaker than when the window opened, personally. No excuse for it whatsoever.

I disagree that we are weaker, but still I think the window is unacceptable. The positions in the team that hurt us last season are still there.

The same deficiencies remain. The only difference is we now have to deal with the weight of expectation and the rigours of European competition.

It's pretty much as good as its going to get under the control of this fat mess.

A bit OTT.

It's a failure if we don't finish 6th imo mind, that should be par. Chelsea were always going to finish ahead this year, but I still think we're better than Liverpool and Everton and think we'll push the North London clubs again.

Everton weren't too far behind us last season and have strengthened considerably and don't have Europe as a distraction.

Even so, I think our first eleven and squad is better.

Guest neesy111

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-72Nv9VtDwiE/T5qbAL5YGpI/AAAAAAAAC2Y/KgAsgWKjanc/s1600/can-of-worms.jpg

Guest BooBoo

We've made fairly unnecessary improvements in midfield but been weakened up front and have now lost Raylor to injury.

Of course we are weaker.

When talking about having the same squad as last season, you can't underestimate the effect of the ten or more extra games we're going to play. We were seriously creaking at times last season (going to Norwich and playing Perch and Simpson at centre half a particular highlight) and so far this season, we've played just two European games and through them already lost a player who can cover in several positions, featured in about thirty games and scored some very important goals.

The season has barely started and we're already 1 down in defence (squad wise)

It's not nice to think of it as a way forward for the team, but the Taylor injury last night should have been the justification for the so-called 'extra million' on Debuchy. To anyone with a fucking brain that is, anyway.

Guest BooBoo

There's really no excuse whatsoever for not even trying to cover Raylor's absence with a loan or a cheapo buy.

Bottom line is that the oaf in charge has an allergy to spending money.

When talking about having the same squad as last season, you can't underestimate the effect of the ten or more extra games we're going to play. We were seriously creaking at times last season (going to Norwich and playing Perch and Simpson at centre half a particular highlight) and so far this season, we've played just two European games and through them already lost a player who can cover in several positions, featured in about thirty games and scored some very important goals.

This. It's a little irresponsible of the board to not understand with more games comes a higher risk of injuries.

Guest neesy111

I honestly believe Ashley is more bothered just signing players with resell value than buying players for the team/squad.

Bringing in players can have other benefits even if it only puts pressure on your best 11 to keep improving.  The only players we have who are under any pressure are probably Tiote and Cabaye if Anita turns out to be a good buy.

Happy we have kept the key players together, continuity is important. Disappointed we have taken on loads extra fixtures and left ourselves short.

So long as we've got our best XI fit we'll be OK. I think that's why people are calm. When injuries come we'll struggle.

We're relying on some of the kids to step up big time this season.

I'm seething that we've seen Raylor get a massive injury and STILL chose not to strengthen the squad. Absolutely mindless stuff.

That's the thing that gets me a bit angry, too. Especially after Pardew tried to put a bit pressure on Llambias/Ashley yesterday in the post match press conference.

Taylor would have been a very important player for our cup games (especially).