Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

There's really no excuse whatsoever for not even trying to cover Raylor's absence with a loan or a cheapo buy.

Bottom line is that the oaf in charge has an allergy to spending money.

We should be knocking the fucking hinges off Mancini's door to try and get Richards on loan. He was second choice last season and they've just signed Maicon.

Or we should be chancing our arm at getting Enrique back, Rodgers clearly doesn't fancy him either.

Or we could just not bother doing anything. Financial meltdown and that. :thup:

Finishing 5th is pointless if you do very little to stop yourself finishing lower the next year.

No it's not, it was a rare and fantastic season whatever happens, one that we'd struggle to better even with someone like Debuchy.

In the last 60 or 70 years we have bettered 5th what, 5 times?

Enjoy it ffs, don't dismiss the season as pointless because we didn't replace an average right back or pick up a backup striker.

When talking about having the same squad as last season, you can't underestimate the effect of the ten or more extra games we're going to play. We were seriously creaking at times last season (going to Norwich and playing Perch and Simpson at centre half a particular highlight) and so far this season, we've played just two European games and through them already lost a player who can cover in several positions, featured in about thirty games and scored some very important goals.

Bringing in players can have other benefits even if it only puts pressure on your best 11 to keep improving.  The only players we have who are under any pressure are probably Tiote and Cabaye if Anita turns out to be a good buy.

Simpson already knew he was very likely to start every Premier League game barring injury and suspension. He also knows he's very likely to be leaving next summer. Now Taylor's crocked. Happy days for Simpson fans mate. :lol:

Finishing 5th is pointless if you do very little to stop yourself finishing lower the next year.

No it's not, it was a rare and fantastic season whatever happens, one that we'd struggle to better even with someone like Debuchy.

Enjoy it ffs, don't dismiss the season as pointless because we didn't replace an average right back or pick up a backup striker.

And we're the negative ones. :mackems:

Can't say I'm happy with the way the window has panned out but I have slaughtered the board a number of times in the last 3 years and have been proved wrong on each occasion. They have earned a bit of trust. If we are top 6 when the January window opens no one can complain.

Also a point for those who are adding up ingoings and outgoings and complaining we only spent £3m. Couple of articles here give some indication of the work we do getting agents onside:

A FEW weeks ago, Newcastle United were showing a top European agent around St James’ Park.

A pretty major deal-maker on the Continent, this particular character has a number of international players on his books – including one highly-rated striker attracting covetous glances from Manchester United and Arsenal.

So no two-bit chancer then. Yet when United officials led him up the stairs to see the stadium in all its glory, he exhaled deeply, whipped out his camera phone and started taking pictures.

If first impressions count, Newcastle’s magnificent arena had done its job.

It is the unseen story of how United have managed to quietly grab the initiative over the Channel, charming key Continental power brokers to get in the mix for top prospects.

Boss Alan Pardew sets the scene: “The club had a strong process in France before I arrived. Graham Carr has a big influence in that particular country, and he’s somebody that we all trust.

“We also have some really good contacts there. Don’t underestimate how important that is. When a player comes through the door, we know what we’re getting.

“We feel that we’re getting good players, good characters. You don’t know for certain whether he’s going to be a success until ultimately he plays but you can have a good idea of what you’re getting.”

It doesn’t end there, though.

Big agents with international players are not the only ones extended Toon’s hospitality.

An agent with several teenage South American prospects was invited to their Benton base during the international break and others with players that may be ready for the Premier League in three to five years are kept in the loop too.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/10/23/newcastle-united-attracting-stars-to-st-james-park-79310-29642107/

A COUPLE of months ago, Arsene Wenger gathered his scouts together at London Colney and posed them a pertinent question.

Why, Arsenal’s professor wanted to know, hadn’t they brought him Yohan Cabaye – the France international bringing a touch of class to Newcastle United’s midfield?

The answer was that they had presumed Cabaye would head for Real Madrid or even Barcelona.

In fact, United, through their impressive network of scouts, snouts and contacts, had already convinced him his future lay on Tyneside before anyone else could so much as lay down a counter offer.

So Wenger was left to prise a past-his-best Mikel Arteta from Everton, while United’s supporters have marvelled at the contribution of their “finesse” import.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/12/18/yohan-cabaye-s-pass-pact-with-newcastle-boss-79310-29971585/

Thats what the club did want us to see when trumpeting our transfer policy. And it does sound very laudable, however I can't help suspecting that these agents may want something more than a stadium tour when deciding to point one of their players in the direction of NUFC rather than Arsene Wenger (which would have been the norm before). This is football after all, where getting a fortune for f*** all is the norm.

We got a rare insight into how just how commited we were to getting top agents onside in the Keegan case, where it emerged we actually spent £1m in fees and wages to obtain a player we had no intention of using, just to get 1st option on any South Americans that agent may have. (a commitment that yielded nothing). Obviously under Carr's guidance that money is now reaping dividends when it wasn't before. I don't know how much a 'network of  snouts, scouts, and contacts' costs to maintain but I bet its a lot, and its an outlay I bet we won't have been making when the 'scouting' consisted of giving Willie McKay or Paul Stretford a ring to see who they've got.

Likewise the reserve side used to consist entirely of local lads and a handful of Irish kids. Now they come from everywhere. That will cost money too.

Getting Cabaye and Tiote at the prices we did is clearly far better than ending up with overated British players on inflated fees. However much it costs to maintan our 'system', early indications are it has been worth it.

As I said, I'm not exactly delighted with this window, but I don't think its as simple as saying we spent no money. For all we know loads of money could have been flying in all directions. The obvious point to counter what I've said is 'whats the point in having this network of scouts if we don't use it to buy anyone?'

Haven't got an answer to that, but given the board's excellent record over the last 3 years I think I will wait and see what happens between now and the end of January.

There is an excuse - Tavernier. Europe was an unexpected surprise this year but have people not learnt that killing ourselves to win it is dumb? Look at the teams in it and ask yourself how much would it cost to win and this is before the CL teams join.

Teams haven't spent much money this year - despite Tottenham trying to spend money today its because they sold Modric. We could spend 30 million if we sold Tiote/Cabaye but tbh i would rather keep them and build on last year. Even Everton have had too sell to buy. This is the reality now - not just for us but for everyone.

Money isn't everything. Ask yourselves so far who has been the most promising of the new signings? Anita or Bigi? For me Bigi and he cost very little.

Last year was the same. Nolan for Cabaye seemed mental but it wasnt.

I would so much rather be in our position than Liverpools or Arsenals.

Guest neesy111

A lot of Spurs and Arsenal fans are very unhappy with their dealings too.

Arsenal fans should be.  Spurs ate going through transition period so some disruption is expected.

You don't finish 5th and just think that it's job done though and we're unlikely to match that this season with our current squad and number of games to play.  Finishing 5th was totally unexpected and we should have tried to build on it and we haven't.  Bringing players in is easier when you qualify for Europe than it is when finishing in the chasing pack.

The ambition of the club goes no further than breaking even.

Have you seen that episode of The Simpsons when Homer is climbing the mountain? He gets to the top then there's another bigger mountain. That's where we are now and we're doing what he did and give up.

/fantasticanalogy

Arsenal fans should be.  Spurs ate going through transition period so some disruption is expected.

Know quite a few Spurs fans who 'hate' AVB already :lol:

Guest Phil K

I'll lose a lot of sleep over that.

Through laughing, I have to admit.

And you know what's funny ? They call US "deluded" ! ;D

Guest neesy111

You don't finish 5th and just think that it's job done though and we're unlikely to match that this season with our current squad and number of games to play.  Finishing 5th was totally unexpected and we should have tried to build on it and we haven't.  Bringing players in is easier when you qualify for Europe than it is when finishing in the chasing pack.

The ambition of the club goes no further than breaking even.

:thup:

Guest neesy111

Jesus and we get called fickle. :lol:

Simpson already knew he was very likely to start every Premier League game barring injury and suspension. He also knows he's very likely to be leaving next summer. Now Taylor's crocked. Happy days for Simpson fans mate. :lol:

:lol:  Every cloud has a silver lining.

Yep :lol:

I do moan a lot about overreactions but it's definitely a football wide thing  :laugh:

Guest Phil K

Spuds fans have always been quick to exaggerate the mote in everyone else's eyes, and ignore the lumberyard in their own.

(Paraphrasing a biblical quote there.....badly.)

So what's the deal with Simpson? He leaves for free next summer and then what?

Just sell him now for a million, sign the replacement (we must have lined some up surely?) and save yourself a headache next summer.

What we've done makes no sense from a business or football perspective. I suspect what's happened is we have haggled too hard and paid the price for a stubborn negotiation stance which didn't work this time.

All this talk of the principles and plans behind the running of the club. But plans have to be flexible, especially in football.

I hope we're not going to have to get used to losing our better players again because I doubt that they'll be looking at us today and thinking we're going places as a club.

The squatting is unsightly imo. :lol:

Both have gone a little backwards imo. Moutinho and Dembi are no VDV and Modric.

Don't even think they got Moutinho did they?

Would be excited with Sigurdsson (sp?) and Dembele but they are stepping into some pretty tough shoes to fill.

Ultimately what good has finishing 5th last season done us? Considering the manager has already been totally open about the actual competition we qualified for being far from our top priority, was there any benefit over finishing say 8th? The prize money difference isn't massive, and none of our players were desperate to get away beforehand. We didn't need to finish 5th before last season started.

The one big benefit is supposed to be that you can convince players new and old that you're close to and capable of doing something. Finishing top four, getting into the competition everyone really cares about. Building the club and trying to do it again. Trying to win something. Finishing higher up the league and getting into Europe gives you that extra exposure. Pardew has repeatedly stated that this is his aim. We took advantage of poor seasons from Chelsea and Liverpool to finish above them, something nobody expected.

And with the extra exposure and that unexpected advantage we've done nothing. We've just admitted to the world that it was a one-off, a flash in the pan. Finishing so high in the Premier League hasn't benefitted us in the slightest.

I agree to some extent, but ultimately the goal is to finish up as high as possible, and 5th is therefore better than 8th. Last season was a great achievement.

Obviously our lack of movement is very much against that goal, but the prize and the end of it all, is league positions & cups, and we achieved our best league position since proper ages ago.

Exactly, if you're going to ask questions like "why bother finishing 5th" you may as well admit that football is basically pointless. There are many achievements in football beyond getting into the Champions League.

We did extremely well last season and had a great time, to dismiss that because of a poor transfer window is idiotic.

Absolutely.

Why bother finishing 5th? Fkn hell.

Luckily nobody has asked that, certainly not me. Nice attempt though, both of you.

What were you asking then?

You said "Ultimately what good has finishing 5th last season done us?", and went on to say that we might as well have finished 8th for the good it has done us.

5th made all the difference. It was a flat out fantastic season, and gave me an unbelievable amount of pride coming above the likes of Chelsea, and yes, Liverpool and Sunderland.

For someone often having a go at the balance sheet brigade, you seem to take a very businesslike approach to what constitutes an achievement.