Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest BooBoo

Didn't work out= baulked at the thought of saving to spend when there's kids and reserves already at the club doing nowt for their wages.

From what we did with Cisse it seems likely we dont bother spending on a position if we think we can get better value at a later date. It means being patient & hoping the position doesnt cost us, but also results in a better player on the pitch in the long run if it comes off. Has worked for us so far.

It's worked once with Cisse and we got away with it because Ba was such an unexpected success.

They were the ones who told us and Debuchy they wouldn't sell BEFORE they had a replacement of equal quality in. What were we supposed to do?

Match the clubs valuation, which I think was a fair one.  If that doesn't work them move on knowing we'd done everything we could to bring the player here.

Again you are assuming they actually had a valuation, what they said in the media doesn't mean it was what they were asking, especially as they were trying to placate a wantaway player.

So we are going off what the media reported us to bid ignoring quotes from the selling club (said they wouldn't sell unless they replaced with equal quality, which they didn't) and player (said club kept giving him contradictory reasons as to why he couldn't leave)?

I'm done with this tbh, believe what you want to believe, personally I think it's moronic to believe there was only £500k-£1m difference between us signing the lad or not.

I also believe we should have had other options when it became clear they wouldn't sell for the record (again).

They didn't have to get a replacement of any kind because we weren't willing to pay them what they though he was worth. 

And I do think they would turn down a bid which falls below the valuation they put on him, why wouldn't they?

They were the ones who told us and Debuchy they wouldn't sell BEFORE they had a replacement of equal quality in. What were we supposed to do?

Have a plan B?  :dontknow:

If you are going to get involved at least read the rest of the posts, I have clearly said on a number of occasions we have fucked up not moving on when it became clear they didn't want to sell.

It's worked once with Cisse and we got away with it because Ba was such an unexpected success.

It's worked once so it will always work.

That ideas dependant on our high league position at that time being the sole reason Cisse joined. But yeah its obviously a calculated risk that what we have already will do reasonably well. So far we seem to judge it well. Ba's success wasnt unexpected by Pardew if you remember.

Again you are assuming they actually had a valuation, what they said in the media doesn't mean it was what they were asking, especially as they were trying to placate a wantaway player.

Of course I'm assuming they had a valuation, Seydoux was quoted saying it was £6 million.  We did nothing to prove them wrong so is it wrong for me to make that assumption?

Of course I'm assuming they had a valuation, Seydoux was quoted saying it was £6 million.  We did nothing to prove them wrong so is it wrong for me to make that assumption?

So the player coming out saying they constantly moved the goalposts didn't hint at anything? Other big clubs apparently failing to make a successful bid also? You have a lot of respect for this Seydoux bloke tbf to you.

Maybe we were lucky not to sign Debuchy if he is going to go about bullshitting this much.

It's been very poor (the fullback situation) tbh. We didn't even need to sign a RB we would have done just as well to sign a LB and move Santon across. If we identify 2-3 players per position that means we missed out on between 4-6 targets. Stupid really.

We also needed a CB.

We haven't signed a single 1st team player after finishing 5th on then prattled on about pushing on for the CL.

So we are going off what the media reported us to bid ignoring quotes from the selling club (said they wouldn't sell unless they replaced with equal quality, which they didn't) and player (said club kept giving him contradictory reasons as to why he couldn't leave)?

I'm done with this tbh, believe what you want to believe, personally I think it's moronic to believe there was only £500k-£1m difference between us signing the lad or not.

I also believe we should have had other options when it became clear they wouldn't sell for the record (again).

They didn't have to get a replacement of any kind because we weren't willing to pay them what they though he was worth. 

And I do think they would turn down a bid which falls below the valuation they put on him, why wouldn't they?

If you are going to get involved at least read the rest of the posts, I have clearly said on a number of occasions we have fucked up not moving on when it became clear they didn't want to sell.

Why ask a question you've already answered then?

Surely if you ask me a question (I have already answered) directly I will answer it even if you too ignorant to read it for yourself?

It's been very poor (the fullback situation) tbh. We didn't even need to sign a RB we would have done just as well to sign a LB and move Santon across. If we identify 2-3 players per position that means we missed out on between 4-6 targets. Stupid really.

We also needed a CB.

We haven't signed a single 1st team player after finishing 5th on then prattled on about pushing on for the CL.

Yup

So the player coming out saying they constantly moved the goalposts didn't hint at anything? Other big clubs apparently failing to make a successful bid also? You have a lot of respect for this Seydoux bloke tbf to you.

Maybe we were lucky not to sign Debuchy if he is going to go about bullshitting this much.

I didn't say Debuchy was bullshitting, something obviously did change but we don't know what it was and I don't know enough about Seydoux to have respect or not.  You wouldn't sell your house for £160,000 if it was worth £200,000.  Why should a club sell a player for less than he's worth?

Guest neesy111

Incredible isn't it. Not one player. :lol: :lol:

I didn't say Debuchy was bullshitting, something obviously did change but we don't know what it was and I don't know enough about Seydoux to have respect or not.  You wouldn't sell your house for £160,000 if it was worth £200,000.  Why should a club sell a player for less than he's worth?

If I didn't want to sell my house but my wife did maybe I would make excuses why we shouldn't (this is getting ridiculous now).

Incredible isn't it. Not one player. :lol: :lol:

Too early to tell, Tiote hasn't been fit so we could have signed one first team player to either replace an injury attracting Tiote or play alongside him and Cabaye in a 4-3-3.

Been a shite transfer window, we can say it now. :thup:  Couldn't give two shits about hanging onto anyone; that should have been the absolute bare minimum. I don't know why Pardew kept going on about it so much.

Not signing a striker to replace Best and Lovenkrands could prove to be an absolutely massive error. Other than that, we've simply stood still whilst our nearest rivals have strengthened. A couple of them significantly so.

Our first choice side is still extremely good when played in the right way, however we don't have the depth to compete in several competitions. We can still have a good season but my gut reaction is that we can say cheerio to any Champions League attempt, and i can't see us going far in the cups. Which is absolutely gutting because it was in our grasp with a bit of investment. We've had worse transfer windows but this one still stinks.

If I didn't want to sell my house but my wife did maybe I would make excuses why we shouldn't (this is getting ridiculous now).

It's a good time to move, what with low interest rates and that. You should listen to her tbh.

Surely if you ask me a question (I have already answered) directly I will answer it even if you too ignorant to read it for yourself?

I didn't ask you a question, I answered it.

Apologies for assuming you wouldn't ask questions you've already previously answered.

Exactly. If your house isnt on the market the majority wouldnt sell even if someone bid its valuation. They had no reason to sell Debuchy once they realised they could keep him happy. Its naive to think otherwise imo.