Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You tell me, you are then one refusing to acknowledge the quotes from the player and the selling club.

That's a load of rubbish.  I know what Debuchy has said and I've mentioned it.  I don't know what was said between Seydoux and Debuchy and neither do you but you’ve set up an argument for the club without knowing it.  I also know that a fee was mentioned by Seydoux and we haven't met that fee and that's all that matters.  Maybe the fee was a bluff but we'll never know that will we?

Sorry but I think you are deliberately ignoring he obvious to have a dig.

Basically the club said they wouldn't sell before they had and adequate replacement, they didn't replace.

Debuchy was told he wouldn't be sold for a number of reasons.

Not sure how anyone wouldn't be a bit suspect about the dealings but feel free to believe we were to blame.

Guest bimpy474

If injuries aren't a massive issue (knock on wood), I think we're locked into a Europa spot. We probably won't finish as high this year as we did last, but I don't know if I'd call that a step back.

5th is the only guaranteed Europa League spot.

FA Cup and League Cup winners silly sausage.

Guest Realist

Pretty awesome window all things considered IMO, really stoked about the next 36 games. 

Don't know where this On The Waterfront "we coulda been a (CL) contender" hoopla horseshit tardwish fantasy comes from. We would have been lucky to repeat 5th again if we'd tried to "push on" regardless.  Thinking 7th is about right.  I give this window a 4.5/5.

A bit baffling if we did make bids for de Jong and Carroll and then get no striker, especially after selling Best. Same goes to a lesser degree for Debuchy and Douglas.

If there is a silver lining, the lack of striking options may force us into playing 4-3-3 or 4-4-1-1 with HBA in the hole.

Going into the window, the big worry was losing Ba for 7m, so at least that didn't happen.

Basically the club said they wouldn't sell before they had and adequate replacement, they didn't replace.

Not sure how anyone wouldn't be a bit suspect about the dealings but feel free to believe we were to blame.

Of course they didn't replace him, they didn't have an acceptable offer for Debuchy so didn't need a replacement.

You're also over egging what Debuchy said so here it is as a refresher.

"I met him in his office and he told me the chairman stopped the negotiations and he doesn't want me to leave anymore.

"So I called the chairman and left a message. I am waiting for him to call back to make the situation clearer because I can't understand.

"The coach told me yesterday that he didn't want to block me anymore, that he saw my desire to discover something new.

"Michel Seydoux states the last Newcastle offer does not meet his valuation. Again, I can't understand.

"One day I can't leave because the club has not found a replacement, the next day it is because the Newcastle offer is not enough. One day it is the coach who blocked me, the next day it is the chairman.

"I have the feeling everyone doesn't have the same words. I just want things to be clear.

"I have been at Lille for 20 years, a club I really love, for which I always gave my very best. I have never made a lot of noise and I don't want to start now.

"I have the opportunity to play in the best league in the world, playing regularly against the best opponents and I really want that.

"Today, I am still resolved to trying something new, to have another experience, and I would like to have a talk with the chairman for things to be clear between us."

Could have been worse. We could have sold a star and not reinvested all the money.

But no point polishing a turd, we have more fixtures with much the same squad and I think we're going to see more of our cover players than we did last season, including in the Premier League. The Anita signing looks more strange the more you look at it, especially as Gutierrez will play many games inside and we bought Bigirimana and Amalfitano plus Marveaux and Gosling are returning who barely played last season. If you were going to buy one player, let's face it you wouldn't have picked a midfielder would you?

I'd rather have had a right back with the Anita money, in all honesty. I think we are OK as long as our first XI remain fit. Our bench doesn't look very strong though and if you add in 10 fixtures to last season we could be in trouble. All depends on the ability of the fringe players to step up as Raylor and Perch have, or youngsters breaking through. Basically we have left more to chance than we should have and could pay the price.

Shouldn't underestimate the importance of keeping our key players. But I fear the squad will be found out as the injuries build up.

Guest bimpy474

A bit baffling if we did make bids for de Jong and Carroll and then get no striker, especially after selling Best. Same goes to a lesser degree for Debuchy and Douglas.

If there is a silver lining, the lack of striking options may force us into playing 4-3-3 or 4-4-1-1 with HBA in the hole.

Going into the window, the big worry was losing Ba for 7m, so at least that didn't happen.

I actually think Haris is now our third Striker, withdrawn a bit but he might move ahead of Shola in the pecking order.

Of course they didn't replace him, they didn't have an acceptable offer for Debuchy so didn't need a replacement.

You're also over egging what Debuchy said so here it is as a refresher.

"I met him in his office and he told me the chairman stopped the negotiations and he doesn't want me to leave anymore.

"So I called the chairman and left a message. I am waiting for him to call back to make the situation clearer because I can't understand.

"The coach told me yesterday that he didn't want to block me anymore, that he saw my desire to discover something new.

"Michel Seydoux states the last Newcastle offer does not meet his valuation. Again, I can't understand.

"One day I can't leave because the club has not found a replacement, the next day it is because the Newcastle offer is not enough. One day it is the coach who blocked me, the next day it is the chairman.

"I have the feeling everyone doesn't have the same words. I just want things to be clear.

"I have been at Lille for 20 years, a club I really love, for which I always gave my very best. I have never made a lot of noise and I don't want to start now.

"I have the opportunity to play in the best league in the world, playing regularly against the best opponents and I really want that.

"Today, I am still resolved to trying something new, to have another experience, and I would like to have a talk with the chairman for things to be clear between us."

Still not sure what the hell you are going on about, what you have quoted completely backs up my point ???

Very disappointed, but i'm happy it's all over now we can now focus on the players we do have.

We still have a good squad and in Europe ( yes Europe ffs !) no reason to get down in the dumps.

It's time to get behind the lads and forget all this terrible mess and hopefully they will give us another season to be proud of.

:indi: