Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

Disappointed, but still think our model is one of the best in the league.

:thup: :thdn:

We do have a very good approach to transfers BUT we do need a little more wiggle room imo.

My feeling too.

Needs adapting.

Disappointed. We've stood still whilst those around us have improved, had we got Carroll in at least it would have been something, and I really thought we would. As it stands we've stood still whilst our rivals have improved. What worries me more than anything is that if we don't improve upon or at least match last years league finish, players like Cabaye and Cisse won't stick around.

Not signing players is no fun at all but we're still as strong as we were last year.

We have a sizable development squad that's been further expanded and should help soften the blow of the European campaign.

Not selling anyone may not be an "accomplishment", but it's more than I expected so it makes me happy.

Overall a boring window, but it's good that we can focus on the football now.

We do have a very good approach to transfers BUT we do need a little more wiggle room imo.

What we need is not more wiggle room, but for Ashley to get it into his thick skull that a good deal in football is not necessarily a deal with a lot of resale value somewhere along the line. Sometimes bringing in a player who doesn't hold much "upside" can make your football team better as a whole, so whilst the player himself may not represent a good deal financially, that may be compensated by more income from higher league finishes, more value added to other players looking better and who knows, maybe even winning a trophy God forbid.

I appreciate our business model now, after having been fiercely critical of it in the past; you can't really argue with the excellent results it's yielded in the past few seasons, but there needs to be some flexibility mended in the approach and trust put in the footballing side of the business. This is not a fast moving retail business, it's a complex, psychological team game, which is something apparently completely alien to Fat Mike.

Aye. I can understand the concern somebody like oldtype showed the other day about going back to the Shepherd days, but I don't think it would ever be like this under Ashley. Football's a flexible game both on and off the pitch, and it appears we're not prepared to offer any flexibility when it comes to transfers. Sometimes you have to pay out more than you are willing to for a player to improve the team. I certainly wouldn't be complaining if we'd have maybe paid over what the clubs' valuation of Debuchy was it would've been a massive upgrade on our first team, whilst leaving a more than capable squad player in Simpson there to cover him.

Happy with our approach to scouting, transfers and the model or whatever you want to call it. However in this window the system that's brought us success under the last few seasons has failed us, no doubt as well because clubs are now using the positive press we've been receiving against us.

Also I feel sorry for Pardew as he is the one that has to deal with all the questions about transfers. I know it's what he signed up for and he always toes the party line, however deep down I bet his us fuming after what he delivered last season that he hasn't been backed to take us onto the next level. Especially as he's been talking about qualifying for the Champions League being our aim. Looks like that won't be happening any time soon.

My feeling too.

Needs adapting.

Agree in a sense but not major reworking IMO, it's a good platform for us to build from we just need to be less stubborn when it comes to negotiations.

Losing out on Debuchy for the sum of 1m euros is a bit depressing tbh and should be avoided.

I don't see nothing with the policy in a sense but as Cajun said allow ourselfs to be more flexible instead of going to an amount of getting so close and losing out because we refuse to go over an x amount.

Sorry but I think you are deliberately ignoring he obvious to have a dig.

Basically the club said they wouldn't sell before they had and adequate replacement, they didn't replace.

Debuchy was told he wouldn't be sold for a number of reasons.

Not sure how anyone wouldn't be a bit suspect about the dealings but feel free to believe we were to blame.

Of course they didn't replace him, they didn't have an acceptable offer for Debuchy so didn't need a replacement.

You're also over egging what Debuchy said so here it is as a refresher.

"I met him in his office and he told me the chairman stopped the negotiations and he doesn't want me to leave anymore.

"So I called the chairman and left a message. I am waiting for him to call back to make the situation clearer because I can't understand.

"The coach told me yesterday that he didn't want to block me anymore, that he saw my desire to discover something new.

"Michel Seydoux states the last Newcastle offer does not meet his valuation. Again, I can't understand.

"One day I can't leave because the club has not found a replacement, the next day it is because the Newcastle offer is not enough. One day it is the coach who blocked me, the next day it is the chairman.

"I have the feeling everyone doesn't have the same words. I just want things to be clear.

"I have been at Lille for 20 years, a club I really love, for which I always gave my very best. I have never made a lot of noise and I don't want to start now.

"I have the opportunity to play in the best league in the world, playing regularly against the best opponents and I really want that.

"Today, I am still resolved to trying something new, to have another experience, and I would like to have a talk with the chairman for things to be clear between us."

Still not sure what the hell you are going on about, what you have quoted completely backs up my point ???

You said Debuchy was told that he wouldn't be sold for a number of reasons, it looks like it was 2 and I can understand both.  They needed a replacement, we didn't offer what they thought he was worth which was 8 million euros.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/9512259/Alan-Pardew-says-some-Newcastle-players-had-their-heads-turned-by-rival-clubs-interest-in-the-transfer-window.html

Alan Pardew says some Newcastle players had their heads turned by rival clubs' interest in the transfer window

By Luke Edwards

10:00PM BST 31 Aug 2012

Demba Ba, Papiss Cisse, Cheick Tiote and Yohan Cabaye, who was a late target for Arsenal before Newcastle rejected their approach, were all heavily linked with moves over the summer.

Although Pardew did not directly criticise any of them, he conceded some have not been as focused as they should be at the start of the season and called for a change in the rules in this country.

“The window should be shut before a ball is kicked, because it is unfair on us teams, that our players’ heads get turned,” said Pardew, who has signed just one senior player since May, midfielder Vurnon Anita from Ajax.

“Have one or two of our heads got turned in terms of that dressing-room? Possibly, probably the manager is the last to know. I’ve heard little bits of rumours here and there, a bit like the press do, and I try to ignore it.

“Is it a factor [in performances levels]? It probably is, and it certainly has been for Wigan and Victor Moses and Scott Sinclair at Swansea.

“It’s unfair on those teams and it’s unfair on us. If I was at Man City, every team I played while the window was open I’d link myself with a couple of players, why not?

“When the window shuts, there’s a bit more clarity in the mind of players. You’re here now, until January, at least, so get your arse in gear.

“That would be the message, not just from me, but from every Premier League manager, I’m sure, apart from Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea, whose players aren’t going to move.”

Newcastle play Aston Villa on Sunday and will have to get used to playing on a Thursday night after qualifying for the group stage of the Europa League.

Pardew was happy with Friday’s draw, which has given them games against Club Brugge, Bordeaux and Maritimo, but he knows Newcastle’s progress in the competition will depend on the ability of his younger players to step up to the challenge of regular first team opportunities.

“I think keeping our best players makes a strong statement, from [owner] Mike Ashley in particular,” he added. “He’s had a fair bit of criticism here, for perhaps not investing in the club or not being fully focused, or wanting to sell it and so on, but if that’s the case why didn’t he cash in on one of the big hitters?

“I’m sure Mike would love to be in the Amsterdam Arena [in the Europa League final] with his Newcastle shirt on looking to us to win it, but we have to understand that it’s been a long time since we’ve been there.

“A lot of my team have no experience of Europe - we showed that last night [against Atromitos]. We are naive at times, but we’ll grow into it hopefully.

“This draw gives us the chance to do it. We’re not going to Inter Milan or to Germany to play one of their top teams, so we’ve escaped a little bit in the draw, and hopefully we can gain some experience.”

Aye. I can understand the concern somebody like oldtype showed the other day about going back to the Shepherd days, but I don't think it would ever be like this under Ashley. Football's a flexible game both on and off the pitch, and it appears we're not prepared to offer any flexibility when it comes to transfers. Sometimes you have to pay out more than you are willing to for a player to improve the team. I certainly wouldn't be complaining if we'd have maybe paid over what the clubs' valuation of Debuchy was it would've been a massive upgrade on our first team, whilst leaving a more than capable squad player in Simpson there to cover him.

Happy with our approach to scouting, transfers and the model or whatever you want to call it. However in this window the system that's brought us success under the last few seasons has failed us, no doubt as well because clubs are now using the positive press we've been receiving against us.

Also I feel sorry for Pardew as he is the one that has to deal with all the questions about transfers. I know it's what he signed up for and he always toes the party line, however deep down I bet his us fuming after what he delivered last season that he hasn't been backed to take us onto the next level. Especially as he's been talking about qualifying for the Champions League being our aim. Looks like that won't be happening any time soon.

Hopefully we'll take a long, hard look at this window and analyze the failures (if there were any) so we can improve in January. We're a pragmatic club and I have confidence that we'll learn from this experience.

What we need is not more wiggle room, but for Ashley to get it into his thick skull that a good deal in football is not necessarily a deal with a lot of resale value somewhere along the line. Sometimes bringing in a player who doesn't hold much "upside" can make your football team better as a whole, so whilst the player himself may not represent a good deal financially, that may be compensated by more income from higher league finishes, more value added to other players looking better and who knows, maybe even winning a trophy God forbid.

I appreciate our business model now, after having been fiercely critical of it in the past; you can't really argue with the excellent results it's yielded in the past few seasons, but there needs to be some flexibility mended in the approach and trust put in the footballing side of the business. This is not a fast moving retail business, it's a complex, psychological team game, which is something apparently completely alien to Fat Mike.

Tbf as much as I think we need to change our approach I think the buy to sell thing is a massive myth. As I said earlier, he has been owner for what, 5 years? and we have sold one player for a profit who 99% clubs would have done the same. Okay maybe Best was sold for a slight profit, there have been many sold for a loss and I am sure we could have capitalised on Tiote, Ben Arfa, Cisse, Ba, Krul, Cabaye etc.. already if we were so desperate for profit -wages.

Good post.

The squad is as strong as last year, but we're asking much more of them this time thanks to loads more fixtures. That's where the bench players come in and they're a major drop in quality. We should have strengthened and I think it'll come at a cost.

For now we'll be alright as we're light on injuries. But look at our bench and you can see problems ahead.

Guest NewBoyPeetah

Massively happy that no one was sold.

A bit disappointed that we didn't add in the areas we need to.

5/10

Guest NewBoyPeetah

Wonder whos head supposedly was turned a bit....

Simpson...although he has mastered running backwards. :)

Guest bmoregeordie

When we lost Raylor, I honestly thought that might open up the kitty a bit to buy. No such luck.

What I'm really worried about is January. What will our starting 11 look like without Tiote, Ba, and Cisse? Throw in an injury - which is likely - and we're on thin ice.

Maybe, hopefully, Ashley knows he'll have to buy then, and decided to save for that point.

While I voted disappointed in the poll, it's not massively so. Amalfitano looks like a good buy and even though we put out a seriously weakened side yesterday I thought we knocked it about nicely. The experience will have done the likes of Vukic and Bigirama the world of good.

Our first team isn´t complete and our second team isn´t good enough. That´s my view.

Looking at yesterdays match I can´t say many of the players can fill in comfortably in premier league. I also have doubts about our overall football. Not good enough. A lot of hoof balls, long distance between players, no movement and isolated forwards.

delighted :laugh:

When we lost Raylor, I honestly thought that might open up the kitty a bit to buy. No such luck.

What I'm really worried about is January. What will our starting 11 look like without Tiote, Ba, and Cisse? Throw in an injury - which is likely - and we're on thin ice.

Maybe, hopefully, Ashley knows he'll have to buy then, and decided to save for that point.

Erm..