Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest bimpy474

I think i will punch the TV if i hear "we couldn't get anyone over the line".

That saying is getting right under my skin for some reason.

I'm very cynical about the situation.  Ashley isn't running the club astutely or with a long term plan, he's running it as cheaply as he can, extracting as much money as he can without wrecking it and hoping that Pardew and his team (including scouts) can keep pulling off miracles like they did last season.

I don't think we have the cash to spend, not because we are being prudent (though having no cash does force this as a result) but because Ashley is only looking at how he can recover his debt.

Now you could argue that putting a good playing team together helps that cause but in my eyes that is just a bonus for Ashley.

I don't expect much activity, I did think Pardew might be given c£10m to spend so we may see one furthet player in but that will be it.  Not massively impressive given the money we got for 5th place, Sky cash and season ticket money.

Hope that is enough to get us through another season in a reasonable place but I think 5th place would be overachieving again with the squad we have currently.

All in all, frustrated but not unexpected.

I'm very cynical about the situation.  Ashley isn't running the club astutely or with a long term plan, he's running it as cheaply as he can, extracting as much money as he can without wrecking it and hoping that Pardew and his team (including scouts) can keep pulling off miracles like they did last season.

I don't think we have the cash to spend, not because we are being prudent (though having no cash does force this as a result) but because Ashley is only looking at how he can recover his debt.

Now you could argue that putting a good playing team together helps that cause but in my eyes that is just a bonus for Ashley.

I don't expect much activity, I did think Pardew might be given c£10m to spend so we may see one furthet player in but that will be it.  Not massively impressive given the money we got for 5th place, Sky cash and season ticket money.

Hope that is enough to get us through another season in a reasonable place but I think 5th place would be overachieving again with the squad we have currently.

He's doing a surprisingly bad job of both if that's the case.

Guest Recoba

I'm positive we will get a striker in.  Lovenkrands role of odd sub/bench duty can be filled by someone like Sammy, but we must replace Best.  Shola cannot be relied on.  A suspension and an injury to each of Ba and Cisse and we are close to Adam Campbell starting in the Premiership.  Unless the club really plans for Sammy to step up to a senior role, or perhaps Vuckic as a striker although I am not convinced, the plan must be to make a deal happen.

I think in Colo, Staylor, Williamson, Perch, Simpson, Raylor, Santon and Tavernier the club perhaps thinks there are enough bodies should the right deal not materialise.  Maybe the thought is Good could play a part in an emergency, I don't know.

I think we will Carroll on a permanent deal and that will be us done.

Good post... All very plausible...

As an outsider looking in, I think Ashley is doing an excellent job.  Maybe he isn't spending a fortune on individual players but at the moment you don't need to.  You've got a scout envied by the rest of the PL identifying quality players before they become household names (and expensive).  Admittedly, Cisse, for example, wasn't a small fee but there's no need to pay £20m for a player when Carr can find the likes of Tiote and Cabaye for a fraction of the cost.

It seems to me that whenever Pardew identifies a need Carr finds the player and Ashley comes up with the money. 

There's a few PL teams that would appreciate that scenario.

As an outsider looking in, I think Ashley is doing an excellent job.  Maybe he isn't spending a fortune on individual players but at the moment you don't need to.  You've got a scout envied by the rest of the PL identifying quality players before they become household names (and expensive).  Admittedly, Cisse, for example, wasn't a small fee but there's no need to pay £20m for a player when Carr can find the likes of Tiote and Cabaye for a fraction of the cost.

It seems to me that whenever Pardew identifies a need Carr finds the player and Ashley comes up with the money. 

Exactly martin.  :mancini:

We shall see.

I said it before and i'll say it again, last year was a a fluke, so be prepared for a 8th/9th10th placed finish (which i'd be okay with tbh) Particularly with more or less exactly the same first XI.

Literally can't believe that people are still making this argument.

Yep, I gave Ashley and Decker a hard time on here in the past but im a convert now. I seen the LIGHT!!!!

:clap:

Guest Roger Kint

Aye baffling really. Still wont trust them fully with some aspects of running us but that part is plain stupid to suggest.

Guest Dr_Delirium

I don't agree. Carr is doing an excellent job, Ashley not. There is one clear position in the team that everybody knows is the weakest link. This should have been resolved by getting a replacement for Simpson. But that 1M (presumably) more he wouldn't provide, probably because that was his pocket change for his gambling needs. It's his money, he can do what he wants with it, but please don't say he is doing an excellent job.

I cannot believe that people can support Ashley. When he does one thing right, people tend to forgive him for all the bad things.

I don't agree. Carr is doing an excellent job, Ashley not. There is one clear position in the team that everybody knows is the weakest link. This should have been resolved by getting a replacement for Simpson. But that 1M (presumably) more he wouldn't provide, probably because that was his pocket change for his gambling needs. It's his money, he can do what he wants with it, but please don't say he is doing an excellent job.

I cannot believe that people can support Ashley. When he does one thing right, people tend to forgive him for all the bad things.

Asking for one million more is a gross simplification though. I agree we need a RB, but we have made a boatload of great signings based on our transfer policy, why not trust it to deliver more? If we can find the right deal, we will do it.

Probably somewhere inbetween lies the answer, we're similar to Everton, when we should be similar to yourselves.

Ashley is either a genius in that he was the only person in football that spotted what Pardew could do here or he's very lucky that between Carr and Pardew they've managed to do what Moyes has done at Everton. Let's not forget he stumbled upon this frugal approach after a series of catastrophic blunders left us relegated and he failed to sell the club and didn't want to subsidise it any further.

He's a risk taker, he's shown that all throughout his life, he doesn't conform, he's raising our profile this season with European football and more importantly for him, his tacky sports shop brand and if he can do that without spending any money he will, as even if we fall down the league a little bit the lost revenue will be more than made up thanks to the new tv deal.

We're a profitable well ran club with European football this season, that makes NUFC a more valuable and saleable asset to MA, from a football perspective, is this as great an opportunity missed as when we only signed Lee Bowyer?

Guest Roger Kint

Impossible to take this post seriously with the pocket change/gambling rubbish in t :lol:

I´m no longer angry. Just sad. I sat scrolling threw transfer/transfer rumors and felt so frustrated and almost wanted to shed a tear. Most of the clubs, especially the ones that we want to fight with, has or is in this moment strengthening their squad. And what are we doing? "Demanding big fees for our big players (ok that´s good)"...

:'(

Regarding spending money. Hasn´t we still made a profit with our transfers since coming up ???

That, the high table finish and more TV-money, and a small sum for playing in EL. And still we can´t sign players. Doesn´t matter if it´s not Debuchy or Douglas. I think there are more players out there that would improve us. What is this "already scouting for next year" if we basically has three player at our list. And yeah that includes Carroll that we probably just stumbled on and seems to spend way to much money at.

Probably somewhere inbetween lies the answer, we're similar to Everton, when we should be similar to yourselves.

Ashley is either a genius in that he was the only person in football that spotted what Pardew could do here or he's very lucky that between Carr and Pardew they've managed to do what Moyes has done at Everton. Let's not forget he stumbled upon this frugal approach after a series of catastrophic blunders left us relegated and he failed to sell the club and didn't want to subsidise it any further.

He's a risk taker, he's shown that all throughout his life, he doesn't conform, he's raising our profile this season with European football and more importantly for him, his tacky sports shop brand and if he can do that without spending any money he will, as even if we fall down the league a little bit the lost revenue will be more than made up thanks to the new tv deal.

We're a profitable well ran club with European football this season, that makes NUFC a more valuable and saleable asset to MA, from a football perspective, is this as great an opportunity missed as when we only signed Lee Bowyer?

I think it's the early mistakes like having Wise as a DoF, the relegation season and failure to sell the club that has made Ashley evolve into the owner that he is now.

From those early days of wasting money, Ashley is now running the club well.  I wouldn't call his approach frugal if he's supplying the money to buy the players you need.  There's no point in Carr doing the job he's doing if when he finds Cabaye available for less than £4.5m only for Ashley wanting him to find someone cheaper.  Now that's what I would call frugal!

I think it's the early mistakes like having Wise as a DoF, the relegation season and failure to sell the club that has made Ashley evolve into the owner that he is now.

From those early days of wasting money, Ashley is now running the club well.  I wouldn't call his approach frugal if he's supplying the money to buy the players you need.  There's no point in Carr doing the job he's doing if when he finds Cabaye available for less than £4.5m only for Ashley wanting him to find someone cheaper.  Now that's what I would call frugal!

#      Net Spend last 5 Years  Purchased Gross            Sold                          Nett                         Per Season

19 Newcastle                 £72,850,000                 £109,550,000       -£36,700,000         -£7,340,000

That takes into consideration the wasteful times under a DOF - Frugal - economical in use or expenditure; prudently saving or sparing; not wasteful, entailing little expense; requiring few resources; meager; scanty.

We've apparently returned to profit, if everything stays the same (it hasn't we've shaved a fortune off the wage bill) , the profits will increase as the TV deal has, now is the time to strengthen if you want to progress.