Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lille literally had no reason to sell whatsoever if they thought they could keep Debuchy happy & i imagine they thought that as they managed to achieve it.

They didnt need the money & stated enough times a replacement of his quality would be very hard to find, why would they sell bar a ridiculous bid?

They named a fee, we didn't match it.  :dontknow:

Exactly. Let's not rewrite history here - he wanted to come and they were willing to sell.

Based on what? Because they said theyd sell & everyone is honest always?

As said, they had no reason to sell Debuchy but plenty of reason to suggest they would if they wanted to keep him happy. Which ultimately if you want to keep a player, is pretty important isnt it.

AP shot himself in the foot when he let that one out a bit at that BBC radio talk-in with Carver. Not that it matters now mind you, but this one seemed almost too public from the day the rumors starting floating.

Lille literally had no reason to sell whatsoever if they thought they could keep Debuchy happy & i imagine they thought that as they managed to achieve it.

They didnt need the money & stated enough times a replacement of his quality would be very hard to find, why would they sell bar a ridiculous bid?

So why did we waste our time when, for example, Clyne was busy signing for Southampton for f*** all?

How would we know we were wasting our time? All other players wanting to leave have ended up trying to join us & kicked up a fuss. We were in a strong position in regards to signing him when Clyne was signing for Southampton.

"Lille literally had no reason to sell"

"Why would they sell bar a ridiculous bid?"

"We were in a strong position to buy him"

Spot the odd one out. :lol:

Mike's apparently willing to write the next four months off so he can feel a bit smug about being an expert haggler.

The actual football always seems to come second to wheeler-dealing.

Just see Pards and Masher running around at midnight a bit pissed screeching "haggle haggle...haggle haggle" *In cockernoir. :lol:

Debuchy said what he was told ffs! He was told contradictory reasons depending on who he spoke to.

What was he told?

You are getting very fucking annoying now. I said this before and you were banging on about what he was told last, now you want to know what he was told. If you are going to piss and moan and least follow the transfer sagas yourself.

If I said what he was told you would no doubt revert back to 'yeah but what was he told last!?!?!?111?'.

Can't be bothered tbh, as quoted he was told different reasons why he couldn't leave, they all seemed to change each time. He was told he wouldn't be allowed to leave until they signed an equivalent replacement which they haven't so it's obviously our fault, maybe we failed by not loaning them Carr.

Guest BooBoo

I bet you one thing, we'll have staff at the club till half eleven just in case we have to consider a bid. Like shite will they have gone home.

All considered I think we expected to lose a big name this summer for decent money and because we haven't there's been fuck all cash made available to a bloke who deserved to be backed and well after what he achieved last season.

Exactly. Let's not rewrite history here - he wanted to come and they were willing to sell.

For the record their chariman took the huff at our negotiating antics. Plus as I said earlier they were scorched from the Cabaye deal. As other have said should have had a list of back ups or Clyne on a free etc...

I bet you one thing, we'll have staff at the club till half eleven just in case we have to consider a bid. Like shite will they have gone home.

All considered I think we expected to lose a big name this summer for decent money and because we haven't there's been fuck all cash made available to a Blake who deserved to be backed and well after what he achieved last season.

Yep.

So why did we waste our time when, for example, Clyne was busy signing for Southampton for f*** all?

How would we know we were wasting our time? All other players wanting to leave have ended up trying to join us & kicked up a fuss. We were in a strong position in regards to signing him when Clyne was signing for Southampton.

Yes both sides arent necessarily going to have the same viewpoint are they. Both of us thought we were in strong positions, i dont see how thats contradictory. We thought they were vunerable due to him wanting to leave & Cabaye, they obviously thought they could convince him to stay & they were apparently correct.

Guest neesy111

Where's neesy at tonight? I presume he's standing outside Denis Norden's house screaming "WHERE ARE YOU!?" in the fashion of Delia.

Shows what a sad person you are.

For the record their chariman took the huff at our negotiating antics. Plus as I said earlier they were scorched from the Cabaye deal. As other have said should have had a list of back ups or Clyne on a free etc...

I imagine we have messed up somewhere. Personally i reckon at the start when Debuchy was throwing up the biggest signs he might cause a fuss Lille wouldve let him go for the right amount. I reckon we tried to be clever and use it to negotiate a much lower price & as time passed Lille became aware that Debuchy wasnt going to cause as much disruption as he could have.

Yes both sides arent necessarily going to have the same viewpoint are they. Both of us thought we were in strong positions, i dont see how thats contradictory. We thought they were vunerable due to him wanting to leave & Cabaye, they obviously thought they could convince him to stay & they were apparently correct.

But you just made out that the idea of them selling was completely ridiculous. ??? If you've worked it out how come NUFC didn't?

And why didn't we move onto other targets when this became clear?

If Graham Carr had only identified one possible player all summer in our major problem position, who was a French international and Ligue 1 champion, then frankly he's not doing his job properly wouldn't you agree?

You are getting very f***ing annoying now. I said this before and you were banging on about what he was told last, now you want to know what he was told. If you are going to p*ss and moan and least follow the transfer sagas yourself.

If I said what he was told you would no doubt revert back to 'yeah but what was he told last!?!?!?111?'.

Can't be bothered tbh, as quoted he was told different reasons why he couldn't leave, they all seemed to change each time. He was told he wouldn't be allowed to leave until they signed an equivalent replacement which they haven't so it's obviously our fault, maybe we failed by not loaning them Carr.

You seem to miss the point that we knew how much his club valued him at and didn't match what they were looking for.

Would you sell something less than you valued it at just because somebody else wanted it?  If they valued him at £6 million and we'd bid that much and failed then nobody could complain. 

You are getting very f***ing annoying now. I said this before and you were banging on about what he was told last, now you want to know what he was told. If you are going to p*ss and moan and least follow the transfer sagas yourself.

You seem to miss the point that we knew how much his club valued him at and didn't match what they were looking for.

Would you sell something less than you valued it at just because somebody else wanted it?  If they valued him at £6 million and we'd bid that much and failed then nobody could complain. 

So we are going off what the media reported us to bid ignoring quotes from the selling club (said they wouldn't sell unless they replaced with equal quality, which they didn't) and player (said club kept giving him contradictory reasons as to why he couldn't leave)?

I'm done with this tbh, believe what you want to believe, personally I think it's moronic to believe there was only £500k-£1m difference between us signing the lad or not.

I also believe we should have had other options when it became clear they wouldn't sell for the record (again).

Where's neesy at tonight? I presume he's standing outside Denis Norden's house screaming "WHERE ARE YOU!?" in the fashion of Delia.

Shows what a sad person you are.

I bet you had to spell check that.

But you just made out that the idea of them selling was completely ridiculous. ??? If you've worked it out how come NUFC didn't?

And why didn't we move onto other targets when this became clear?

If Graham Carr had only identified one possible player all summer in our major problem position, who was a French international and Ligue 1 champion, then frankly he's not doing his job properly wouldn't you agree?

Well im talking with hindsight, i thought we were going to get him at the time aswell. At the start like i said in the previous post perhaps they would have let him go for the right amount, i doubt they were instantly certain hed be fine staying. Over time they probably became aware he wasnt going to kick up as much of a fuss & that strengthened their position. They raise the fee, Debuchy complains theyre moving the goalposts etc. He stays anyway. Guesswork but adds up.

Pards has said we have only 2 or 3 options per position. Again if you're going for a champions league place you're only going to sign quality, so while there are better players than Simpson around i doubt we'd put anyone on the books. Sounds like the few options we had just didnt work out.

So we are going off what the media reported us to bid ignoring quotes from the selling club (said they wouldn't sell unless they replaced with equal quality, which they didn't) and player (said club kept giving him contradictory reasons as to why he couldn't leave)?

I'm done with this tbh, believe what you want to believe, personally I think it's moronic to believe there was only £500k-£1m difference between us signing the lad or not.

I also believe we should have had other options when it became clear they wouldn't sell for the record (again).

They didn't have to get a replacement of any kind because we weren't willing to pay them what they though he was worth. 

And I do think they would turn down a bid which falls below the valuation they put on him, why wouldn't they?

Guest BooBoo

Didn't work out= baulked at the thought of saving to spend when there's kids and reserves already at the club doing nowt for their wages.

It's been shit and frustrating tbh.

Signed Anita who will be decent, Bigi who plays in the same position and it's up for debate whether he will be up to this level.  Completely out of his depth against a shit team from Greece although not gonna be silly and write the kid off that soon. 

Didn't strengthen in positions we really needed to.  Sold Best, didn't bring in another striker and didn't bring in a new CB or full back and now one has just been ruled out for basically the whole season.  2 months of hope on Debuchy without any other targets lined up incase it didn't materialise, what's that all about?

No strength in depth as fringe players like Gosling and Williamson are simply not good enough.

Gonna be a season of praying we don't get any more injuries.

If Lille is pissing at us. Fuck them. Fuck Debuchy and just move on.

It feels like a good old punch on the balls from Ashley when reading that we are done with the window, regardless our situation.

Ashley is pissing at us. He doesn´t care about the clubs success.

They didn't have to get a replacement of any kind because we weren't willing to pay them what they though he was worth. 

And I do think they would turn down a bid which falls below the valuation they put on him, why wouldn't they?

They were the ones who told us and Debuchy they wouldn't sell BEFORE they had a replacement of equal quality in. What were we supposed to do?

They were the ones who told us and Debuchy they wouldn't sell BEFORE they had a replacement of equal quality in. What were we supposed to do?

Have a plan B?  :dontknow:

Didn't work out= baulked at the thought of saving to spend when there's kids and reserves already at the club doing nowt for their wages.

From what we did with Cisse it seems likely we dont bother spending on a position if we think we can get better value at a later date. It means being patient & hoping the position doesnt cost us, but also results in a better player on the pitch in the long run if it comes off. Has worked for us so far.

Match the clubs valuation, which I think was a fair one.  If that doesn't work them move on knowing we'd done everything we could to bring the player here.