Chelsea 2 - 0 Newcastle United - 25/08/12 - post-fart reaction from page 35

Dave

Guest BooBoo

Questioning the pre-season now because of a defeat to the European Champions Chelsea? Eh, what next? Questioning the tea lady after losing to Man Utd?

It's not just today, in all three games we've looked by far the least fit side. Blowing out of our arse after 70 minutes.

Questioning the pre-season now because of a defeat to the European Champions Chelsea? Eh, what next? Questioning the tea lady after losing to Man Utd?

It's not just today, in all three games we've looked by far the least fit side. Blowing out of our arse after 70 minutes.

We didn't look too tired against Spurs, a few players did - like Cabaye or Tiote. We certainly didn't look tired after that time against Atromitos where we were chasing the game the whole time.

Today we seemed a bit blocked really but that's not really got much to do with pre-season tbh.

its gonna be a long season, maybe we are just easing ourselves in like a marathon runner.  too soon for the sprint etc.

I can't really be too devastated with the result today, the first being a penalty (deserved) and the second goal just being stunning. Our defense is pretty good, just need to get it to the strikers more.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20120825/taylor-we-paid-the-price_2281670_2900379

Taylor: "We Paid The Price"

By Dan King - Newcastle United Club Reporter

Steven Taylor cut an angst-ridden figure following Saturday's defeat at Chelsea - and admitted that Newcastle paid the price for a below-par first half display.

United were 2-0 down at half-time to Eden Hazard's penalty and Fernando Torres' strike and despite a much improved showing in the second period, the damage had already been done.

So although he was encouraged by the dramatic improvement after the break, the defender did not try to put a positive spin on the way the team performed before the interval.

"It couldn't have been any worse than the first half," he told nufc.co.uk after emerging from a disappointed dressing room.

"We didn't turn up in the first half, it's as simple as that. For us there was no energy on the pitch, or belief.

"The second half was much, much better and I think we bossed it be fair.

"When we got the ball in the last 15 minutes, there were some good chances there and that could have got us going. You could see Chelsea at times struggling a little bit and we had them on the back-foot a few times and I think we caused them some problems.

"But we can't afford to have 45 minutes like that every week. We paid the price first half.

"We probably gave them too much respect and let them have too much of the ball. That's what hurt us and we can learn from that and just get on with the next game."

It was a second game in three days for Alan Pardew's side, coming less than 48 hours after the Europa League tie against Atromitos in Greece.

But although the likes of Vurnon Anita, Papiss Cisse, Ryan Taylor and Jonas Gutierrez played in both matches, Taylor insisted tiredness was no excuse.

"Not at all," he said. "We've had players who have been rested and we tried to get going, but it took us 45 minutes.

"And when you come to places like Chelsea, you can't afford to give them a 45 minute head start.

"So we will look at that game again and ask a few questions. They're a good team and they've got good players, but we've also got a good team so hopefully we can bounce back next week."

Aston Villa are the next Barclays Premier League opponents for Newcastle, with the Villans coming to the St James' Park next Sunday afternoon.

The opening fixture of the season against Tottenham was a sell-out and tickets for the clash against the claret and blues are on sale here.

And Taylor called on the Gallowgate faithful to help cheer their team back to winning ways.

"Back at our stadium, that's what it's all about for us - getting back that winning mentality and hopefully trying to push on," he said.

"And with the support we've got, that will help us so hopefully we'll get a full house."

:thup:

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20120825/taylor-we-paid-the-price_2281670_2900379

Steven Taylor cut an angst-ridden figure following Saturday's defeat at Chelsea - and admitted that Newcastle paid the price for a below-par first half display.

United were 2-0 down at half-time to Eden Hazard's penalty and Fernando Torres' strike and despite a much improved showing in the second period, the damage had already been done.

So although he was encouraged by the dramatic improvement after the break, the defender did not try to put a positive spin on the way the team performed before the interval.

"It couldn't have been any worse than the first half," he told nufc.co.uk after emerging from a disappointed dressing room.

"We didn't turn up in the first half, it's as simple as that. For us there was no energy on the pitch, or belief.

"When we got the ball in the last 15 minutes, there were some good chances there and that could have got us going. You could see Chelsea at times struggling a little bit and we had them on the back-foot a few times and I think we caused them some problems.

"But we can't afford to have 45 minutes like that every week. We paid the price first half.

"We probably gave them too much respect and let them have too much of the ball. That's what hurt us and we can learn from that and just get on with the next game."

It was a second game in three days for Alan Pardew's side, coming less than 48 hours after the Europa League tie against Atromitos in Greece.

But although the likes of Vurnon Anita, Papiss Cisse, Ryan Taylor and Jonas Gutierrez played in both matches, Taylor insisted tiredness was no excuse.

"Not at all," he said. "We've had players who have been rested and we tried to get going, but it took us 45 minutes.

"And when you come to places like Chelsea, you can't afford to give them a 45 minute head start.

"So we will look at that game again and ask a few questions. They're a good team and they've got good players, but we've also got a good team so hopefully we can bounce back next week."

Aston Villa are the next Barclays Premier League opponents for Newcastle, with the Villans coming to the St James' Park next Sunday afternoon.

The opening fixture of the season against Tottenham was a sell-out and tickets for the clash against the claret and blues are on sale here.

And Taylor called on the Gallowgate faithful to help cheer their team back to winning ways.

"Back at our stadium, that's what it's all about for us - getting back that winning mentality and hopefully trying to push on," he said.

"And with the support we've got, that will help us so hopefully we'll get a full house."

:undecided:

Guest bimpy474

I hate this losing lark. I'm going to eat a massive chocolate mud pie and a tub of 2 litre ice cream.

When Mrs Bimpy gets home from work in the morning she will cave my head in for nicking her elevenses. Ahhh well.

:undecided:

IMO , I don't think the players believed the preparation was good enough to win a game at Chelsea. Having to train in London was a bit of a stinker.

We are so unfit it´s just unreal. And that is not just about fitness, also about our accuracy in passing, moment. What the hell are we doing in our pre-seasons?!

How can you be unfit in passing?  get a grip man we've just had our best season in aeons, got into Europe and have lost 1 (yes, one) game where we weren't perfect but played alright. 

this game proved the defensive importance of Tiote. are we sure he's carrying a slight injury? or not included so he won't be injured and sold for 20million pounds before Aug 31?

Read this earlier but didn't post as I was on my mobile basically  :facepalm: ad nauseum.

Lets ignore quotes from Pardew about Tiote being an exceptionally important player for us this season. Let's ignore the many times Tiote has come out and said he doesn't want to move. Lets ignore the fact he was used and picked up a slight knock against Tottenham and the fact you cant be cup-tied for the premier league. Afterall caughtoffside did a sodding article about Arsenal's interest. You may even be right about the transfer, but if you are its contrary to all principles of sound logic and for entirely the wrong reasons.

As for the game itself, the big problem for me is not the 4-4-2 per se its just the fact that the strikers just generally minced around in the middle. Neither ran the channel very much making it hard to retain possession. If we are playing 4-4-2 then there are two things that I believe need to happen, Ba needs to drop deeper allowing Cisse to make runs in behind and there needs to be a freer role for Hatem.

I didn't think the wingers covered back enough in the first half on either side, notably Santon was left exposed far too many times.

That being said Chelsea are a top side on another planet to us in terms of money spent and its too easy to be hyper-critical of the lads due to disappointment. On another day they wouldn't have scored and we would of said what a good performance a point was.

Frustrating, sure. We still have some very good players (most some way from top form), 3 points on the board and a very winnable game next weekend.

HWTL. 

I hate this losing lark. I'm going to eat a massive chocolate mud pie and a tub of 2 litre ice cream.

When Mrs Bimpy gets home from work in the morning she will cave my head in for nicking her elevenses. Ahhh well.

Save a bit and smear some on your purple cyclops before you turn in, then when she kicks off in the morning, pull back the covers to reveal her sweet flacid treat!

Here, we just got beat 2-0 by the european champions. They were even better than they were in may due to that belgian twat and we were without Tiote.

Lets just dust ourselves off and move on.

Guest bimpy474

Save a bit and smear some on your purple cyclops before you turn in, then when she kicks off in the morning, pull back the covers to reveal her sweet flacid treat!

All i'd get is a punch in the throat for that.

All i'd get is a punch in the throat for that.

Then all hope has truely gone :weep:

Guest bimpy474

To be fair chocolate and ice creaam on the pubics after 8 hours kip would not be the most enticing of prospects

:nods:

we really need a left footed LB, and Santon or new RB on the other side.

the space simpson often found himself in was astonishing but a pass to him never really resulted in furthering an attack.

Dunno if anyone has seen it or mentioned it, but in the NUFCtv interview Anita said the following regarding the penalty - "didn't feel there was contact, I think it was a little dive".

I only saw it twice or something, it was pretty clear wasn't it?

I thought we looked alright at times. Chelsea seemed noticably better than they were in the 2 matches we played against them last season.

Strikers looked a bit rusty - I thought that by the end we had made enough chances for one of them to get us a goal.

A little disappointing but I didn't see anything too worrying in terms of how the season might pan out (save for no strikers on the bench)

Villa look absolutely dreadful atm - that game could be a good opportunity to get rid of some cobwebs. If we can get to full time in that match with 6 points from 3, in Europe, and with one or two new players onboard, then everything will be looking very good indeed imo