Nail your colours to the mast - where will we finish?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I put 6th. I can see a similar season to last one.

Obviously we got the points to reach 5th last time, but our modest goal difference indicates that we managed to win a large percentage of tight games, rather than dominate the teams who finished further down the table. That was down to good organisation and tactical thinking.

I'd like to see us step up a level and play a more skilful, passing game, but I don't think we have the players in place to do that yet. So I foresee a similar position to last time.

Obviously we got the points to reach 5th last time, but our modest goal difference indicates that we managed to win a large percentage of tight games, rather than dominate the teams who finished further down the table. That was down to good organisation and tactical thinking.

I'd like to see us step up a level and play a more skilful, passing game, but I don't think we have the players in place to do that yet. So I foresee a similar position to last time.

The modest goal difference was more down to some batterings imo (Spurs away, Fulham away, Wigan away, etc). We got -12 from those 3 games alone.

The modest goal difference was more down to some batterings imo (Spurs away, Fulham away, Wigan away, etc). We got -12 from those 3 games alone.

I think my point still stands. We took a few batterings, but didn't give any out. I think 3-0 against Stoke was our biggest win.

I think my point still stands. We took a few batterings, but didn't give any out. I think 3-0 against Stoke was our biggest win.

Cronky is absolutely right IMO. The large majority of our wins were tight affairs. Very few comfy victories with two-goal cushions, for example.

All credit for the discipline and organisation behind that, but it also requires some good fortune. Not something which you want to rely on for another season. Games at home against Norwich, QPR and Wigan last season all spring to mind - games which we might just as easily have lost. Even the Villa game at home last year was a nervier affair than it ought to have been.

With extra midweek games to contend with this season, I think it's even more likely that Pardew will instruct the team to take their foot off the gas if we get a narrow lead :dontknow:

Today at Villa represents a good chance for us to assert ourselves with a performance and a win, but I've seen little to encourage me that we will see that in the three or so competitive games our first-team has played (I'm counting Atromitos at home given we had enough players on the park to make that less close).

if the players who have had thier heads turned decide they want to do it for us we will do well, if not then we wont match last season, its as simple as that in my mind. whether the players want it or not. pardew can only do so much its up to how much the players want to give now....................

• 4 months later...

2nd bottom if Pardews still here, 4th bottom if we can get rid of him at least early enough for a new manager to have an influence