How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

Didn't Shearer have a bit of a fall out with him once? something about him pretending to be hit in the face and clearly was faking it?

:lol:

Still, what a player mind. Could do anything with the ball, was pretty consistent as well. Over-shadowed by Ronaldo really.

Guest neesy111

*That* hattrick against Valencia :smitten:

Possibly one of the best single performances by a player in our shirt.

He needed to as well, you's had to win to qualify for the Champions League.

• 2 weeks later...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/07/20/article-0-014DA29C0000044D-404_468x584.jpg

Patrick Stephan Kluivert.

Bit of a weird one for me. Can't make my mind up on really how good he was, whether he was one of the greatest strikers of the past 20 years or not really all that at all. Thoughts?

Topical one for a NUFC forum as well, of course.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/07/20/article-0-014DA29C0000044D-404_468x584.jpg

Patrick Stephan Kluivert.

Bit of a weird one for me. Can't make my mind up on really how good he was, whether he was one of the greatest strikers of the past 20 years or not really all that at all. Thoughts?

Topical one for a NUFC forum as well, of course.

He was unfit when he arrived with us but I was confident SBR could have brought back some of his old silky skills...SBR left and I think Souness gave him some chances but as souey would say "not a proper player"

Overall, a class finisher and great on his day.  Could have been even better.

I can see what Disco is saying because he did have capabilities to go from the ridiculous to the sublime rather quickly.....

But i don't think Balotelli has even half the talent Kluivert had and as i mentioned before i loved his partnership with Rivaldo.

Great player none the less though, just a little bit below some of the best of his time due to consistency issues.

I also felt he didn't get a fair go at it for us he could have been so much more for us but Souness :angry:

What's up with picking up Barça players for this? I like it, mind... :lol:

Kluivert was a puzzler. He had it all. Size to play the big man role coupled with uncanny technique and vision, plus a fierce shot. Yet it never quite clicked. He was good for us, mind, but he never had that one *great* season, just a bunch of good ones, and always seemed to miss too many goals for a #9. Switching him for Eto'o was one of the keys to our success; a much more limited player but that was just better at putting it on the back of the net.

Guest neesy111

Get's far too much criticism for his 1 season at NUFC, he was decent and scored 13 goals.

Him and Bellamy were by far our best partnership that season, except we had Graeme Souness in charge ffs.

Get's far too much criticism for his 1 season at NUFC, he was decent and scored 13 goals.

Him and Bellamy were by far our best partnership that season, except we had Graeme Souness in charge ffs.

:thup:

Bobby was past his best by that point but we could've achieved something with Kluivert and Bellamy up front like he wanted it.

Since Keegan times, there's only a small percentage of strikers that we have favourable memories of, beyond question.

Dismissing 'cult hero status', the likes of Martins, Sibierski, Gallagher, Shola, Chopra, Ferguson, Lua Lua, Cort - whilst popular in some quarters - don't fall into that percentage. We've also had some talented strikers, whose memories have been tarnished by the circumstances in which they left - namely Owen and Carroll. Imo, none of these strikers fall into a category whereby we look back that fondly.

That also goes for the likes of Kluivert and Viduka, neither of whom left a particularly sour taste and were even brilliant on their day. However, the circumstances of the club (or the minor impact they had), render them fairly forgettable.

Until just recently, i'd actually say that up front has been a problem position, particularly since Shearer's departure and the Owen fiasco. You could argue that the only strikers who have a defined "yep, they were brilliant, no question"-label are Shearer and Bellamy (and now maybe/probably Ba and Cisse).

I liked Kluivert when he was on the pitch; he and Bellamy had real potential as a pairing. A skilful, all-round striker, who was prone to injury and whose passion for the game had largely dissipated by the time he came to Newcastle. There was the Souness factor, too, who insisted on playing a Shearer who had lost a lot of ability by that point. It was a shame Sir Bobby couldn't have signed Kluivert sooner, because he would have been extremely useful during Bellamy's prolonged absences in 03 and 04.

Some of our players thought he was so advanced/had such a great footballing brain that they didn't understand his level of play sometimes and what he was going to create.

Aye he was a different wave length to those around him.... when ever i watched Ginola after he left us for the likes of Spurs and Villa etc etc i got the same feeling like they didn't have a clue what he was going to do.